REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

How to mod A H22a1 motor?!?!?!?

ok i am trying to make my prelude to go faster, but i dont want to do any engine mods.. firstly i dont have alot of money, it is a project and i am replacing parts as i go. right now basiclally everything is stock in the car, it is a SRV. i am thinking of light weighting the car, but i realized there is not much i can strip since i want to keep a little comfort too. i got a K&N intake installed right now, i am thinking of getting headers and downpipe. guys please give me some ideas!
Advertisement
Chan_Mr_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
starters are usually intake header exhaust.

better plugs, plug wires, change the regular maintenance items cuz if its an h22a1, then its at most 15 years old already for the engine.

u can then look into things like pulley kits, cam sprockets, A/F and vtec tuning devices.

then it goes on from there,

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

oh thanks! i already have ngk spark plugs and wires, and exhaust, dont have headers or downpipe tho. does the headers do a big difference? also i was going to get a vtec controller.. but i realized that if vtect kicks in earlier then my gasket would burn much faster... i still need the car to last.. and i have no idea whats pulley kits or cam sprockets are. thanks for the help!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i think a Cold air intake will do more than headers and exhaust individually.

If you don't have any idea what pulley/kits/cams/cam sprockets are try searching it up. you'll probably find a better write up than any of us can tell you.

I would say agree with SG do some maint first. then start modding, make the car reliable.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

the prelude has header, no downpipe. u have 2 choices, 4-1 header, or 4-2-1 header.

first thing i would do is change all the fluids.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

^ stock cars have headers+dp don't? i know some of the older ones do. to save money i think.

but yes. aftermarket you can only have Headers 4-1 and 4-2-1, whichever one you want depends on what type of power and where you want the power made on the rpm range.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

well its left to interpretation. when u buy header's for the prelude, it comes with the header and connecting pipe. some call this 2nd connecting pipe, the downpipe.

ive always associated the term downpipe with cars that have turbo. you have the turbo manifold, then turbo, then the downpipe. if there is a pipe that sits between the turbo manifold and the turbo, then i call that the up pipe.

now newer cars, that have the cat sitting far closer to the engine, they now call that upper part the header, then comes the cat converter, then the so called "downpipe"

if u look up the term for that pipe via the honda computer system, they call that pipe the "front pipe"

confusing? huh, multiple terms for the same pipes...

on my GS, there is the header, the cat converters, the "downpipe", the "y pipe", cat back, axle back, then the exhausts...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #8

When i hear DP i think of double penetration, but also it's where the turbo elbow connects to the cat or rest of the exhaust.
i wish i had y pipes....
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

back to topic, most cost effective header would be megan racing, its not the best, but for price, u cant beat. the next up would be DC, then greddy, then SMP or some brand like that.

exhaust wise, just about anything out there will do, just make sure its a decent catback, and not just the muffler. the change in piping size usually means u get a farty sound. if u get a catback exhaust, at least the piping is some what uniform.

intakes, just about everything out there from $40 to expensive $400. the thing is, ur throttle plate is still whats limiting the air flow. so if u want to spend a little more, get or have it done, port match ur tbody. donno if anyone in town does that anymore.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #10

wow i never thought the exhaust system can be soo confusing.. but thats alot of help guys. i actually changed all the fluids posssible already, except for break and abs and steering fluid. one thing i have trouble with the engine is that when i idle after driving, the rpm drops once in a while, then it goes back up, it seems like the engine is having a hard time for just one second. it doesnt happen often, but it scares me. it seems like my engine has a cold and that rpm drop is like a shiver. firstly i have no idea if mine is just a muffler or a catback too, i will try to find out. so i am lookng at changing the header and the catback right? i want to keep the cat, becasue is an old car i need to do aircare every 2 years. i dont think my car will pass at all...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #11

nice GS btw!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

catback refers to the piping of the exhaust system. cat back is exactly that, from the cat back. so the exhaust will still utilize ur stock cat converter.

the low rpm could be the fast idle valve needing to be serviced in the future. its a problem with the preludes. u have 2 possibilities, the valve that is on the intake manifold right after the throttle body. there will be a plug coming out of it that u can just unclipp and unplug. that may be faulty , but since ur car's idle is just low and isnt dying. i wouldnt worry about it yet.

other would be when ur idle starts surging, the car will sound like someone keeps tapping the gas so the idle surges from 800rpm or lower, up to 2000rpm, then drops and rises and continues doing that.

this is the fast idle valve located just under the throttle body. gets old gets dirty gets stuck, needs cleaning or replacing. its one of those common problems with the prelude.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #13

thanks man! do you know a place where i can get it checked out? a reliable mechanic that wont charge me overprice. i would do it myself, but i have no idea where these valve are and i might not have enough time to do it myself.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

if you don't have a bunch of money don;t mod your car.

