REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Where to get windshield installed... without getting raped?

I've recently relocated from Alberta to North Van... I need to do a windshield in the 1997 240sx I just had shipped here...

I have probably had 20 or so windshields done in Alberta and I've never had to spend more than 350$... well I called around and got some quotes today and FACK ME.... I can't believe how expensive windshields are in BC!!!!! I heard ICBC is to blame... and it sounds logical... makes sense why my insurance 3x when I moved here... it's paying for everyone's cracked windshields!!!! AGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The highest I was qouted was 648.00$ and the lowest was 518.00$.... that's brutal..

I was hoping someone on here has a hook up? Cash deal? Anything?? And if all else fails hopefully there are some of you out there who have had to deal with the BC windshield gouging like i have.... hearing your story might make me feel better hahahaha.

Jason
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
This doesn't help you but I have a couple rock chips in my window. The amount it would cost me to get them repaired is just under my deductable for a new windshield. So basically I'm better off leaving it until it cracks and then getting a new windshield as opposed to having the two little chips repaired.

I agree with you the way ICBC works is fricking retarded. I think they used to fix rock chips for free to avoid having to replace them but I was told that they don't any longer?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just pay your deductible and have it fixed?
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20a View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just pay your deductible and have it fixed?
Knowing ICBC there's probably a catch...

I would imagine you can just pay the deductible and have it replaced... just don't forget to bring ICBC a dozen Do-Do bird eggs and a mermaid's tail.

&@%#^% ICBC....
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Do you need to fix your windshield for an inspection before insuring it? I bought a car needing a VI for broken windshield. The previous owner never fixed it, car can't be insured because it needed vi, so I had to find a way to do it in my driveway.

I bought a windshield from a wrecker for roughly $125, and got it installed for $75 by a mobile windshield guy. ICBC deductible is $200 so I think I came out ok.

If you already insure it through icbc, it's $200 and icbc will take care of the rest. No real "catch" or ways to screw you.
YK86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #6

Car is insured and registered in Alberta and will remain that way... to avoid certain air care complications it will face in the near future Nevermind my insurance is 1/3 the price.

Just want to do the windshield cause it's cracked, I'm not a big fan of chipped and cracked glass...

I also have a vehicle insured with ICBC as well... at least I know I can get the windshield done in that one cheap hahaha...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
I don't get it

Just go through ICBC. They're really much better than people give them credit for. You know, the grass is always greener on the other side.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
Just go through ICBC. They're really much better than people give them credit for. You know, the grass is always greener on the other side.
Ummmmm no it's not because I can't go through ICBC as it would need OOP before it can be insured by ICBC.

On top of that if I were to go though ICBC my 75$/month I'm paying now would jump to about 250$/month... in about 3 months I would have paid for the windshield with the money I saved... assuming there is no deductible.. if there is a 200$ deductible... well do the math, the grass is not green it's grey,brown, and dead.

I living in BC... but I hate ICBC and the NDP.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

200 dudctible from icbc to replace my old windshile,no hassle, and its nice and new
replaced 1 year and half ago at Kirmac
they do a good job for repair, had my bumper fixed there as well.
silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
racing & tech mod.

If you can't do a $200 ICBC deductable, why not drive across the border to the USA and get it done there? They might have a lesser markup on windshields than BC does.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Next we will hear you get into an accident and your insurance gets voided by your Albertan insurer. There is a time limit on how long you can keep a car plated in a certain province without getting into insurance complications.

This thread is just not going to end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Car is insured and registered in Alberta and will remain that way... to avoid certain air care complications it will face in the near future Nevermind my insurance is 1/3 the price.

Just want to do the windshield cause it's cracked, I'm not a big fan of chipped and cracked glass...

I also have a vehicle insured with ICBC as well... at least I know I can get the windshield done in that one cheap hahaha...
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Next we will hear you get into an accident and your insurance gets voided by your Albertan insurer. There is a time limit on how long you can keep a car plated in a certain province without getting into insurance complications.

This thread is just not going to end well.
Thanks for your valuable input. Nothing you wrote has anything to do with me getting my windshield replaced... SO FACK AFF.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
But he's right.

If you're such a fan of your alberta insurance company, why not go back to alberta and get it done there? Or get it done here and send a bill to your alberta insurer.

Wait let me guess? You don't want to involve the Alberta people because you don't want them to know you're living in BC?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #14

Ughhhh people in Alberta do not bother putting glass coverage on their vehicles because a 200-250$ deductible usually covers the price of a windshield in Alberta. So why would people want to accumulate claims on their insurance history seeing as the price of paying for it yourself out of pocket is the same as paying your deductible?

I can't help the fact that I prefer paying my Alberta insurance rates which are 1/3 that of my BC rate, I also get out of having a front plate or the worries of air care... it might also be difficult to pass OOP given some modifications done to the vehicle...

I should also mention that I made sure with my insurance company that if anything were to happen in BC I would be covered, obviously they do not know the car spends more time there than it does in Alberta and there is no way for them too know.

It's nice to know there is so many morally responsible citizens on these boards. Point is, I know and understand the laws and I do not need someone pointing them out to me in a thread where I am asking for assistance to find a place to install a windshield... or to find out I'm stuck paying double in BC what it costs in Alberta.

I'm sorry but after dealing with ICBC once I have to say... I did receive very good service and can not complain about the people I dealt with, but some of their policies boggle the mind... how is it that if you're involved in an accident you have 90 days to file your claim? That could leave someone without a vehicle for 90 days because they opted to pay only basic rates and not carry collision (Collision=rental car), even though the accident might be 100% the fault of the other driver.

Regardless I shouldn't even have to explain any of this... Can we keep this thread on topic? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Should I even think about going back to the dealership?

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
Should I even think about going back to the dealership?
I think you should go back to the "mothership" ...what are you even talking about?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

broco did mine and included the interior steam clean and new wipers
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

sorry to dig up the old thread.

I got one yesterday cracked rapidly on my Pilot. Got quote for $300 installed, but the deductible is $200. hmmm.... anyone know how much is the insurance for the road hazard like this from ICBC?

Is there any chance to get the OEM Honda windshield or everyone uses aftermaket? Just curious.
ecsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #19

They will force you to get aftermarket windshield if you claim it with ICBC.
I replaced mind 3 months ago on Acura TSX.
I talked to the bodyshop if they can order OEM Honda parts. They said no.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #20

^ k thanks.
The last time I change my CRV was like 5~6 years ago. It used to be $100 deductible....
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

There are several guys in vans, who will come to you... who can get used glass from wrecking yards and install it at your house, or work, or whatever...

I used a guy out of the Yellow Pages years ago, it was $200 cash and he did it in an hour while I was at work. Looked brand new, but it was used glass.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
There are several guys in vans, who will come to you... who can get used glass from wrecking yards and install it at your house, or work, or whatever...

I used a guy out of the Yellow Pages years ago, it was $200 cash and he did it in an hour while I was at work. Looked brand new, but it was used glass.
do you have his number? any problem after installed?

my first windshield replacement end up with leaking in rain. Thought they fixed it within a week.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

No problems.. but it was 10+ years ago now, I have no idea of the number now.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

lol sorry the title is funny.
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote