REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Contacting an officer

hey guys,

I recently received two counts of "failure to obey stop sign" Section (186)MVA and one count of "drive without due care and attention" Section 144(1)(a) MVA.

I have disputed this ticket as I feel as though the officer wrongfully accused me of such actions and his story in which he stated upon confronting me did not prove plausible. I listened to his side and then asked questions regarding things like his where abouts at the time of the violation and other questions so I could gain a better understanding of his side. (I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong in thinking his story was not plausible). Anyways, He refused to answer my questions and insulted me instead, although thats not on subject.

I'm wondering how I would go about contacting the officer who gave me this violation in order to obtain the answers he refused to answer, so i can provide a viable defense when the court date occurs? I have the enforcement officer # stated on the ticket and his signature. I would prefer to send the officer a letter and receive a letter back, just so I can have everything in writing.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Advertisement
caliber676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Go to the detachment with a letter addressed to the police officer (or just the #, if thats all you have, as it can be looked up at the front counter). Make sure you include the ticket number so that it can be looked up.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Search this forum on "disclosure". It's your right to obtain all the evidence against you before you go to court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Best way to contact a officer is wait in the back alley until he's off work and then when he's leaving walk up to him and start a conversation.

^ Sarcasm... talk to the police station around you and request they pass on a letter to him. If he's a traffic cop I doubt he has time to sit down with you.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #5

He is part of the Burnaby RCMP. Where would the detachment for that be? Sorry, I have never dealt with these matters before.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Google provided this with the first hit:
http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/__shar...erview4898.pdf

Following are the municipal addresses and contact numbers for the Main Detachment and each District
Community Police Office:

BURNABY DETACHMENT
6355 Deer Lake Avenue
604-294-7922

DISTRICT 1 CPO
HASTINGS-BRENTWOOD AREA
104 – 4191 Hastings Street
604-656-3250

DISTRICT 2 CPO
LOUGHEED - BURNABY MOUNTAIN
178 – 9855 Austin Avenue
604-656-3200

DISTRICT 3 CPO
SOUTHEAST DISTRICT, EDMONDS/KINGSWAY
7191 Arcola Way
604-656-3275

DISTRICT 4 CPO
SOUTHWEST DISTRICT, METROTOWN
4501 Kingsborough Street
604-656-3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

Sounds interesting. Does the due care include the stop signs or are they separate from something else that the officer thinks you did?

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I have never written a "ballpark" like that. A lot more "rest of the story" than meets the eye.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I would like to say as from my experience, I have tried contacting an officer to eagarly gather some evidence to save my license from being suspended.

I called the detachment and inputed his badge # which directed me to his personal voicemail. I thought it was more effective than sending a letter. I told him that I needed to talk to him urgently about an incident and to call me back.

Never hearing from the officer after a week, I took another attempt to leave a voicemail, this time; stating that he could acquire a compensation in return. (Yes I know) Soon enough, I woke up to his banging on my door the next day, angrily warning me about my unlawful voicemail. He made an excuse to not provide me evidence I needed and suspended my license on the spot as well.

As I see, the officer will hear you, but you'll probably need to really convince him in order to have contact with you. Intimidate him on his wrongfulness, if necessary.
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
I would like to say as from my experience, I have tried contacting an officer to eagarly gather some evidence to save my license from being suspended.

I called the detachment and inputed his badge # which directed me to his personal voicemail. I thought it was more effective than sending a letter. I told him that I needed to talk to him urgently about an incident and to call me back.

Never hearing from the officer after a week, I took another attempt to leave a voicemail, this time; stating that he could acquire a compensation in return. (Yes I know) Soon enough, I woke up to his banging on my door the next day, angrily warning me about my unlawful voicemail. He made an excuse to not provide me evidence I needed and suspended my license on the spot as well.

As I see, the officer will hear you, but you'll probably need to really convince him in order to have contact with you. Intimidate him on his wrongfulness, if necessary.
hmmm from everyone that i know, a letter to the officer was sufficient.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Quote:

You could have been charged criminally for that. The easiest way is a voice mail or a letter. Keep in mind we work 4 on 4 off and if we are taking holidays it might be 12-15 days before you get a reply, but we will reply.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
I took another attempt to leave a voicemail, this time; stating that he could acquire a compensation in return. (Yes I know)

Sorry man but this has got to be one of the most retarded things I've heard in a looooonnnnngggg time. Right up there with offering a cop a bribe not to give you a ticket but doing it in front of a witness.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

From my experience, the officer will reply to you. For the Richmond detachment, I asked the receptionist and she told me the officer was on his days off and will be back in 4 days. I left the message and sure enough, 4 days later, he called me back.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If it had been my voicemail he left the bribery message on...from that point on, all contact would have only been in writing. If you showed up at the Det. I would record any contact and refuse to see you without a witness while I told you this. In writing, you can request disclosure if you wish, and you need to be specific. Do not believe what you read on internet websites as they offer lots of incorrect advice. I loved hearing a disputant reel off a series of questions from some US website, having no idea what they wanted and having no relevance to BC Traffic Law. Free advice is worth what you pay for it...like verbal contracts, they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Allow reasonable time for a response and keep in mind that the Member has other things in his day and his life too. Trying to "argue the case" at roadside is a waste of your time, and theirs'. In 28 years of ticket writing, I never changed my mind once because of a roadside discussion. The correct place for an impartial decision is in Traffic Court. The JP hs no vested interest either way and will decide, based on the evidence presented to the court.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Sounds interesting. Does the due care include the stop signs or are they separate from something else that the officer thinks you did?
That is one of the questions I will be asking. The officer never stated as to why he gave me the violation of undue care and attention. I don't know if its in relation to the other alleged violations for not stopping or something entirely different. From my reasoning, he attributed my questions to his where-abouts and side of the story to the fact that i was "stupid", as he questioned me on my intelligence and eye-sight in response to these questions. I figure he thought I truly was asking the questions because I did not know, yet instead i was just clarifying his side of the incident because he was all over the place with his argument.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Just an odd question that somewhat relates...

If you stop before a stop sign, how close would you need to be to be considered "stopped" at that particular sign? This is to say, if you are behind someone at a stop sign and you both stop, do you need to stop again? You already technically stopped so if you slowed down again but didn't stop, would you be disobeying the sign? You stopped before the line but how close do you need to be?

Now same scenario but no car infront of you. You just stopped say... half a cars length away from the stop line and then proceed through, would that be considered stopping or would you get ticketed?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote