REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
The Wrestler

Amazing film.
Mickey Rourke plays Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He's a great wrestler back in the days and 20 years later he's surviving doing shows on the road. The entire movie is very similar to how The Office is filmed. (i'm not sure what that type of shooting style is called. NOT as crazy as Blair Witch, but it's filmed like a documentary).

It shows the life of old wrestler + a love interest line with a stripper + trying to connect with his daughter. I really liked this movie, it moved kinda of slow but man, Mickey played such a great role making you feel like you are with him the entire time and it just shows sometimes as much as WWF is all fake and shit, this really touched me in a way.

Truly an amazing movie. Slumdog Millionaire had a great story line, Ben button had a great love story, this one was had great story AND a great actor. This is why i wouldn't think Brad will win for best actor.

FYI
Won the Golden Lion Award at Venice Film Festival
Nominated for three Golden Globes
1) Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama
2) Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture Drama for Marisa Tomei
3) Best Original Song for "The Wrestler"

Spoiler!
Advertisement

Last edited by 6793026; 01-09-2009 at 01:00 PM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Retired Mod

It looks like a pretty good film. I will have to check it out.
abinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Watched it last night and thought it was a great film. He's so believable as this character because of his boxing/chemical past and the way he looks. Watch this movie it's totally worth it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I agree, this movie was fantastic.
I remember watching the special on Jake the snake roberts years ago, and how he has ended up. Similar decline in career and life.

And Marisa Tomei... looked good hehe
OriginalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
he was better in sin city, movie was eh
great ass on MT
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
he was better in sin city, movie was eh
great ass on MT
Strongly disagree with better in Sin City but he was good in that movie as well.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Watched this as well, Rourke did a great job in this one. Ram jam, ram jam!!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Fanboy

the nintendo game was awesome
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #9

not playing at my theatre.....where did u watch it??
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

it was an old movie back in dec. download it if u want. screeners that are dvd quality and oh eyah, just won best actor for golden globe.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
rourke looked especially crude in this film. he must have gained at least 30 lbs.
as always, he delivered fantastically. couldn't have cast a more phenomenal actor for the role
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #12

Definitely not a film for everybody. Watched it last night at Scotiabank theatre because it wasn't playing in our theatre. 6 people must have walked out..

I enjoyed it though...because i grew up watching wrestling.

After watching this, now i want to watch one of those grungy local wrestling venues they have in the Fraser Valley now.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #13

Somebody was talking about 'shotting style' and 'documentary style' that this movie was done in,....and its actually done in a style that i have never seen before (but probably used in the past).

Its done almost like it was the style of a first person point of view (but not exactly). You'll notice throughout the whole movie, the "Ram" was in every single scene, pretty much every shot, and always focussed on him. There was no "this is going on at the same time at a different place." If i was to have a guess'timation of how many minutes that Mickey Rourke wasn't on the screen....i would say it was probably less than 10 minutes. Thats a LOT of Mickey Rourke.

And i said...i followed Wrestling as a kid, and when i grew older, i was always curious about the lives behind wrestlers, as well as the band-wagon shows, like which was displayed in the movie.

And everybody wonders WHY steroids are a big problem with wrestlers back then...and today. And this movie gives the TRUE answer of why steroids are used in wrestling; not for looks, not for muscles....

I watched this VERY interesting interview on youtube (that i can't find) of old these wrestlers in the 80's known as the Barbarian and Warlord. When they entered the WWF, they were THE TEAM to beat Demolition, the current tag team champions of the time, yet they never won the tag team championship...ever.

Heres the cole's notes version of the interview (which was done in like 2005):
The Barbarian and the Warlord never won the tag team championship was because the REFUSED to use steroids. At that time (and still today) the WWF/WWE was a road show that consisted of 200+ shows a year in 200 cities, which averages of more than one show in two days, meaning less than two days to recover from the previous show's injuries, and less than half a day between travelling time to work out.

