REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   VW Confirms Next generation Polo is Heading to the U.S. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/562306-vw-confirms-next-generation-polo-heading-u-s.html)

kumbo1 01-27-2009 12:39 PM

VW Confirms Next generation Polo is Heading to the U.S.

For years it was said that American consumers wouldn't buy those puny hatches that were the mainstay of the European auto industry. Now, no automaker can wait to introduce yet another "fuel-efficient" vehicle into the US market.

VW has announced the Polo will be coming to America (Next-generation Polo GTi rendering in picture).

VW development chief Ulrich Hackenberg announced the decision to Automotive News at the Detroit auto show saying,"The small-car segment is the fastest growing segment in the U.S.," and that American consumers had an "increasing enthusiasm for smaller, fuel-efficient cars."

When did that happen? Oh, yes, when the economy went into complete meltdown.

And even though the cost of oil is at a 5-year low and gas prices have come down sharply since the bubble last summer, it seems there has been a paradigm shift on the part of the US consumer and fuel-efficient cars are now what they want.

VW is obviously moving forward on that assumption and Hackenberg believes that oil prices will eventually rise again and drive up small-car sales even more.

US-bound Polos could possibly be produced at VW's production plant in Pueblo, Mexico, Hackenberg said too.

The next-generation Polo will be unveiled by VW at the Geneva motor show in March.

VW has not set a date for the Polo to make it to US showrooms.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/1/l...-rendering.jpg

maxx 01-27-2009 12:56 PM

this will shut the Fit owners up

bcrdukes 01-27-2009 01:21 PM

Awww man...no funky harlequin colours. :(

sixthgear 01-27-2009 02:47 PM

haha, the last time I was in France I had a polo...not a bad little car.

Correction, it was when I was in Ireland...france was a Renault

Gtrr33 01-27-2009 02:49 PM

VDUBS ARE SO UGLY

fetched 01-27-2009 03:00 PM

Sexy little cars, too bad their made in Mexico

Black SC2 01-27-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetched (Post 6248927)
Sexy little cars, too bad their made in Mexico

I'll take a German engineered, Mexican built compact over any of the Chinese compacts lurking in the shadows for their chance to hit our streets. The current crop of Mexi-dubs are just fine are they not? Don't forget, Mexico is also the country that brought us Tequila, burritos, Corona and cheap vacations.

fetched 01-27-2009 06:11 PM

^
Yes Yes i hate China cars too, and i would take any car over China made cars, not just the polo.But i wouldn't want my german car to be built anywhere near Mexico nor China. I don't love EVERYTHING about China, just almost everything =)
Anyways you are right, it is a entry level vehicle and with where the euro is at right now, it wouldn't make much sense to build it anywhere in Europe.

Let me remind you Mexico is also the country that reminds us of kidnappings, gang violence and drug cartels.

too_slow 01-27-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fetched (Post 6249308)
^
Yes Yes i hate China cars too, and i would take any car over China made cars, not just the polo.But i wouldn't want my german car to be built anywhere near Mexico nor China. I don't love EVERYTHING about China, just almost everything =)
Anyways you are right, it is a entry level vehicle and with where the euro is at right now, it wouldn't make much sense to build it anywhere in Europe.

Let me remind you Mexico is also the country that reminds us of kidnappings, gang violence and drug cartels.

I honestly think a Brazilian built MK4 GTI had much better fit and finish than a brand new Canadian made Toyota Corolla.. I won't even go into the details about the panel gaps on a brand new 09 Corolla (service loaner)...

asian_XL 01-27-2009 06:17 PM

my relative has a current gen 1.8T manual in red. It's quick, but other than that, I would choose a Fit or Yaris over this.

The interior doesn't look too appealing for its class and noise level is high.
if the new gen doesn't fix the shit, I don't know how they will sell in NA

.Renn.Sport 01-27-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

^

those chinese build VW are actually much better then the mexico ones....

at least the Passat in China felt no different from the german ones in HK
same deal with BMW 3 series and 5 series.

fetched 01-27-2009 06:24 PM

^
3 series and 5 series are fine because all the parts are from Germany, Assembled in China
But VW in China IS CRAP, since 40-70% of the parts are made in China. I sat in the new passat in Beijing, which is called Magotan or something like that, the exterior of course looks the same, but once your inside, oh damn the plastic is everywhere. So i ended up buying a 320i.

fetched 01-27-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 6249313)
I honestly think a Brazilian built MK4 GTI had much better fit and finish than a brand new Canadian made Toyota Corolla.. I won't even go into the details about the panel gaps on a brand new 09 Corolla (service loaner)...

Because GTI > Corolla Period. :haha:
And he was talking about the new China auto companies trying to get into the NA market with their replicas of every big manufacture in the world.

thumper 01-27-2009 08:04 PM

i hope it has a better interior than the current polo because it's like sitting in a cheap lunchbox :(

Black SC2 01-27-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

I've been trying to ignore that stuff, I'm going to Mexico tomorrow.... :D

asian_XL 01-28-2009 05:40 AM

^ lucky guy, 6usd for a costco-size liquour is awesome.

make sure you bring a dozen of bags, mexican are a bunch of horny skanks :)

Nitroholic 01-28-2009 11:29 AM

this better come with a few diesel options

bcrdukes 01-28-2009 11:41 AM

Man, where do you people even get these so-called facts from to prove your points? Oh wait, let me guess. Out of your asses. That was hard. :rolleyes:

Nightwalker 01-28-2009 12:47 PM

*yawwwn*

q0192837465 01-28-2009 12:54 PM

nice little car. But I doubt they'll sell. I personally think VW is in a bad price range. For a lil more u can get an Audi. Or for less u can get a comparable Jap car. What would ppl buy VW?

fetched 01-28-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6250675)
Man, where do you people even get these so-called facts from to prove your points? Oh wait, let me guess. Out of your asses. That was hard. :rolleyes:

care to explain?:hi:

RabidRat 01-28-2009 03:18 PM

oooh Polo GTI. i'd love to see some of those over here.

unit 01-28-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 6249313)

when a brazilian built GTI starts at $15,000CDN, your argument will become valid.

too_slow 01-28-2009 05:08 PM

^I should have said Brazillian made MK4 Golf.. It started at $19k back in 2004, and a Fit starts at 18k ... I would say my arguement is valid

death_blossom 01-28-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6249315)
my relative has a current gen 1.8T manual in red. It's quick, but other than that, I would choose a Fit or Yaris over this.

The interior doesn't look too appealing for its class and noise level is high.
if the new gen doesn't fix the shit, I don't know how they will sell in NA

you gotta be kidding me.

anyhow, I'm glad to see the new Polo is coming to America. I assume that Canada gets it too!