REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   can't get my gsr to start (https://www.revscene.net/forums/561035-cant-get-my-gsr-start.html)

blkgsr 01-17-2009 10:49 PM

can't get my gsr to start

99 integra gsr

i've test the coil (swapped in a new one from lordco, didn't help) and i've tested pretty much everything else

i am getting fuel (atleast i can smell it) and i cam getting spark (possibly faint)

i've been charging up my battery but it dies rather quick, i will swap in my new one tomorrow

any ideas on what i can check??

i'm also going to check to make sure the timing belt is on...correctly? i won't quite sure but i'll see if there is something obvious

blacK20 01-18-2009 01:09 AM

What happen before it didn't start?

blkgsr 01-18-2009 07:01 AM

ok i'll try to give some cole's notes:

- saturday (last week) night driving along, loss power for an instant, shifted was fine after....got to a light, rpms dropped to like 200, very little throttle response wouldn't do anything....finally caught on and rev'd past 3000, was fine for the rest of the night

- next morning pull the car in to the garage to do some other work non related.....go to move it out and nothing, it cranks and cranks but doesn't catch

- charged the battery up and it started up and idle fine...move it out of the garage

- come back about 45 mins later and nothing doesn't start up at all....again cranks and cranks, might catch for a second but nothing really...i can hear the fuel pump prime and it turns over...so my guess is it's not getting spark...it TRIED catching once or twice but nothing to keep it running...i can hear it puff out once in a while too

- come back 4 hours later, pull the plugs, push the wires on the dist.....starts up and idles fine

- monday morning: went to out leave for work, get in the car and try to start it up...cranks, catches for a second then dies

i've tested the coil (could be faulty anyways) but like i said i tried a new one (seemed out of spec to begin with though)....does anyone have a working oem coil, pretty much any honda/acura of the like from 93+??

i've checked for spark and i am getting it at each cylinder, some more intense then others possibly (gf was watching the spark so i can't say exactly)...and i can smell the fuel, it was also on the plugs when i pulled them, spark not enough to light the fuel

i'm thinking i'm going to change plugs

blkgsr 01-18-2009 08:05 AM

swapped in the new battery, just makes it crank faster lol

also i can't check the timing belt because the stupid cover won't come off....i've got the two bolts out but it looks like it's really held in place with zero room to move my hands around...any tricks?

Leopold Stotch 01-18-2009 09:59 AM

I'd change your fuel filter, sounds like fuel related.

or even your fuel pump. sounds like what happened to me sort of.

blkgsr 01-18-2009 01:13 PM

i'm getting fuel....i can smell it

new plugs and wires did nothing...even though the old plugs were the wrong type and gapped wrong

i'm thinking icm now

!SG 01-18-2009 01:35 PM

you said ur getting spark?

unplug all plug wires, then plug a spare spark plug into one of the wires, one at a time, crank over motor, hold spark plug end to valve cover and see if u get an arc.

check and change distributor cap and rotor??

u said u tried changing the coil, bout what about the selenoid?

blkgsr 01-18-2009 01:58 PM

i've done the individual spark test...each lights up but faith (gf watched so i can't confirm)

i did now ever just pull the cap off again and looked at the rotor....the rotor looks worn and i'm not getting continuity at one the the cap plugs (inside to out)

so i'm gonna pick up a new cap and rotor and try those

blkgsr 01-18-2009 05:19 PM

well i feel pretty stupid

new cap and rotor: runs like a champ

Leopold Stotch 01-19-2009 08:23 PM

taht's awesome. lol cheap fix. i'd just never get it from the dealership,it's alwasy much more