REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

2008 Charger SXT feedback

im currently looking at used charger sxt just because of how cheap they are, plus i like the look.

how are the reliability on these things ? how it rides?

serious discussion only, none of that "its dodge, it must suck"

thanks

edit: i would go for the sxt awd, just i havent been able to find one. i'd be willing to lose a bit of fuel economy, if the pricing wasnt that different, and would you guys think it'd be worth it ?

some feedback on the RT / RT AWD would be nice too, cause its within price range if i go back one or two years.

the SRT8 is kinda out of price range tho
Advertisement

Last edited by $_$; 01-18-2009 at 06:07 AM.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

I don't know about reliability, but the best way to find how it rides etc is to go and drive one. Everyone will have different opinions on how the same car rides. Go drive it, and find out for yourself and form your own opinion.

I was never aware that the Charger was ever available in AWD.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Having driven alot of the LX cars reliability isnt bad, I havent seen any big problems with them other than one guy driving it into a lake some how and fucked up the diff really bad, but you definately want the RT. The RT is better on gas, more power and looks a bit nicer. The SRT8 version is way more fun to drive, but it sucks so bad on gas. RT/300C I got between 12-14l/100km. SRT8 I got between 18 and 20. I did notice that when going through places like pan pacific, you do want to go in the SRT8 though, it turns more heads and pretty good for picking up at least 4 chicks.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra

Last edited by some_punk; 01-18-2009 at 07:20 AM.
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I've driven all of the LX sedans a few years back and they seem like decent cars. Pros are relatively soft ride, comfortable, spacious, decent handling for its size, good power (from the V8 models), and pretty solid chassis. Con's are the interior materials which could be better, visbility could be better, and a rate of depreciation which will be higher than average. I haven't heard too much about any major issues with them either.

I too would recommend the R/T - it comes with cylinder deactivation so the fuel economy isn't going to be extrememly bad. Combine that with a decent amount of hp and you've got a good cruising car.

I think with a decent set of snow tires they would be relatively capable in the winter - not sure if you really need to fork out the premium to get the AWD model.

I'm also sure you can negotiate hard on these cars too - the market is really slow and you can bet they're trying to get rid of inventory.

Last edited by Adrenaline Rush; 01-18-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykydtron View Post
I don't know about reliability, but the best way to find how it rides etc is to go and drive one. Everyone will have different opinions on how the same car rides. Go drive it, and find out for yourself and form your own opinion.

I was never aware that the Charger was ever available in AWD.
Good idea, but im just out of town right now so cant . Also, TBH i haven't driven a lot of differnet cars in my life, so these opinions would actually mean a lot to me! Definitely gonna go test drive when i get back tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_punk View Post
Having driven alot of the LX cars reliability isnt bad, I havent seen any big problems with them other than one guy driving it into a lake some how and fucked up the diff really bad, but you definately want the RT. The RT is better on gas, more power and looks a bit nicer. The SRT8 version is way more fun to drive, but it sucks so bad on gas. RT/300C I got between 12-14l/100km. SRT8 I got between 18 and 20. I did notice that when going through places like pan pacific, you do want to go in the SRT8 though, it turns more heads and pretty good for picking up at least 4 chicks.
IS the RT better on gas? Cause here : http://autos.yahoo.com/2008_dodge_charger/ its

SXT- 17/24
SXT AWD - 15/22
RT - 15/23
RT AWD - 15/22

And why did you get more on the SRT8 than the RT?
Haha, I woudn't get the SRT8 just because the engine is just too big at 6.1L and this is going to be my daily drive so dont wanna pan out on so much gas.
Looking at it now though, i'll probably really regret between the SXT and the RT just because its a v6 vs v8 and not THAT much difference in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Rush View Post
I've driven all of the LX sedans a few years back and they seem like decent cars. Pros are relatively soft ride, comfortable, spacious, decent handling for its size, good power (from the V8 models), and pretty solid chassis. Con's are the interior materials which could be better, visbility could be better, and a rate of depreciation which will be higher than average. I haven't heard too much about any major issues with them either.

I too would recommend the R/T - it comes with cylinder deactivation so the fuel economy isn't going to be extrememly bad. Combine that with a decent amount of hp and you've got a good cruising car.

I think with a decent set of snow tires they would be relatively capable in the winter - not sure if you really need to fork out the premium to get the AWD model.

I'm also sure you can negotiate hard on these cars too - the market is really slow and you can bet they're trying to get rid of inventory.

Does RT really come with the cylinder deactivation? Hm, wonder why that didn't reflect on the yahoo.autos. Time to do some more research! ;;;; Looked it up, and sure enough the v8's DO have cylinder deactivation. Gues gonna switch to the RT isntead

Any more ideas on if the AWD system would be worth it ?

Denifitely gonna negotiate hard on these cars. What kind of warranty do you guys think I can get on these, and will they be fully honored ?

BTW: Im looking around for manual chargers, but it seems to be very rare. Why is that? ;; I've looked aruond, and i THINK the charger actually doesn't come with manual transmission, just the auto-stick kind of thing. The reviews have been saying that the response is quiet good tho.

Last edited by $_$; 01-18-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.C View Post

IS the RT better on gas? Cause here : http://autos.yahoo.com/2008_dodge_charger/ its

SXT- 17/24
SXT AWD - 15/22
RT - 15/23
RT AWD - 15/22

When doing comparisons, you gotta pay attention to the units. He provided his measurements in L/100km, which is what we use in Canada. Here, the lower the number, the better. That URL you posted is in MPG, where the higher the number the better.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Yes, R/T's have MDS. The 2008+ LX's are great because they have extra HP's and the interior is upgraded with high quality material.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Can anyone confirm how well the cylinder deactivation works ?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
a 5.7L will not get you great city fuel econony no matter what anyone says

EPA ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt.