The use of steroids was REGULATED by the WWF/WWE, WCW.....but of course it was a substance that was banned by all wrestling federations lower than that because there was no need for steroids as a means to recover from injuries faster. But if you wanted to perform in the 'big' stage, you gotta make sure that you're in the condition to compete in every show that you're scheduled for; a no show for the entertainment business wasn't good, especially if you are a 'Champion.'

If you want to be a Champion, then you have to recognize that no matter if you are a Face or a Heel, you're a main attraction whether they wanted to see you win, or wanted to see you get the shit kicked out of you. That means, you're going to be in every single road show, tv show, and pay-per view scheduled. In other words, you've gotta take the substances that will make sure that you appear to all the scheduled shows and make it look like you were never hurt from the previous show in the first place.

I loved this interview....it gave such a great insight of the lives of professional wrestlers, and stuff they have to go through to entertain people.

Thats why i liked 'The Wrestler'....because it was the same story of people like Rowdy Roddy, and Hogan, Mr. Wonderful, Ric Flair before they became headliners in their industry.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
after about the age of 12, i thought that wrestling was something only viewed by the average low brow yokel. after watching this film, it reminded me of how acrobatic and synchronized these people need to be.
i used to love the old days of wwf. interviews carried out by mean gene oakerland of characters like the iron shiek and the ultimate warrior. i remember playing the royal rumble arcade at the 7-11 on king ed and fraser into the late hours of the night. maneuvering the big boss man's power move of cuffing the opponent to the ropes and beating him with his nightstick.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 01-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #15

For any old school wrestling fans, i just wanted to share a video of Marty Janetty sharing two of his road stories with the Iron Sheik. The second story made me fall out of my chair and almost made me pass out laughing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZmZ0ZVq48
Old 01-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

It was okay at times but i think the movie was just really slow.
Also it doesn't really have a climax
Gary Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav44 View Post
It was okay at times but i think the movie was just really slow.
Also it doesn't really have a climax
the beginning was like wtf, why is it slow, but i thought the pacing was great. i have to honestly admit i was at the edge of my seat, i felt for 'the ram'. I thought BEN button was freaking way slower than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Somebody was talking about 'shotting style' and 'documentary style' that this movie was done in,....and its actually done in a style that i have never seen before (but probably used in the past).

I watched this VERY interesting interview on youtube (that i can't find) of old these wrestlers in the 80's known as the Barbarian and Warlord. When they entered the WWF, they were THE TEAM to beat Demolition, the current tag team champions of the time, yet they never won the tag team championship...ever.

Thats why i liked 'The Wrestler'....because it was the same story of people like Rowdy Roddy, and Hogan, Mr. Wonderful, Ric Flair before they became headliners in their industry.
i've watched wrestling back in the days of the big boss man, the ultimate wrestler and there are a lot of politics regarding why and who might win.
i have a whole lot of respect for wrestlers now after seeing this movie.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #18

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread but if you found this movie interesting check out Beyond the Mat. It's an interesting look into wrestling and the wrestlers behind the scenes.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Good Movie

watching Marisa Tomei strip dancing already worth it
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Great Movie
Definitely worth watching
paun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
Good Movie

watching Marisa Tomei strip dancing already worth it
I've been waiting for this for 15 years....

Back then, i was wanting luscious fruit....now after all these years, all i get are raisins.

I still like raisins though.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #22
I STILL don't get it

i enjoyed watching this movie. it has a good plot line. Marisa Tomei in nude is a bonus.
143what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
the casting was really great in this movie, no one could have done it better then rourke

it's definately a "different" kind of movie, and doesnt follow the typical highs and lows, but i thought it was really great, one scene in paticular that just shows how rough it is was when they were in the legion at that little show, and the ram looks around and almost every other wreslter is fucked up in some way, wheelchair, cathider, etc.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
I am grateful grapefruit

just watched this. i thought it was great - i really liked the editing. it really went from the high of the moment of the fight - to the loneliness the ram felt at home. it's not a fast paced movie - but you really understood the character and just felt him. you felt the pain he felt, you understand what it's like.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

great movie, big fan!!!

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote