REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

can't get my gsr to start

99 integra gsr

i've test the coil (swapped in a new one from lordco, didn't help) and i've tested pretty much everything else

i am getting fuel (atleast i can smell it) and i cam getting spark (possibly faint)

i've been charging up my battery but it dies rather quick, i will swap in my new one tomorrow

any ideas on what i can check??

i'm also going to check to make sure the timing belt is on...correctly? i won't quite sure but i'll see if there is something obvious
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What happen before it didn't start?
blacK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #3

ok i'll try to give some cole's notes:

- saturday (last week) night driving along, loss power for an instant, shifted was fine after....got to a light, rpms dropped to like 200, very little throttle response wouldn't do anything....finally caught on and rev'd past 3000, was fine for the rest of the night

- next morning pull the car in to the garage to do some other work non related.....go to move it out and nothing, it cranks and cranks but doesn't catch

- charged the battery up and it started up and idle fine...move it out of the garage

- come back about 45 mins later and nothing doesn't start up at all....again cranks and cranks, might catch for a second but nothing really...i can hear the fuel pump prime and it turns over...so my guess is it's not getting spark...it TRIED catching once or twice but nothing to keep it running...i can hear it puff out once in a while too

- come back 4 hours later, pull the plugs, push the wires on the dist.....starts up and idles fine

- monday morning: went to out leave for work, get in the car and try to start it up...cranks, catches for a second then dies

i've tested the coil (could be faulty anyways) but like i said i tried a new one (seemed out of spec to begin with though)....does anyone have a working oem coil, pretty much any honda/acura of the like from 93+??

i've checked for spark and i am getting it at each cylinder, some more intense then others possibly (gf was watching the spark so i can't say exactly)...and i can smell the fuel, it was also on the plugs when i pulled them, spark not enough to light the fuel

i'm thinking i'm going to change plugs
Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #4

swapped in the new battery, just makes it crank faster lol

also i can't check the timing belt because the stupid cover won't come off....i've got the two bolts out but it looks like it's really held in place with zero room to move my hands around...any tricks?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I'd change your fuel filter, sounds like fuel related.

or even your fuel pump. sounds like what happened to me sort of.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #6

i'm getting fuel....i can smell it

new plugs and wires did nothing...even though the old plugs were the wrong type and gapped wrong

i'm thinking icm now
Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you said ur getting spark?

unplug all plug wires, then plug a spare spark plug into one of the wires, one at a time, crank over motor, hold spark plug end to valve cover and see if u get an arc.

check and change distributor cap and rotor??

u said u tried changing the coil, bout what about the selenoid?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #8

i've done the individual spark test...each lights up but faith (gf watched so i can't confirm)

i did now ever just pull the cap off again and looked at the rotor....the rotor looks worn and i'm not getting continuity at one the the cap plugs (inside to out)

so i'm gonna pick up a new cap and rotor and try those
Old 01-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #9

well i feel pretty stupid

new cap and rotor: runs like a champ
Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

taht's awesome. lol cheap fix. i'd just never get it from the dealership,it's alwasy much more
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote