REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
AJL
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Final, first weekend in Victoria

So after a long 3 months of working here i finally (hopefully) don't have to head back to Vancouver for the weekend. So without google or any Internet searching i pose the question to anyone who reads this in time...

What to do and or see this weekend?

I have to get my DL changed and deal with ICBC sometime Saturday and we are thinking about heading to langford(?) to use up some gift cards for lob-laws... i assume this is the closest lob-laws.

What else should i try to get out and see this weekend?
I was thinking of walking around the core to see some of the small shops...
Then finding the outlets to use up some gift cards from xmas as well. But i can do this anytime.

I keep looking at the seawall and wondering how long it would take to walk around it and think if its clear i could get a few good pictures..

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

I'm not much help. I'm an engineering student and don't leave the house.

But what the hell is lob-laws?

The breakwater (seawall?) is pretty cool though. I think it's about a kilometer and a half to walk out there and back.
The parliment building looks cool at night, and it's kinda fun to walk through the empress and look at the old pictures on the walls.
ness_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Banned (BBM)

check out malahat mountain inn (for view) don't eat there unless you want to waste money! :P

cloverpoint is nice, saxpoint, like ness said parliment buildings etc.

Oh the boardwalk in esquimault is a good walk, start from head street and head down to spinnakers brewpub! Good eats and KILLER VIEW (30min walk from beginning of boardwalk to spinnakers)

Highly recommend it

Lob-laws is the sister company of superstore. We don't have a loblaws in Victoria, i don't know if superstore will let you use the giftcards : /
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
lob-laws, president's choice, the superstore... same deal

walk around dt and see all the small shops. There are buttloads of them down there, and I finally went down there a couple a months ago and walked around and there are tons!

sea-wall is cool, go whalewatching if you have time. It costs a bit of coin, but it is a really unique experience.

It's supposed to be sunny, maybe go rent some scooters? you will freeze your ass off though even on a warm day.
go see how many pubs you can hit dt
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

If you want to get your dance on, Mat the Alien is playing Hush Saturday night.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #6

If you're out Langford way, check out Smoken' Bones for the best Southern Style BBQ you're likely to have. Bring an appetite. It's great chow if you're going to be hiking around on a cool day. Head up to Bear Mountain if you're looking for some more upscale dining, same goes for the Malahat Mountain Inn.

As mentioned walking around downtown can be pretty interesting if you're new here. Saturday would be the better day for that. If you prefer woods hiking, I can point out all manner of day hike trails/ parks in the area depending on what you're looking for.

If the weather is lousy, the BC Museum is a good bet if you're into that kind of stuff, same for the Wax Museum. Undersea Gardens is overrated in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
dustinb

As Christian said, don't bother with the Undersea gardens downtown, it's pretty useless. Outside of Victoria there is also butchart gardens, which I'm pretty sure is still doing their Christmas light show.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
AJL

thanks for the ideas I will make sure i get out to check them all out. I assumed the underwater seagarden was a waste of time, last time we were here the wife took me out to the beach and told me all kinds of stuff i didn't listen too, keeping in mind she is a biology student that is more marine then anything. I think we will head back to walk the beach along the seawall near beacon hill park this weekend.

as stated loblaws is the parent company of Real Canadian superstore, i know of the one out in langford but was somewhat hoping one was closer... i will have to talk to loblaws about this and see if they want to build one in Victoria.

From the sounds of it i will leave my wallet at home and walk down to downtown to look around, this was the wife can't spend money if i don't have it on me, maybe then i can get my car fixed. Didn't realize you could go walk around the empress but i will check it out since i wanted to get pics of that building and the parliament building at night with all the lights on.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to pick up two cheap bikes? I was referred to a place by town and country but was wondering if another place in town sold used bikes?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
thanks for the ideas I will make sure i get out to check them all out. I assumed the underwater seagarden was a waste of time, last time we were here the wife took me out to the beach and told me all kinds of stuff i didn't listen too, keeping in mind she is a biology student that is more marine then anything. I think we will head back to walk the beach along the seawall near beacon hill park this weekend.

as stated loblaws is the parent company of Real Canadian superstore, i know of the one out in langford but was somewhat hoping one was closer... i will have to talk to loblaws about this and see if they want to build one in Victoria.

