REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

AXXIS or HAWKS?

I am looking into upgrading my stock 2001 X5 brake pads, I was just wondering which are the better brand for me? and do I need to change the rotors too? BTW I got 22inch wheels><~

Thanks !
Advertisement
Pumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Depends on what you are looking for and how you drive. I've used the Axxis Ultimates and Hawk HPS for the street and like them both. Both are relatively long lasting. HPS seemed to dust less for me. Performance is above average for both on the street but then again I drive pretty mildly on the street.

I've also run the Hawk HP+ on the street and the track. Ihey bite nicely when warmed up, especially on a light weight track car like my Corolla GTS. They aren't bad cold, just not as good as the 2 above, but they do dust a lot.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

I think I prefer the dust less one, cuz I got mesh wheels and brake dust is just pain to clean. So do you know where I can get them ? how much is fair?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm personally a fan of Hawk HPS. It's what I usually tend to run on my cars. You should be able to pick 'em up at most automotive shops, though some may have to order them in for you.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Axxis has problems with pad deposits.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

have you considered the porterfield R4S??

i've run the hawk HPS and axxis ceramics... and i'll say now that i'll never run hawk HPS again... and the HP+ squeal like a half eaten seal... the axxis ceramics let off a dark, black dust... was managable and easy to rinse off tho...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

So I guess now its HAWKS HPS vs. porterfield R4S? I think I go with the better price?
I like to know where you guys recommend to buy and install?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I use Axxis Ultimate on my X5.. got it from autopartsway.ca they was on sale for 40ish with free ship for the front.

As with any low dust pads.. you have to wax your wheels when you changover your winters and summers.. then the dust won't stick.. Poor wheel maintence = crap wheel surfaces = more much crude etc stick on to it.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I've heard good things about EBC pads as well... anyone run these or know of people who have? I'm thinking of getting the 'Green' pads next time I need to do my brakes.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

ebc pads are quite possibly some of the worst on the market if you do any sort of competition, autox, lapping days, etc etc. but if you're just plopping around town, any pad will do.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Damn, I didn't think EBC pads were that shitty... good to know I guess
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

HAWK HPS pads..best pads for just street driving. I got them on my car on all 4 corners.

anything higher would be too much unless its going for the track.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

how's the brake dust on the Hawk HPS? Any pics of the wheels after driving for a week or so
wacko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

mine get pretty dusty. if you leave it on for a long time( >3 weeks) it can take some effort to remove it all
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko604 View Post
how's the brake dust on the Hawk HPS? Any pics of the wheels after driving for a week or so
i dont' have pictures, but i would say you can start to notice the dust after a few weeks. it also depends on the colour of the wheels as well as how hard you brake.

personally i don't think they're bad, i have nothing to compare it by though, but it's worth the dust lol.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #16

I've got the Axxis ULT on my E90 335i front and they are very clean when compare to the OEM rear pads. It's been almost two years now and there is at least 50% left. No complain here.

They are great for regular all weather street use.
Mikli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

hawk hps
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
I am looking into upgrading my stock 2001 X5 brake pads, I was just wondering which are the better brand for me? and do I need to change the rotors too? BTW I got 22inch wheels><~

Thanks !
First off if you are using stock rotors, use stock pads. Axiss or Hawk will chew the crap out of your rotors. Good god..does anyone even read the post. Its like a pissing contest with everything voicing their opinion on what pads are best.

If you are going to use metallic aftermarket pads, axxis, hawk or whatever..change your rotors.

If you want to keep your stock rotors use stock pads.
stutterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

HPS are pretty mild on your rotors in my experience. HP+ will definitely eat into them more, so stick with the HPS for the street. There are also many different compounds from Axxis. Ultimates bite more (but again are still on the mild side IMO), while Axxis Deluxe (sold under the PBR name brand) are very mild. I've used the Deluxe as a street pad for a while now with no issues on the road or on the rotors. All depends on the compound you are using, so I disagree with the above notion of sticking to the stock pad simply because you are using a "stock" rotor.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

pick hawks
last so long
lemonbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

stock rotors hold up just fine to hawk hps's or ultimates. now if u've machined them so thin and are constantly overheating your brakes, then thats a different story.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

i've had a grand prix GTP used hawk pads on stock rotor and there was nothing left of the rotor..same with my 240sx. So that was from my experience. I can't remember what hawk pads I used, but they chewed my rotors to hell.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutterr View Post
i've had a grand prix GTP used hawk pads on stock rotor and there was nothing left of the rotor..same with my 240sx. So that was from my experience. I can't remember what hawk pads I used, but they chewed my rotors to hell.
That's the point. Can't say Hawk pads eat rotors as a generic statement since you don't recall what pads you used. I've used Hawk Blues in the past for a track pad and sure if you used this on the street (which I wouldn't recommend since it's a track pad) it will eat up and chew your rotors to bits. But the HPS are designed to be relatively mild. I've used them in the past quite a bit so I'd be surprised if someone was experiencing heavy rotor wear. On top of that some cars just eat rotors. Look at the G35 sedans. Those kill rotors no matter what pad you use.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Well that was my experience I never stated what exact model I used , but I used both those companies and they destroyed my rotors. Generic or not, it was a valid comment.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #25
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
If they destroy rotors they destroy rotors. What difference does it make what kinda rotors you're going to use?

I have been using OEM blanks and no-name blanks to replace them for years and it works just fine.

I agree with the above comments that the Hawk HPS is the perfect street pad, but only for pure street driving (autoX included).

I've used both Axxis Ults and Hawk HP+. The HP+ is a bit more aggressive but howls like a mtherfker. The Ults squeal a little too bit not as bad. But they also dust like crazy. I'm okay with the dusting but some ppl aren't. As mentioned above, the HP+ are known to be hard on rotors, and the Axxis Ults are as well, to a lesser extent. But that's just how it is with more aggressive pads. Neither of these pads have ever held up to a full 25 minute track session for me without overheating, but they're both very good compromise pads and I highly recommend them to anyone who likes doing spirited runs through mountain passes.