REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
I don't get it

I had an officer ask me to turn off my fogs when I was pulled over during a Roadblock inspection as well. I had my 91 Integra with yellow piaa fogs.

Do they have to be lower than your headlights? because stock fogs on DAs are the same height...
Advertisement
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGunna View Post
I had an officer ask me to turn off my fogs when I was pulled over during a Roadblock inspection as well. I had my 91 Integra with yellow piaa fogs.

Do they have to be lower than your headlights? because stock fogs on DAs are the same height...
If they aren't stock fogs you can't have them on. A lot of aftermarket fogs will say right on it "For off road use only"
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
I don't get it

oh ya.. i guess i didnt account for that. They were in the stock headlight housing.. just used piaa bulbs.
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #29
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Police officers should seriously get reprimanded for giving out bogus tickets.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I wonder what makes them think it's illegal, don't they get trained on what is, and what is not illegal? Are they confusing highbeams with fog lights? Seems weird that a lot of cops think something is illegal when it's not.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Our 2007 Ford focus has Daytime Runnning lamps operated in the low beam circuit at 60 % brillance the main lamps switch allow's on the first position the operation of tail lamps park lamps and the fog lamps can be switched on alone to meet BC M.V. regulations either fog lamps in adverse weather and low beam headlamps at slower speeds . works good until you start the engine then the D.R.L.starts automatically and cannot be switched off, even if the driver wants to try and peer under the fog without the main lamps that are mounted higher on the vehicle
rubenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenoff View Post
Our 2007 Ford focus has Daytime Runnning lamps operated in the low beam circuit at 60 % brillance the main lamps switch allow's on the first position the operation of tail lamps park lamps and the fog lamps can be switched on alone to meet BC M.V. regulations either fog lamps in adverse weather and low beam headlamps at slower speeds . works good until you start the engine then the D.R.L.starts automatically and cannot be switched off, even if the driver wants to try and peer under the fog without the main lamps that are mounted higher on the vehicle
sorry but i had to point out that was a really really long first sentence..lol
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #33

why would fog lamps be used when there is no fog on the highway system, when the weather is clear having any additional light displayed other than the headlamps, is more of a look at me and lowering the respect level for others who share the roadway, these comments are from a 59 year accident free vehicle operator, we need and will appreciate the use of fog lamps when the weather is really foggy or rainy and the seeing distance is seriously lowered to the point that road lighting from a lower level source is needed to let the driver better peer under the fog have a really nice day
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #34

as a licensed B.C mechanic and Vehicle inspector when a vehicle is referred for mechanical inspection from a road side citation the first thing,s to be inspected are the mounting height, alignment, Bulb or lamps design, and the wiring hookup,can the fog lamps be operated with the tail lamps and park lamps, is there a facility so the fog lamps can be operated by a separate switch and not hard wired to low or high beam, after checking the M.V. inspection manual requirement the vehicle is given back to the owner operator, and it is their responsibility to meet road and weather conditions, and accident prevention regulations have a great day

see u tube link below with pictures and comments.s from canada

Last edited by rubenoff; 03-02-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: add link with photos and commants
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Dude..use periods. Please.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
Dude..use periods. Please.
Dudes been driving for 59 years. That makes him possibly older and more senile than MG1. He's probably never heard of periods.
He also thinks his DRL runs at 60% on the low beam on his Focus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #37
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
The factory "Fog" lights on my Mazda will only turn on when the low beam headlamps are on. It is impossible to turn off the headlamps while keeping the "fog" lights illuminated.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of fog lamps, doesn't it?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Which kind of defeats the purpose of fog lamps,
doesn't it?
It does. My car is wired up the same way.

While the MVA permits the use of fog lamps in place of low-beam headlights in adverse weather conditions, not all cars are wired up to operate this way.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #39
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I'm not sure how it works on whatever year/model of Focus he has, but that's how they work on my car too.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I'm not sure how it works on whatever year/model of Focus he has, but that's how they work on my car too.
What year and model car do you have?

Most cars use high beam at the lower percent.
9003, 9004, 9006 bulbs.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #41

Having D.R.L. on High Beam is not the best operation because the beam is higher focused
and the low beam is a lower focused beam and offers better respect for the eyes of the oncoming motorist.s .
Our Fleetwood R.V. has the same system and the D.R.L. operates in the low beam at 60% lower brillance these kits have been available starting in the 1980 era. we installed aprox 6000 across B.C. in Highways fleet operations and that standard eventuallly became the National standard supplied in many vehicles across canada and the U.S.A.
cheers have a nice day.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #42
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
What year and model car do you have?

Most cars use high beam at the lower percent.
9003, 9004, 9006 bulbs.
2005 Subaru. Uses H7 bulbs for the low beams, operated at reduced power for the DRLs.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Mazda 3's use the high beam bulb, at lower output through Pulse Width Modulation
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
from the B.C Regulations.

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #45
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

what the hell? might as well give everyone in the city a ticket because that's how fogs are wired from the factory....
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Things are getting a bit complicated with all these regulations being posted, let'ssimplify it.. if your car comes from the factory like that it obviously meets Canadian standards for legal road use, so it's fully legal, it's just that simple no matter what interpretation a certain cop may have.
I remember when the Lexus IS first came out, cops were giving out tickets like hotcakes for the clear style taillights since that was one of the first if not the first car to come with clear tails OEM.

You're gonna have to waste your day going to dispute it in court, you should win it without any problems....
UNLESS the officer shows up and the judge feels almost required to side with the officer in order not to make him look stupid in front of all the people in the courtroom.... that's exactly what happened to me, it's not fun
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
I remember when the Lexus IS first came out, cops were giving out tickets like hotcakes for the clear style taillights since that was one of the first if not the first car to come with clear tails OEM.
Same thing in 2000 and 2001 with the S2000 and their projector headlights. Some cops were handing out tickets to drivers for having "blue" headlights.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #48

the B.C. and canadian Vehicle inspection programme and the Motor Vehicle act regulations were set in place to provide safety standards that were overlooked at the factory and in many cases create recalls for units that were fitted for the purposes of increased sales and did not meet the safety of others who use the road system. and People who drive around with fog lamps lit on clear days or clear nights, may find that their vehicle will have to pass motor vehicle inspection rules, and have to correct correct the fault and try to get their money back from the builder,
we have experienced vehicles being sent for addition of tail lamps and park lamps operation with fog lamps that were not fitted properly and caught by the police in road side inspection and corrected throught the inspection facility have a nice week end
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #49
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

In terms of fog lights, I really really hate those people who leave their rear foglight on all the time. It is very annoying cause it's quite bright and you keep thinking they have their brake light on.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #50
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Dudes been driving for 59 years. That makes him possibly older and more senile than MG1. He's probably never heard of periods.
i know 2008 toyota corolla's DRLs work the same way.

thats why when people hid kits on to them, they also need to kill drls. otherwise, the ballasts wont fire.
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote