REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Do I dare ask.. 350z vs S2000

Snow's almost all gone (hope I didn't jynx it) and it's time to start comparing to get one of the two.
The age old question: 350z vs S2000
Thoughts?
Advertisement
08 elise
x_macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
I don't get it

Just go drive them back to back. They are different enough to not be cross-shopped.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
Just go drive them back to back. They are different enough to not be cross-shopped.
type-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Banned (BBM)

350z torquey to drive from day to day basis.

u can shift at 2000rpm

s2k is basically as fast as a DC5 if not slower

gotta take it up to redline, lighter chasis, corner machine enough said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ItNBEdm_I

1/4 mile slightly faster by 0.3 seconds
its like 320hp vs 240hp, and only wins by a tiny gap.
the ealier gen will run even if not slower
and thats with the newest 350z, which has roughly 300hp+
much faster than the first gen 03-04 ones
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

u can shift at 2000rpm

s2k slower than a rsx? you must be joking right?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Why was the stupid roof open on the s2k?

and yea i wouldn't say the s2k is equal or slower than a stock rsx.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
a 03-04 350Z and a regular S2000 would be a good race.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

I went from DC5 to 350z...and no my rsx type S with I/RH/E was not even as fast as my buddy's 2000 S2000 w/ an K&N Intake.

There are many reasons why I chose the 2008 350z over the latest S2000, starting with the better interior of the two easily going to the 350z...since it has more creature friendly toys and interior space over the S2000. My Z has Bluetooth, steering wheels Audio controls, heated seats..etc. which the S2000 cannot offer.

As for driving performance, it all depends on what you'll be using your vehicle for. The Z is my Daily Driver and it has plenty of power to make driving around seem effortless, which is nice when you're feeling lazy. The Z will easily walk the s2000 on the highway, but its a close call when it comes to the cornering aspect, with my vote going to the S2000, just because of the pure racing feeling that comes along with it. I find when you put the two cars through the turns, you definitely get more feedback from the s2000, yet the Z isn't slower through the corners.

IMO both of these cars will get through corners at around the same speed, but drive the two and youll realise that getting though the corner in each car requires totally different driving styles. Both inspire confidence, but you really have to drive both in order to choose the right one for you.

In the end, I liked how the s2000 is a pure racing machine but that wasn't enough to make it my daily, since it lacks tq for the daily get around after you've driven a Z. Also if they corner around the same speed and yet the Z will blow it out of the water on the straight, i figured, why not get the Z. They both look great so i couldn't factor that in, because i like them both.

Also, I drift the Z a lot and I would be sweating bullets worrying about the S2000's diff if i had it, plus when it comes to modifiying the two, the you can net much more power from the Z's 3.5L VQ.

Can't go wrong with either tho, but this is just my two cents on this debate, hope anything i said helps.
TSR-DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

how about fuel econ difference? 4cyl vs V6..
Old 01-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR-DC5 View Post
I went from DC5 to 350z...and no my rsx type S with I/RH/E was not even as fast as my buddy's 2000 S2000 w/ an K&N Intake.

There are many reasons why I chose the 2008 350z over the latest S2000, starting with the better interior of the two easily going to the 350z...since it has more creature friendly toys and interior space over the S2000. My Z has Bluetooth, steering wheels Audio controls, heated seats..etc. which the S2000 cannot offer.

As for driving performance, it all depends on what you'll be using your vehicle for. The Z is my Daily Driver and it has plenty of power to make driving around seem effortless, which is nice when you're feeling lazy. The Z will easily walk the s2000 on the highway, but its a close call when it comes to the cornering aspect, with my vote going to the S2000, just because of the pure racing feeling that comes along with it. I find when you put the two cars through the turns, you definitely get more feedback from the s2000, yet the Z isn't slower through the corners.

IMO both of these cars will get through corners at around the same speed, but drive the two and youll realise that getting though the corner in each car requires totally different driving styles. Both inspire confidence, but you really have to drive both in order to choose the right one for you.

In the end, I liked how the s2000 is a pure racing machine but that wasn't enough to make it my daily, since it lacks tq for the daily get around after you've driven a Z. Also if they corner around the same speed and yet the Z will blow it out of the water on the straight, i figured, why not get the Z. They both look great so i couldn't factor that in, because i like them both.

Also, I drift the Z a lot and I would be sweating bullets worrying about the S2000's diff if i had it, plus when it comes to modifiying the two, the you can net much more power from the Z's 3.5L VQ.

Can't go wrong with either tho, but this is just my two cents on this debate, hope anything i said helps.
listen to this guy. Not to be a douche, but rsx same, or if not faster than a s2k? wtf?
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

s2000 does have 'steering wheel' audio controls
JDMCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Banned (BBM)

LOL wtf

DC5 is basically about the same as s2k
friend went from DC5 to s2k and he said he didnt really feel it was faster or not much faster either way

a I/H/E simple bolt on without Hondata DC5 will walk a s2k any time of the day on higher gears. S2k with basic mods vs Dc5 with basic mods are fairly equal

u guys really think s2k dynos tat much on the wheel? 240h on fly and 190 on the wheel

02-04 Dc5 dynos 175whp, 05-06 dynos 180-185whp with Type R 4.7 final gear stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsCou5BY40
both similar shit, dc5 comes back for the win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltax...eature=related

same shit all N/A
hmmm geee if s2k was tat much faster i dont see it walking DC5 all day long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLEAE...eature=related

stock DC5, wowww i dont see s2k modded or not walk Dc5 at all. one car length dc5 misses 5th. and thats a 02-04 one which means its slower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MzVG...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlb6...eature=related
its basically a driver's race between the 2, give or take. some wins some loses

The s2k may feels faster because its on the old system, 5500rpm VTEC where u feel more of a lean back vs IVTEC. but in reality? its basically same shit

K20 with I/H/E Kpro > F series I/H/E flash

Last edited by Mugen EvOlutioN; 01-21-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^those vids up there are great, but I rather see them start from a stop. rsx-s is like 210hp? s2k is like 240hp? that 30hp ain't going to make a huge diff when they are moving lol.

Basically, it's what you want. Convertible or luxury? Are you going to track? Is it a daily driver or a weekend car?

I think the g35/350z are crap especially for the numbers they produce (stock).

Stop comparing s2k's in straight line speed, were they designed for that?
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

I wanna know what's the camera car in video #3
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

It's not a tiny gap... it's more like 3 car-length... and techinally, my lumpy car can beat the S2000-S at 400m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

u can shift at 2000rpm

cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post
^those vids up there are great, but I rather see them start from a stop. rsx-s is like 210hp? s2k is like 240hp? that 30hp ain't going to make a huge diff when they are moving lol.

Basically, it's what you want. Convertible or luxury? Are you going to track? Is it a daily driver or a weekend car?

Why wouldn't you compare all the aspects of a car? Straightline speed is just one of the many things to compare? Z aren't built for straightline speed either so no point in defending the s2000 in a comparison of two cars built for corners.

If the OP wanted a car could go fast in nothing but straight the OP would be debating about picking up a Mustang or a used Corvette.

My 2008 VQ35HR should be putting out around 260-270whp stock. Justify why that is crappy, when a E46 M3 puts out around the same? Would you call that car crappy too?

As for the video that was posted above, with the Nismo 350z vs. S2000 Type S drag racing. This video is just a horrid representation of what both of these cars at the quartermile. The VQ35HR Z's have hit low 13's many times, and consistently, including a few 13.1's, bone stock down to the tire. And as for the s2000, people have been hitting 13.7's and 13.8's consistently.

Last edited by TSR-DC5; 01-21-2009 at 01:21 PM.
TSR-DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post

A stock G35 makes about 240whp and 350z makes about 250whp due to carbon drive shaft.
Both cars an do 0~60 in about 5.5 sec.
Not exactly crap compare to other cars in the same class.
The only car that will beats it performance is the 335ci.
BMW brought up the 335ci because the 330ci lost in performance.
abcmzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
if straight line power is such a huge factor to you that you're posting multiple youtube videos, and ranting on and on about what'll win in a straight line - an RSX or an S2000, then you have absolutely no clue what the car is about, and it'll be a waste on you.

an s2000 is all about the experience. it's about the furthest you can get from an A to B car. it makes no sense no matter how you try to justify it, it exists solely to be driven. if this makes any sense to you, then get your hands on one and drive one to see if it's for you. chances are, it won't be, because it isn't for a lot of people.

having sat in Mike's (orgasm_donor) Z, turning the key in the ignition hearing that distinctive rumble and watching the needles sweep into life amidst an expansive interior layout, it felt a lot more substantial as a car. i've never driven one but if it's like any of the other torquey 300hp cars i've driven, it would give a feeling of thrust like an s2000 never could.

