REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Brown spots on my skate blades.

So after hockey, I forgot to bring my towel and didn't wipe my blades completely dry, because they're still cold, and moist still forms on them a bit. I would have to wait like 15 mins of constant wiping if I wanted them completely dry... anyway, I wiped them down with toilet paper as much as I could, put on plastic guards, threw them in my bag and drove home (30 mins). I take them out of my bag and see tiny brown spots on the bottom of my blades. The sides are fine though. I didn't think rust could develop so fast...

Logically, they look like they could come off with a bit of skating, but I'm not sure...

Now the question, should I just go for a skate and the rust will wear off?
Get them sharpened again? (I just sharpened with about 1 hour of usage) or am I screwed with rusted blades? They are just small brown spots though. Maybe like only 4 or 5 spots of brown distributed along the bottom of my blade. And would those spots grow in time if not dealt with properly? As in the rust begins to eat away more steel?
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

sides are usually fine from rust..i think the sides have sort of protectant from rust.
Next time u sharpen them, the dots will go away.

Next time, or next few times...don't use the skate guards and see what happens. I remember my bottoms used to rust whenever i put my skate protectors on....i had those bulky rubber ones.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Wierd. Had it happen to me when I was playing Pee-Wee hockey but never since then.

I think the difference maker would be that you used a toilet paper/paper towel instead of a normal towel that night. Those suckers tend to not do a good job absorbing taking the moisture off your steel.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Next time, or next few times...don't use the skate guards and see what happens. I remember my bottoms used to rust whenever i put my skate protectors on....i had those bulky rubber ones.
If I don't use my skate guards, something's gonna get hacked up in my bag or my blades are gonna get dull very fast. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Wierd. Had it happen to me when I was playing Pee-Wee hockey but never since then.

I think the difference maker would be that you used a toilet paper/paper towel instead of a normal towel that night. Those suckers tend to not do a good job absorbing taking the moisture off your steel.

The funny thing is... I usually forget to bring my towel and end up using toilet paper anyway. I don't have a "designated" towel I leave in my bag for skates. But this is the first time it has happened. I guess it's time for me to get a designated towel...

So I should just leave it as it is? And just wait until I sharpen my skates again next time?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

happened to me, no biggie. if it's on the sides or you don't want to wait to sharpen just take a piece of sand paper and sand off the rust. worked for me (y)
TylerY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

what kinda skates you got?
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
If I don't use my skate guards, something's gonna get hacked up in my bag or my blades are gonna get dull very fast. lol

The funny thing is... I usually forget to bring my towel and end up using toilet paper anyway. I don't have a "designated" towel I leave in my bag for skates. But this is the first time it has happened. I guess it's time for me to get a designated towel...

So I should just leave it as it is? And just wait until I sharpen my skates again next time?
Hmmm. Not too sure on this one. In my case, I would wait as I play almost 5 days a week and have to sharpen on either a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

However, I do remember that you only play once a week. So it's hard for me to foresee when your next sharpen would be. If you sharpen between 5+ games, that means you wouldn't be seeing a skate techie for a month and a half to 2 months.

You know what you could do. Just call Cyclone Taylors and ask. It's a simple question with a quick answer so I don't think they would mind. That's why the put their contact # on their website. For info .
Old 01-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
It is rust, but not a big deal. Next time you skate, that brown spot will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

it chicken pox ahhhhhh...its just rust dude
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's just rust. It will go away with a sharpen.

If I were you I would just go out and buy a 99 cent towel, or better yet find an old cloth lying around at home. I dry my skates as soon as I take them off and then I wipe the blades again when I hang my stuff to dry when I get home and I never see rust spots.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If I were you I would just go out and buy a 99 cent towel, or better yet find an old cloth lying around at home. I dry my skates as soon as I take them off and then I wipe the blades again when I hang my stuff to dry when I get home and I never see rust spots.
+1. Exactly what I do.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
I don't get it

Buy some skate soakers. They will soak up the excess water as well as protect your bag from your skate blades.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._AA280_.jpg <--- cute!
http://www.prolineskates.com/acatalo...ladecovers.jpg

Last edited by chic604; 01-27-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added Links
chic604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

i use the kind of skate guards that absorb any extra moisture that might not have been taken off with a towel wipe

but yeah, just use any cheap towel, or if you're really desperate, just use the towel you use on yourself

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chic604 View Post
Buy some skate soakers. They will soak up the excess water as well as protect your bag from your skate blades.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._AA280_.jpg <--- cute!
yeah hes right get some soakers. they work as blade covers so nothing in your bag will get torn up. but the thing is , you have to take em off when you get home and wipe all the moisture off.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

hey man
try putting some wd40 on em......just spray your fingers and run them over them....will prevent rust...the lady who does my skates told me to do that when same thing happened to me....hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Try washing the skate blades with luke warm water after you play. Then towel dry. If the blades are cold from the ice, they still have moisture from condensation.

But don't really worry about those spots as they are just rust stains. Even if you let the skates sit like that for a period of time, a skate sharpen will remove all of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You shouldn't have to do anything to your skates other than drying them with a towel. If you take well enough care of your skates they won't rust.

If you forget to bring a towel with you to the rink, just use your hockey socks to dry your blades off. If you're careful enough you won't cut into the sock. When you get home dry them off with a proper towel and hang to dry.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I didn't expect to get so many. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
If you forget to bring a towel with you to the rink, just use your hockey socks to dry your blades off. If you're careful enough you won't cut into the sock. When you get home dry them off with a proper towel and hang to dry.
I never thought about that using my hockey socks... good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chic604 View Post

haha, those are the exact same skates I have.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
Art & Graphics Moderator

A good towel (I use a microfibre towel since I bought a ton at Canadian Tire on sale long time ago lol) and skate soakers will do the trick, just wipe the blades down again when you get home and the blades have warmed up some.

If you're really paranoid though... you can wipe your blades down with a bit of household oil. I've never bothered, personally. Any rust on the edge will scrape away next time you hit the ice.
REVscene.net - The #1 Import Lifestyles Website >>
Post your artwork, computer graphics, typography, and other creative stylings in the Import Art Forum!!!
absolutZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

oh snap...not sure if its been mentioned or so....

You don't want to store your skates with ANY kind of skate guards on. If you hang em, great, take off the guards.

If you lay them, lay them on top of a dry towel or skate mat.

Thats a good source of rust, storing with guards on.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #21

Just remember, (and I've seen this done before) Skate soakers do a good job protecting your skates in the bag, but do little outside the bag. That means, unlike the plastic skate protector, don't walk around on skate soakers on hard surfaces.

Especially since some rinks rubber flooring are old and concrete like. Burnaby Lake rink & Minoru Ice to name a few.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)?

Crap, totally forgot about Sportcheck's family savings event yesterday (and on Wed). I could of got some skate soakers.

I have a sports tree to hang my equipment up when I'm at home.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Crap, totally forgot about Sportcheck's family savings event yesterday (and on Wed). I could of got some skate soakers.
Don't worry about it dude. They're so inexpensive, they're not one of those things that you don't really need to go out of your way to find a deal for.

http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/accesso...ateaccess.html

Here's a quick reference to their cost: Senior Skate Soakers $6.99 CDN.

I'd say, give or take a few dollars, just go to the most convenient hockey shop, rink pro shops, or even walmart for that matter.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)?

^ oh, I thoguht they were like $15 or something.
Maybe I looked at the price wrong the last time I was at Sportchek