REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Anyone driven to Calgary lately?

i'd like to know what the road conditions were like on the highways. the weather network says there are some slippery sections, but that could mean anything. they are always so vague.

my grandpa is very sick and i may have to drive out there in the next few days in a 240sx on all season tires. figure i should start thinking about winter tires or just pick up some chains for the trip?
Advertisement
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

fly
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I wouldn't dare to drive out to calgary in this weather..you'll be up in high mountain conditions..roads may be covered in snow and severe snowstorm can hit there at anytime.

not to mention the highways could be closed too..

Take the plane..much safer.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Winter tires for sure. And even then I would say fly.
I did that trip with my parents a couple weeks ago and even with winter tires and 4x4 we almost lost it once.

Also no point in asking about road conditions. If you would leave tomorrow morning you look tomorrow to see what the conditions are like. They can change from hour to our this time of year.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

flying out there next week...59$ each way
ssonss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

i have to make a few stops on the way, so flying isn't the best option.

i guess i'll just start looking for some good snow tires. i know the 240 isn't great in the snow, but it isn't lowered and i've felt safer, atleast more in control of it in ice/snow than i have with a gmc 4x4.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

way cheaper to fly but if you're going to have to stop then I would suggest renting a suv?
ride98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #8

It's not even that...sometimes the roads may be CLOSED and you will be forced to turn back. making that trip during the winter is ballsy

greyhound busses were getting cancelled and delayed last week due to road conditions.

you also realise there will be long stretches in the mountains where you will have no cellphone reception? Even during the summer, I sometimes get paranoid and start thinking what if i crashed and flew off the road into the forest, would anyone find me?

anyways, here's some sites i use to keep track of what the roads are like. Rogers pass is the highest point and usually worst conditions. In and around Golden has very treacherous mountain areas. Be safe

http://www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/Route.htm

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pages/index.html

http://www.highwayconditions.com/

http://www.drivebc.ca/map.jsp?distri...0&showAll=true

http://www.drivebc.ca/map.jsp?mapId=...chkbxCamera=on

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ i would protect you in prison.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I really would avoid the drive at all costs. I've driven up a few times in the past years with family and its so variable its crazy. Sometimes it could be totally fine, other times you can't see more than 5 meters in front of you.

If you do go, get both winter tires and chains. If you've never put chains on before, practice before you leave. It can be a pain, especially in the snow. Bring a shovel.

The drive is not as easy as people like to think it is. You most likely will be one of the only cars on the road (especially in coupe form). I drove to Saskatoon last April, and i hit heavy snow driving into Calgary at night around banff. Could barely see. The area right after Golden is also quite bad.

I just read my post over and it sounds pretty harsh, but the first time i did the drive in my Probe with that weather everyone told me all this, but i thought it would be fine. I made it safely, but it's something i wouldn't repeat again.

I guess one last tip, maybe avoid the Coq (Hwy 5) and just take Hwy 1 to Kamloops through Cache Creek.

I hope your Grandpa gets better!

Last edited by StewartJD; 01-17-2009 at 09:34 AM.
StewartJD is offline   Reply With Quote