If this is your daily driver and you throw in a decent mix of hwy / city, you could probably get some decent fuel economy.

I say take a test drive of both the V6 and V8 and see whether you can deal with the hp / torque difference. I know 390 ft lbs of torque will throw a smile on your face any day of the week.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

buy it. american companies could use support
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.C View Post

Good idea, but im just out of town right now so cant . Also, TBH i haven't driven a lot of differnet cars in my life, so these opinions would actually mean a lot to me! Definitely gonna go test drive when i get back tho.

SXT- 17/24
SXT AWD - 15/22
RT - 15/23
RT AWD - 15/22

Haha, I woudn't get the SRT8 just because the engine is just too big at 6.1L and this is going to be my daily drive so dont wanna pan out on so much gas.
Looking at it now though, i'll probably really regret between the SXT and the RT just because its a v6 vs v8 and not THAT much difference in price.

Does RT really come with the cylinder deactivation? Hm, wonder why that didn't reflect on the yahoo.autos. Time to do some more research! ;;;; Looked it up, and sure enough the v8's DO have cylinder deactivation. Gues gonna switch to the RT isntead

Any more ideas on if the AWD system would be worth it ?

Denifitely gonna negotiate hard on these cars. What kind of warranty do you guys think I can get on these, and will they be fully honored ?

BTW: Im looking around for manual chargers, but it seems to be very rare. Why is that? ;; I've looked aruond, and i THINK the charger actually doesn't come with manual transmission, just the auto-stick kind of thing. The reviews have been saying that the response is quiet good tho.
I mean 18 and 20L/100km not MPG.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #12
RS Licensed Vendor

I have a friend that works as a mechanic for Chrysler/Dodge. I was originally looking into a 300C/Charger/Mangum Hemi. He told me not to buy it if it's out of warranty. He ran down a list of issues that frequently happened which scared me off cuz I was thinking of a used out of warranty one from the same dealership he worked at.

Might be different for the non-hemi model.

pretty good used car review site. Here's one for the Magnum. I know not the same, but they kind of are.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...5-07magnum.htm
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
RS Licensed Vendor

"Interestingly, despite the Dodge Charger and Magnum being virtually the same car (with different bodies, obviously), the Magnum gets a "far worse than average" used car rating, while the Charger gets an average to above-average rating. "

Maybe not so bad after all.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Hey guys, just thought i'd give some feedback since i went to test drive both the SXT and the RT yesterday.

So heres what happened:
I went to the dodge chrysler on minoru yesterday, walked in and tried to talk to a salesman. Asked him if they had any SXT and RTs on the lot, and he pointed to one that was out front. I asked him if i could test drive it, he asked me if i was ready to buy one. I was like hell ya. Overall tho, i had SHITASS experience at the minoru dodge chrysler, even though the salesman (insert name later) was actually pretty nice. Now, i only have one BIG problem throughout my ordeal there. Mr.(NAME) was trying to showing me an 2007 almost new SXT for 32,700$. Now, i did my research before leaving the house, and i KNOW thats way too fucking overpriced. I told him straight up, hey you guys got a pricing issue, theres no way im going to spend 32k on this car when i know perfectly well that other places are selling for under 20k for around same km/condition. Now all is well and fine, but he had to go and LIE about it. He went and "checked his computer" for options for me (asked me a bunch of info and what i wanted) and came back with a bunch of listings over 20k, or cars with well over 50k km's. Again, i just felt pissed off because i know exactly what ive been researching in the past couple days and that car just isnt worth that much. I proceeded to tell him that all this is irrevelant because i havent driven the car, how do i know if i want to buy it or not? He proceeded to tell me that the car was over my price range and that theres no point in test driving this car. I was pretty angry at this point, but i wanted to keep my cool. i told him straight up that i'd give him cash, however much he wanted , for collateral to test drive that car. He knew at this point that i was serious, and quickly went to grab the keys for me. So sat into the SXT (dark grey/blueish?) and tested it out.

Inside, it was spacious, but like originally stated, the interior isnt top notch. Seemed pretty boring TBO, and the front view is hard to see. The ride is soft, and the breaks have to be stepped on pretty hard before you get the response that you see. The power overall for the SXT is OK, as i will go on to talk abt the RT in a sec. So did a block with the salesperson, (my gf was in the back btw, and she had PLENTY leg room). Still, the salesperson tried to push the car to me, and hey, i DID like that car, but common, 32k for a 2007 charger?

Came back and parked the car, told the salesman nicely that i would consider it, and left. I've got a buddy working at another chrysler dodge, and asked him to hook me up with a nice salesman there.

Got there, and a guy with a heavy accent by the name Shawn greeted me. Totally different attitude than the guy at minoru, and me and my gf was pleased. He asked me which charger i would like to test drive, and i told him i already tried the SXT so i would like to try the RT now. The RT that i test drove was a dark grey color, very sexy @ 50k kms. The difference in engine is noticed the MOMENT i turned on the engine, as the roar of the hemi really does make a difference. I turned it off and on again just to hear the engine come to life. Shawn told the GF to sit in the front as he sat in the back, which both of us thought was really respectful. Drove it out of the lot, floored it on an open stretch, and dayum, Volvo-brickster was right, that 390 lbs/torque really does put a smile on your face. The ride quality was pretty identical to the SXT, but the engine seems to respond a bit faster on the RT. I also felt that the steering on the RT was softer, but that mightve just been my imagination from driving BMW all day with THEIR hard steering.

Overall, i think for this car you really just get the bang for the buck.