REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Pedestrian Controlled Traffic Light

I read on here before under the thread "Rules that people dont know about" That at a pedestrian controlled traffic light that is not at an intersection, you must come to a complete stop and once the pedestrian passes and it is safe to do so you may proceed while the light is still red.

Is there a section in the MVA that pertains to this situation? I looked through it but was not able to locate it if there is. 50 percent of the people i talk to think it is illegal and the others think it is legal but still don't do it.

If one of the officers on the site has any knowledge of this section in the MVA, i would love to know it.
Advertisement

Last edited by silva95teg; 01-23-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added additional info
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
dont think your ever suppose to run a red dude. why not just wait for the green after the pedestrian goes through.... are you THAT impatient?
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^^Erm, you didn't read that thread very closely, as an officer DID comment on it...

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...8&postcount=23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark
If the red light is not at an intersection, you must stop, yield as necessary and then you can continue before it turns green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
dont think your ever suppose to run a red dude. why not just wait for the green after the pedestrian goes through.... are you THAT impatient?
I do wait for them just because people think you are breaking the law when you go through them. Thats not my question. And i know an officer has posted about it, i want to know if there is something i can show someone else in the MVA.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark
If the red light is not at an intersection, you must stop, yield as necessary and then you can continue before it turns green.
The "yield as necessary" also means that the peds have landed their feet on the other side of the crosswalk on a one-way street or landed their feet on the median that separates a two-way street.

My only advice is that... even though you can potential save time by doing this, I wouldn't be surprised if you get pulled over for it because not all officers know about this section of MVA and you will end up wasting more time trying to explain.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you get pulled over for it because not all officers know about this section of MVA and you will end up wasting more time trying to explain.
Do you know the section ?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

129 (5) When a red light is exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before reaching the signal, and
(b) a pedestrian may proceed across the roadway.

Contrast this to:

129 (1) Subject to subsection (2), when a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the red light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and subject to the provisions of subsection (3), must not cause the vehicle to proceed until a traffic control signal instructs the driver that he or she is permitted to do so.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #8

^Hmm, but there's nothing there that states the driver may proceed.

Then again, there's nothing there that says the driver can go even after the light turns green...
Quote:
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #9

Thanks Skidmark i see what you are saying, unfortunately like Soundy said it is pretty hard to determine that you do not have to remain stopped until the light is green.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Retired Traffic Cop

It doesn't tell you to remain stopped, so you don't need to. As soon as you have stopped, you have complied with what the rule requires you to do.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
It doesn't tell you to remain stopped, so you don't need to. As soon as you have stopped, you have complied with what the rule requires you to do.
Thanks Skidmark, i understand what it means, i still wouldn't like to have to argue that point with an officer if i were pulled over for it though
Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva95teg View Post
Thanks Skidmark, i understand what it means, i still wouldn't like to have to argue that point with an officer if i were pulled over for it though
Yes, I know what you mean.

One story I recall on this issue was the Chief Justice of BC being interviewed on CBC radio. He was talking about traffic law and told about finding himself across the intersection from a marked VPD car as they waited for a red light. He thought "we're at a one way street, so I'll have a bit of fun with this guy and turn left on red." He made the turn and sure enough, on came the emergency lights and the VPD officer pulled him over. "Officer, don't you know it's legal to turn left onto a one way street on a red light in BC?" "Yes" said the officer, "but the sign says not between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm!"

Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
^hahaahah ouch.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #14

OWNED!!! Baahahah
Quote:
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva95teg View Post
Just keep skidmark's phone number on you, and if it ever happens, tell the cop to give him a call

"Uh... you want me to call WHO?? 'Officer SKIDMARK'?? WTF??? Ummm.... have you had anything to drink tonight, sir?"
Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Regarding this, would this be concidered an intersection? set of lights on iether side of the road for both directions. On the left and right of you there are no lights... just driveways for the liquor store and coopers on the other. The lights are pedestrian controlled only. Can I stop than proceed at this intersection??
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

do i have to yield if the pedestrian light also has a 2way stop sign on each side cuz alot of times cars use the pedestrians to their advantage to make a left turn. if i am going straight, i dont need to yield to those cars that make the left turn? if collision occurs, not my fault?
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
do i have to yield if the pedestrian light also has a 2way stop sign on each side cuz alot of times cars use the pedestrians to their advantage to make a left turn. if i am going straight, i dont need to yield to those cars that make the left turn? if collision occurs, not my fault?

that would be an intersection...
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
I don't get it

yeah that's different.
What the OP is referring to is a setup similar to Rupert Street near superstore right under the skytrain. There's a pedestrian crossing there with a traffic light. So I guess, legally, you're allowed to proceed after the pedestrian has crossed even if the light is still red.

Personally, I'd just wait for the green because a few extra seconds won't kill you and I'd rather not have people staring at me going wtf or have to explain this to a cop if I get pulled over...
E=mc˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 View Post
Regarding this, would this be concidered an intersection? set of lights on iether side of the road for both directions. On the left and right of you there are no lights... just driveways for the liquor store and coopers on the other. The lights are pedestrian controlled only. Can I stop than proceed at this intersection??
is this the one on Lakeshore? You can proceed at that one as soon as its clear.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
is this the one on Lakeshore? You can proceed at that one as soon as its clear.
The intersection in rutland. Right by asher rd. The other intersection I am talking about is on springfield behind the Mall at the old benvolin/shell station.
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote