REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Investment Allocation Opinion

So got a new job and we gotta contribute to the VESP - Vancouver Employees Savings Plan. We get to allocate our money to EGF Fund, Equity Fund, Income Fund, and Savings Fund. Of course you can do 100% all into one or 25% in each or whatever you want. I`m a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and was just wondering if anybody who has knowledge in this would give their opinion on what`s best?
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

how old are you?

I joined when I was 24, so 100% equity fund
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
how old are you?

I joined when I was 24, so 100% equity fund
I'm 26 turning 27 this year. So as you already know I don't know shiet all about this stuff. Anybody mind sharing their opinion on the pros and cons of each?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I'm 26 turning 27 this year. So as you already know I don't know shiet all about this stuff. Anybody mind sharing their opinion on the pros and cons of each?
the main difference between the 4 are the risk factor. usually money market funds has very low risk, but also very low return, with equity on the other end of the stick. Risk and return are the pros and cons, it's that simple with RSP.

I went with equity because being 24, even if I lose EVERY THING in the rsp account my loss is limited, and I have time to catch up, while at the mean time the growth potential is the biggest since I am starting early.

Your enrollment package should have detail descriptions on the 4 funds, their composition, annual returns and risk levels. Sit down and think where do you want to be in 2/5/7 years and how much can you afford to lose.

The package should also have a brief risk acceptance test included as well.

IMO the market has tanked so much, equity funds have seem the majority of withdrawals so it is probably a good time to enter right now. The stock market generally has a 7 year cycle of up and downs, so keep that in mind and switch when things get too hot.

It just happened.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
the main difference between the 4 are the risk factor. usually money market funds has very low risk, but also very low return, with equity on the other end of the stick. Risk and return are the pros and cons, it's that simple with RSP.

I went with equity because being 24, even if I lose EVERY THING in the rsp account my loss is limited, and I have time to catch up, while at the mean time the growth potential is the biggest since I am starting early.

Your enrollment package should have detail descriptions on the 4 funds, their composition, annual returns and risk levels. Sit down and think where do you want to be in 2/5/7 years and how much can you afford to lose.

The package should also have a brief risk acceptance test included as well.

IMO the market has tanked so much, equity funds have seem the majority of withdrawals so it is probably a good time to enter right now. The stock market generally has a 7 year cycle of up and downs, so keep that in mind and switch when things get too hot.
Yea we just got the descriptions today. Thanks for the info dude. I`ll definitely look into it and make a decision from there. Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I remember with my company when I first started at 24 i chose investment options that were riskier with higher return, when things started to go south recently, i shifted out and moved it into safer money market funds with lower return but virtually no risk.

Remember that you can/should be able to allocate and change funds as you see fit. when markets are doing better take out of safer options and adjust accordingly and vice versa
10051981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Yea we just got the descriptions today. Thanks for the info dude. I`ll definitely look into it and make a decision from there. Thanks again!
no problem. you are at a GREAT time to get into equity. The market will recover with a year or two, so buying bi-weekly into equity will get you good bargains

It just happened.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
no problem. you are at a GREAT time to get into equity. The market will recover with a year or two, so buying bi-weekly into equity will get you good bargains
Although I don't know shiet it makes sense to me lol. Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Although I don't know shiet it makes sense to me lol. Thanks again!
Take time to learn about this stuff. Read up on stuff like asset-allocation strategy and get familiar with the sorts of things that matter, like your risk tolerance, investment goals and investment horizon.

Example site:
http://www.fool.com/investing/basics/index.aspx

You probably spend some time researching and scoping out deals on your cel phone/plan, shiny new home theater system.

Do yourself a favour. It's your retirement/future slush fund so give it the attention that it deserves.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post

Do yourself a favour. It's your retirement/future slush fund so give it the attention that it deserves.
I totally agree. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

It's difficult to determine what to invest in based on the name of the fund being invested into. For example, EGF Fund, tells me nothing. For other people to give opinions more info would definitely be needed. Keep in mind that even "Income" funds might have equity components in them. g/l
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #12

^the enrollment package will have a breakdown of all the funds available for a RSP package, their holdings, performances, and risks

It just happened.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Lets say your 65 tomorrow , and you've been giving me money for the last 38 years to make it multiply. and over the years you've given me about 94k and i've made it grow to about 123k. But you come to me tomorrow and you say, Tiger I want my 123K now. and i say Mr.Winson here is 54K ,and ill give you the other bit in couple of years?

deal?

answer that questions honestly and you'll know your risk level. and how much to allocate into each fund.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Lets say your 65 tomorrow , and you've been giving me money for the last 38 years to make it multiply. and over the years you've given me about 94k and i've made it grow to about 123k. But you come to me tomorrow and you say, Tiger I want my 123K now. and i say Mr.Winson here is 54K ,and ill give you the other bit in couple of years?

deal?

answer that questions honestly and you'll know your risk level. and how much to allocate into each fund.

I'd say the guy is a dumb ass for pulling 123k outa his RRSP at once. tax rapped.

I'd also say the guy is fucked either way if he retires off 54k or 123k. you need like 1.5 mill at 65.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
theres no way in hell you can have 1.5mil at 65 ... unless u make 6fig salary all ur life ...
or a dual income family with 1 pay or most of 1pay going straight to retirement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

that's why lots of people will be working past 65 in the future!

there is no way you could retire off 100k.

Last edited by johny; 01-18-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
theres no way in hell you can have 1.5mil at 65 ... unless u make 6fig salary all ur life ...
or a dual income family with 1 pay or most of 1pay going straight to retirement
It is possible. However, given that we are a culture based on consumerism, most of you probably will not have the will power to save that much, believing that you would have a low standard of living if otherwise.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

I have no idea what VESP is, but I just got the 2008 report from my system.

income fund +3.4%
balanced -17%
equity -31%

mine's all in equity.... but that's where it'll stay. it's got another 30+ years to recover. it'll be moved down in risk as I get closer to retiring.