the Z's a lot better as an all-round car, and is "more car". but for some people, there honestly is no replacement for an s2000, and I say this having driven quite a variety of cars that are supposed to be raw and uncompromising. after driving an s2000 after a while, you get into situations like where you're behind the wheel of an S4 and you can't shake the feeling that it's such a sloppy, clumsy car - and it's obviously not, but the fact that it can feel that way says something.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #19
RabidMod

btw for a car that'll force crazed laughter from you no matter how hard you try to keep it down, for a car that'll make you feel like you're being hurled off a building, punched in the gut, and kicked in the head, there is nothing quite like a Trans Am. guaranteed this thing will destroy anything any of you guys will mention in this thread, and then everything else you haven't mentioned with mild mods. driving this beast was an experience of a lifetime; i highly recommend it.

the right tool for the right job. it comes down to what you're looking for.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
btw for a car that'll force crazed laughter from you no matter how hard you try to keep it down, for a car that'll make you feel like you're being hurled off a building, punched in the gut, and kicked in the head, there is nothing quite like a Trans Am. guaranteed this thing will destroy anything any of you guys will mention in this thread, and then everything else you haven't mentioned with mild mods. driving this beast was an experience of a lifetime; i highly recommend it.

the right tool for the right job. it comes down to what you're looking for.
I can name something that'll top that
kc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1337 View Post
I can name something that'll top that
haha yeah actually there's quite a number of cars that'll top that, but i assumed price was at least somewhat of a loose constraint given that the OP wasn't comparing, say, an F430 to an LP-640, or a 911 to a ZR1
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
if straight line power is such a huge factor to you that you're posting multiple youtube videos, and ranting on and on about what'll win in a straight line - an RSX or an S2000, then you have absolutely no clue what the car is about, and it'll be a waste on you.

an s2000 is all about the experience. it's about the furthest you can get from an A to B car. it makes no sense no matter how you try to justify it, it exists solely to be driven. if this makes any sense to you, then get your hands on one and drive one to see if it's for you. chances are, it won't be, because it isn't for a lot of people.

having sat in Mike's (orgasm_donor) Z, turning the key in the ignition hearing that distinctive rumble and watching the needles sweep into life amidst an expansive interior layout, it felt a lot more substantial as a car. i've never driven one but if it's like any of the other torquey 300hp cars i've driven, it would give a feeling of thrust like an s2000 never could.

the Z's a lot better as an all-round car, and is "more car". but for some people, there honestly is no replacement for an s2000, and I say this having driven quite a variety of cars that are supposed to be raw and uncompromising. after driving an s2000 after a while, you get into situations like where you're behind the wheel of an S4 and you can't shake the feeling that it's such a sloppy, clumsy car - and it's obviously not, but the fact that it can feel that way says something.
man i was never really fond of 350z's and Z cars in general. but when i got a ride in his Z. HOLY CRAP!. that was an AWESOME Car. his car is a bit special though.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #23

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
350Z or S2000 (personally it'd be G35 for me but that's just me)
Like it's been compared above, the S2000 is more for the experience whereas the 350Z seems to be more for comfort and creature comforts, while going fast at the same time. Best thing to do, instead of reading about people's opinions, go see if you can get a nice long and good test drive with both cars, then decide

Last edited by GabAlmighty; 01-21-2009 at 08:13 PM.
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

dc-5 with i/h/e will NOT walk a s2000.. it will keep up with it with the edge on the s2k.. s2ks trap stock 100-102mph i believe.. i/h/e dc5 is 99-100mph
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

interesting debate which has been beaten to death. It really depends on what you like. Having driven both the cars in normal street conditions and having been driven in them in race conditions (no straight line bs, but i mean good solid turns and all) i have to say both are awesome. Personally, i like the low end power of the Z for the street and the comfort from the ride quality along with the above mensioned interior quaility. There is something to be said for the S2K and its "race-like" characteristics. To get the most out of both cars like TSR-DC5 said, you have to drive them BOTH and find which one feels better for you.

FOR ME its 350z, more comfort, better styling IMO and more low end torque to go along with the nav package + bose system + more trunk space. But in the end its up to you to go try them out

let us know how your findings are.

PS TSR-DC5 has had a rsx-s and his friends drive s2k's and now he has a 350z i think he's one of the few people who has had a chance to test all of these cars and probably has the best handle on how they all drive.
- 2006 325i E90 (sold)
- 2003 Touring 350z 6spd Twin Turbo (summer love)
- 2000 Prelude Greddy Turbo (sold)
- 1998 Eclipse Spyder GS-T (sold)
- 1993 Grand Prix GTP (sold)
- 1989 Bonneville SSE (my first love!! sold)
Hustler604 is offline   Reply With Quote