remeber the rule.
Fast, Cheap, reliable. Pick 2 because all 3 aren't possible.

if you want to go faster, just get some lightweight stuffs for the car, hood, trunk, doors, seats. but that all costs serious bling dude. well serious to most people on here.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

ohh, my bad, used the word fast idle valve to describe 2 different things

one is called the fast idle valve

other is called iac intake air controller. but both are nutorious for causing idle issues with the prelude.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #16

i got sparco seat already.. i dont have 10 grand on me.. but like i said is a long term project car. i just want to know how much i should save up for it. i am saving up for a carbon fiber hood and maybe coilovers. i got coilover sleeves right now and they are really stiff.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

but really, if you want to go fast, you're going to have to build up your engine. headers and exhaust does free up a lot of restriction but at the same time, you'll gain power but you'll lose your torque from it. to have balance, you'll need a better engine.

I suggest you get Cams, ecu and maybe we can up your compression and put in a metal head gasket, THEN get a lightend flywheel and a better clutch and I think you'll be set

Last edited by Jun_Y; 01-19-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

it an old engine so i think it will be better to change the internals....
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #19

how much would that all cost??"I suggest you get Cams, ecu and maybe we can up your compression and put in a metal head gasket" cams as in cam gears or the whole cam shaft?.. i want it to go fast, but i dont want to worry about overheating and stuff..
Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^^thats cam itself and cam gears.....as for compression, you're gona use thinner gasket
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Seriously this thread makes my head hurt.

You have 1 header. Not headers. You have Brakes... not Breaks.

Your motor works on air and fuel. The more air and fuel you put in the better but only if you can get it out of the motor. There is a reason people upgrade the intake system and exhaust system. Most of the time all it does is create noise and the change in sound makes people think their car is faster. Getting rid of the CAT is probably the biggest thing you can do to improve airflow. However, even if you upgrade that stuff your computer won't know that you have upgraded it. ECU tuning is great and can do a lot more for a car than people think.

Before you start throwing your money around... go to prelude websites and see specifically what they are doing and what parts they are using and what results they got. The interweb is a fantastic thing if you type stuff in that google thingamajig.

Berz out.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Save your money. The basic "bolt ons" will get you nowhere. You will make more noise but go nowhere fast. You would spend 1-2k depending if you buy used, new etc.. and get an extra 10-15 hp if you are lucky (that's guessing without a tune) .

I would take a different route and work on your suspension. You said you wanted to go faster; a better suspension will accomplish that around a track.

And you have an inline 4, in regard to the header comment if you are confused. But seriously, do some research and save your money in regards to the basic bolt ons. Boost is a better option for bang for the buck. An N/A honda is cool but $$
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #23

icic.... i am thinking of coilovers.... i got coilover sleeves already.. i was just wondering should i just upgrade the struats or change the whole thing to coilovers? now i got another question about ECUs.. do i have to change the ECU or do i just tune the stock one? and where would i be able to do that??.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #24
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan_Mr_Chan View Post
ok i am trying to make my prelude to go faster, but i dont want to do any engine mods.. firstly i dont have alot of money, it is a project and i am replacing parts as i go. right now basiclally everything is stock in the car, it is a SRV. i am thinking of light weighting the car, but i realized there is not much i can strip since i want to keep a little comfort too. i got a K&N intake installed right now, i am thinking of getting headers and downpipe. guys please give me some ideas!

Add some stickers! They add 10hp each! Spoon stickers give 15! LOL

All jokes aside... intake, header, exhaust are engine mods. Good to see you're thinking of lightening the car; if you've got power-steering and/or air conditioning, get rid of them, it'll lighten your car by a fair amount. Carbon fiber body parts.

If you're not worried about passengers in the back (not like they have much room to begin with) get rid of the back seats.

Assuming your car is a 92-95 Prelude, you should be OBD1, they only thing you need to do is to get your ecu chipped and socketed, then you're set for tuning. Unless you're gonna do engine mods... really no point in tuning.
mattztoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #25

icic well i did take out the back.. but the fact that the seat is only 2 cushion... they dont weight alot.. i can save more weight by losing a few pounds... i am probably removing the air conditioner, but i dont know how much that's going to weight. if its not alot i kinda wanna keep it for the summer... i am going to save up some money and get the carbon fiber hood first. but b4 that i am getting a exedy clutch with lighten flywheel. in the meanwhile i am thinking of cleaning the air intake. i just clean the filter recently, but maybe the pipe too. i got a question too.. how about aftermarket manifold?? will they do any good to me?