From the sounds of it i will leave my wallet at home and walk down to downtown to look around, this was the wife can't spend money if i don't have it on me, maybe then i can get my car fixed. Didn't realize you could go walk around the empress but i will check it out since i wanted to get pics of that building and the parliament building at night with all the lights on.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to pick up two cheap bikes? I was referred to a place by town and country but was wondering if another place in town sold used bikes?
Your best bet is Recyclista's near town and country. It's somewhat of a hippy organization, but bikes should be cheap. When leaving Victoria on highway 1 (douglas), you'll drive past wal mart (Town and country). Turn right on harriet (Budget rent a car on that corner), and then an immediate right on Crease Ave. Recyclista is at the very end of the street on the right (it's hard to find because it's set back). It's right on the galloping goose trail (which is a great bike ride, especially if you cycle it out to thetis lake.) And you should check out Thetis lake too. It's a good little hike.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #10

Usedvictoria will have lots of bikes too. I'm not sure if Sports Traders carries used bikes, but they do carry other used sporting goods, they'd be worth calling.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
i will have to talk to loblaws about this and see if they want to build one in Victoria.
they are building one right by mayfair mall, its just not done yet
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Sick motherfucker mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
they are building one right by mayfair mall, its just not done yet
that might not be happening at all, there was an article in the TC and they would not comment when they would start that project. Probably because they figured out there is going to be a walmart super store less than 2kms from them. BRING-BACK-BOWLING
rental_metard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
AJL

Hate to admit it but i was looking at the design presentation the architect was presenting to the city. I would assume they are aware of the wal-mart being built... I would also think that since Loblaws is going head to head with wal-mart across canada they will open the store to see how well it does... i am somewhat surprised they have not introduced a no frills in the victoria area (loblaws discount food).
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
We have Save on Foods which is a nicer looking Loblaws

Just moved to Ontario and I have to get used to all these grocery stores, so far not impressed haha. Loblaws is gigantic and has a ton of house brand food, reminds me of Extra Foods(Which I hate). And what is with these "Independant" stores? I want Thrifty's! Sorry i'm bitter
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
AJL

find an A&P. all those independant store are owned by A&P i believe (it is there extra foods) while loblaws owns No frills and RCSS
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Superstore > Walmart.

If you want to venture further west, brunch at Mom's in Sooke is always good (avoid their dinner menu though).
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
AJL

I think i will make a list and see what I can get done over the winter, seems like lots of things to explore around here, and I hear nanimo is a nice little town to visit as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
I think i will make a list and see what I can get done over the winter, seems like lots of things to explore around here, and I hear nanimo is a nice little town to visit as well.
You heard wrong, it's a truck stop with good PR

If you do head up island though, be sure to ask/ search here first. There are a lot of things you're not likely to find on your own that are worth checking out, and now that you live on the Island, we'd be glad to tell you about them.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
dustinb

Quote:
The Parksville / Qualicum area is really nice. In particular, there is a provincial park called Little Qualicum falls that is awesome for a hike, and great for camping.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
and now that you live on the Island, we'd be glad to tell you about them.
now that you're one of us
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
AJL

where is the qualicum falls?

I also have my parents coming out for 10 days at the end of may and i am sure they will be interested in alot of this stuff as well.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #22
dustinb

Quote:
where is the qualicum falls?

I also have my parents coming out for 10 days at the end of may and i am sure they will be interested in alot of this stuff as well.
All the info you should need can be found here:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...ualicum_falls/

It's about a 2 and a half hour drive from here, but well worth it. There's a huge beach in Qualicum as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
AJL

so today we made it to langford to go shopping. Didn't think with traffic it would take us nearly as long as it did to pick up what we needed and get back home. Also got a brief walk on dallas road with about 100 other people, didn't realize it would get that busy down there, is it always busy or just a one off thing due to nice weather?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #24
dustinb

Quote:
so today we made it to langford to go shopping. Didn't think with traffic it would take us nearly as long as it did to pick up what we needed and get back home. Also got a brief walk on dallas road with about 100 other people, didn't realize it would get that busy down there, is it always busy or just a one off thing due to nice weather?
Dallas road is almost always that busy.