REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Paint Sealant Applied by dealership vs polish/wax?

When I bought my new Mazdaspeed 3 the dealership sold me a paint sealant package for an extra $550.

Is anyone familiar with these sealants? Apparently I am never supposed to apply a wax, and I have to have an inspection every so often, and a re-application every so many years.

How well does it work compared to a good polish/wax? I am most concerned with paint fade/oxidation protection since I am parking my MS3 outdoors.

Thanks
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

How does it feel to be robbed of $550.00? Anyway that sealant they sell you is no better than your average cheap meguiars wax. The piece of paper you get with checkups for your paint is nothing but a gimmick. Use anything you like on your paint. Chances are that wax they put on your paint wont last for more than a couple weeks. FYI I used to apply that shit for 2 dealerships.

**edit

Theres some good info in the general car care section that lets you know whats good to put on your paint as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Yeah they pretty much just took $550 out of your wallet. For that money, you could have gotten yourself plenty of sealant/wax. Good quality ones, or a porter cable + polishes.
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kish- View Post
How does it feel to be robbed of $550.00? Anyway that sealant they sell you is no better than your average cheap meguiars wax. The piece of paper you get with checkups for your paint is nothing but a gimmick. Use anything you like on your paint. Chances are that wax they put on your paint wont last for more than a couple weeks. FYI I used to apply that shit for 2 dealerships.
That's why I'm asking, because not having bought a new car before I don't know these things.

I'm no stranger to waxing my car. When I detail the Mustang it's an all day affair.

Oh well at least I didn't go for the $1000 package.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

I'm no stranger to waxing my car. When I detail the Mustang it's an all day affair.
how did u still manage to fall for this than ......
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

i wouldn't trust the dealer to do any car detailing related stuffs. you'd ought to see some the shit they are doing in the back with your car, like taking a broom to your car to give a nice clean swirl. so fuck no to the $550 bucks sealant bs.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
i wouldn't trust the dealer to do any car detailing related stuffs. you'd ought to see some the shit they are doing in the back with your car, like taking a broom to your car to give a nice clean swirl. so fuck no to the $550 bucks sealant bs.
yeah I worked at nissan and we used a brush (pretty much a broom lol) to wash a lot of the cars. The brush has been laid on the ground, left in acidic wheel cleaner, you name it, we got it!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor78 View Post
yeah I worked at nissan and we used a brush (pretty much a broom lol) to wash a lot of the cars. The brush has been laid on the ground, left in acidic wheel cleaner, you name it, we got it!
Wow thats horrible!
Did they wash every car that came in for service or was it just whoever requested a wash?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Wow thats horrible!
Did they wash every car that came in for service or was it just whoever requested a wash?
Not going to say which Nissan I worked at. But cars that came in for servicing got a really old mitt. Don't even know what type. But yeah they either got a really old raggity mitt or a brush. It's a green brush that is used for... everything. Then for new cars, they all got a Megs Microfiber mitt, for the top parts and the bottom part of the car got a brush. Whenever my parents/sister take their cars in, I tell them not to get it washed, just serviced and thats it. My moms G was pretty much swirl free, and then some asswipe smashed our window so the window got replaced and body shop cleaned the car up with a broom for us. Now it's completely swirled. Oh well, now you guys know, wash with two buckets and don't let anybody else wash your car! Also, no waterblades!!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
How I Mod your mother

Damn good thing you posted this, I have to take my car in for service next week. Now I'll say very clearly NOT to wash it, service and thats it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor78 View Post
Not going to say which Nissan I worked at. But cars that came in for servicing got a really old mitt. Don't even know what type. But yeah they either got a really old raggity mitt or a brush. It's a green brush that is used for... everything. Then for new cars, they all got a Megs Microfiber mitt, for the top parts and the bottom part of the car got a brush. Whenever my parents/sister take their cars in, I tell them not to get it washed, just serviced and thats it. My moms G was pretty much swirl free, and then some asswipe smashed our window so the window got replaced and body shop cleaned the car up with a broom for us. Now it's completely swirled. Oh well, now you guys know, wash with two buckets and don't let anybody else wash your car! Also, no waterblades!!
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

yeah never let the "stealership" anywhere near your paint, most of their free washes end up costing you money in paint correction.

they always try to sell these sealant/protection packages for an arm and a leg when you can get the same for less than half. i am a big fan of paint sealants like zaino but they only last a bit longer than seasonal wax jobs. the stuff isnt magic and will need to be re-applied... twice a year is good for most people, four times a year is best if you can afford the time/money.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Damn good thing you posted this, I have to take my car in for service next week. Now I'll say very clearly NOT to wash it, service and thats it
Yeah no problem. The mechanics there are all good guys and do good work. Just do service and get outta there. The guy that washes for service does shitty jobs, don't get it washed. Save yourself the time lol
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
This car care tech forum doesn't really have a FAQ unfortunately...

But they probably just put on the sealant, which is essentially the same as putting on a wax but just lasts longer since its synthetic

a bottle of good sealant costs 30-40 dollars, and its good for 10-20 recoats. Sealant is usually applied 2-3 times a year, and wax can be applied over it as long as it's not a cleaner wax (since cleaner waxes have stripping properties which could weaken the sealant)

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=578036 for more in depth look at detailing terminology
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #14

Thanks Gatorade, your reply was exactly the type of info I was looking for.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4