REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Asking Permission...

For Marriage.. This is for those guys who are already married or engaged, did you ask her father for permission to marry? How did it go? Did you just go over and ask or did you plan it out and do it in a smooth way? I'm at that point and am feeling kind of nervous about it lol. Trying to figure out the best way to go about it without needing to run out the door being chased by a shotgun after

Berz out.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Awwww RS marriage with Care.

Berz out.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

never did it but i would. or at least hope her parents were dead by then.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #4

Just back your car into the driveway and leave the engine running and door open, just for incase

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Last edited by Care; 09-08-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Elope. Vegas wedding.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
It's all about honesty bro. No point in sugarcoating it by treating them to a fancy dinner or anything like that. If you really love her then it should show and her parents should have recognized that a long time ago.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

My mom's parents basically took my dad to a jewelry store and told him to pick a ring on Christmas Eve.

It's all about how you suck up to the parents from day 1.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

gf's parents love me, when I decide to pop the question, I'll ask them out of respect but I don't think its necessary
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
Ricer Mod

^^^ That's the same with me... However it is an awkward situation is it not? The other thing I have to approach with her father is the ring situation. He is a mining lawyer and has a very good friend who gets great deals on large stones. So its been suggested to me that I ask her father about this when I ask permission (by Care's Brother in Law) I'm already getting stressed out!.

Do you think the tradition of asking permission to marry will last more than another generation? Is it a timeless tradition?

Berz out.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Remember, it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Ricer Mod

^^ This is true!

Berz out.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
^^^ That's the same with me... However it is an awkward situation is it not? The other thing I have to approach with her father is the ring situation. He is a mining lawyer and has a very good friend who gets great deals on large stones. So its been suggested to me that I ask her father about this when I ask permission (by Care's Brother in Law) I'm already getting stressed out!.

Do you think the tradition of asking permission to marry will last more than another generation? Is it a timeless tradition?

Berz out.
i think its different for every culture and person. I know some people dont really give a shit about that some that feel that its mandatory. Your situation is a toughy though. Good luck with that one
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I didn't ask for permission but I did give the heads up to her mom.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Just ask, quit being such a wuss =p If you love her, tell him and tell him you'd like his blessing and approval to marry her... sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Oh and remember to thank her parents during your speech on your wedding day.
poweredbyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #17

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Oops, I didn't ask for permission...

And you should have posted anonymously, cuz now Care knows you're gonna propose!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I did this recently !! totally know what you are going through..

I guess it really depends...

is it out of mutual respect or are you seeking for approval? I think that is the probably the biggest thing you need to figure out for yourself.

What if they say no.. are you still going to do it ?? have you bought the ring already?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I think she already knew lol. But if not, way to ruin the surprise Berz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #20

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
If your worried about it and want to soften the blow get your girlfriend to leak it to her mom. I think he's going to propose I found a ring. Then a couple days later you tell them acting like it's a secret except all the drama will already be removed because the seed was already planted.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
If your worried about it and want to soften the blow get your girlfriend to leak it to her mom. I think he's going to propose I found a ring. Then a couple days later you tell them acting like it's a secret except all the drama will already be removed because the seed was already planted.
I have a different idea when it comes to planting seeds.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

As a daddy's little girl I know that whatever man I've choosen to make me very happy, will be approved of (unless he's a complete douche... but I like to think I pick them better than that).

I know my daddy would bless his heart if he asked. So that shouldn't be the worry. I would be concerned if he didn't ask permission. In fact I'd hate to call it permission, it's more like asking for a blessing.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Ricer Mod

Yea that's a good point in several posts.. is it really asking permission or more like giving a heads up and manning up and bonding with the soon to be father in law. As for Care, she knows it's coming but not when or where

Another interesting point in a post was "What if he says no?" I had never thought of that haha. Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the balls. I like that idea about telling the mom first... however I think her mom would keep it a secret until I asked just to be mean to me

Her family loves me so I'm sure it's not going to be an issue but that still doesn't make it less nerve racking.

Berz out.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsup View Post
have you bought the ring already?

No as I mentioned in a previous post her father is a mining lawyer and has a very good friend who deals in precious stones, so I am waiting to ask her father as he will then take me to meet his friend and I will get the stone/stones from him. This is what her father did for her brother in law and her brother so I am hoping he will do the same for me I can't be the one who bought his wife the smallest diamond.. I would never hear the end of it haha

Berz out.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I've heard some stories and this is how it goes:

John calls and asks if he can take Jane's parents out to dinner and have a talk. He says it will just be the 3 of us Jane isn't coming. The gf typically isn't notified and the parents are asked not to say anything to her either. Hopefully at this point they know... So they go for dinner John starts to talk. He says what a wonderful girl Jane is blah blah blah, how much he loves her, how he would love to take care of her for the rest of his life blah blah blah. "May I have Jane's hand in marriage?" (or some shit like that.) Mom balls, dad says fuck you no! Just kidding, Dad says congrats, and then you toast!

Aww precious.