REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
oh you just look so big

Any '90-93 Accord owners in here? Thinking of buying one...

Hey gang...a crazy deal on a '90 Accord just came my way and I'm thinking of picking it up as a daily. It needs an oil pan gasket and a muffler/tailpipe...what else should I look out for?

Currently, it has 153K kms on it and it has one elderly lady owner (she was in her mid-40s when she bought it brand new). It's a 2dr 5spd. Any problems I can expect to run into in the next little while?

How are these things on gas? Anything else you'd like to add, I'd be happy to hear...thanks very much!
Advertisement
B4N M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I had one that had about 160K on it, this was back in 2001 or so.. It was problem after problem, every little thing kept breaking down. The ignition wouldn't work, the distributor started leaking, the gaskets started leaking, etc.

But then it wasn't maintained that well before I owned it, so who knows... I wouldn't get another one though.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
oh you just look so big

hmmm...well that's not very encouraging lol...thanks for the input, though, much appreciated
Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
LYC
I don't get it

my mom had a 92 sedan that ran for ever problem free until the distributor crapped out. it did go for at least 7 or 8 years till anything major happened.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I had a 92, 2dr 5spd EXR that I loved. I would most likely still have it if it hadn't gotten written off...

It was a great car, no major issues at all. SkinnyPupp must have gotten a lemon, cause it's fairly rare you hear about these cars being a pain in the ass.

If you're gettin' a screamin' deal, go for it.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
as is the case with most any car, it will be as good as its owners keep it.
i believe they're a 2.2l. i've noticed with all the ones i've driven that fuel consumption was significantly higher than the average 1.6-1.8 hondas.
just inspect it thoroughly and pour over the maintenance records. try and get as detailed an idea of the history of the vehicle and you'll know where to go from there.
oh yeah, and those interior door handles like to break. hot ticket item, those handles are

this should probably be in the new honda/acura tech section though
good luck
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
oh you just look so big

Thanks guys...that's sounding good This isn't an EXR (no sunroof, manual windows), but no big deal

Also, my mom says it's silver (I'm in Edmonton, the car's in Nanaimo)...but I haven't seen any 2dr 1990 Accords in silver, only pewter...did they make a silver? or is it most likely pewter?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
i drive a 90 exr, must say, i love the car, i keep it well maintained, and i rarely ever have problems with it!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4N M3 View Post
Thanks guys...that's sounding good This isn't an EXR (no sunroof, manual windows), but no big deal

Also, my mom says it's silver (I'm in Edmonton, the car's in Nanaimo)...but I haven't seen any 2dr 1990 Accords in silver, only pewter...did they make a silver? or is it most likely pewter?
i think silver was only available in the lx or ex... one of the base models w/out color matched door handles or mirrors
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I had a 90 lx 5 speed had 360 000 km on it when I sold it. The only problems I had was the alternator went and the cruise stoped working. Made for an awsome daily driver
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
oh you just look so big

wow...yeah I've seen quite a few examples with 300k+ on the clock for sale...thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

timing belts and water pumps. make sure they have been tamas and if they havent in the last 100k, make sure you do it, other than that, just drive it.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

my brother is driving my old 93 right now to and from work. 400k + and still running like a champ

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #14

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
ummm, not really around the year... but i drive an 03' accord, bought it brand new back in the day had it ever since... no problems for me!

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

i've owned a couple of them..motor and tranny is strong..I;ve had a lot of problems with car..radiator, starter, rust..be careful for the lemons
Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

'92 accord exr with 285km and still running. had to fix a few problems but still pretty smooth. really solid.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

- check for rust in the rear quater panels / wheel wells area.
- cv boots/joints in good order
- power antenna still work or not
- trunk tail light seals (check base board that covers the spare..) for leaks
- Check power windows/sunroof if equipped

those are the things I could think of now.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #18

listen to m speed he knows whats up. although usually its just the drivers side window that messes up

RS Feedback Rating
CrisQo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

What's getting a good deal on a 90' Accord? I already wouldn't pay more than $800 for one.

Anyways I know its a different generation but my 92' Civic Si after 220km's had nothing but problems. I guess it all matter's how you drive a car.

People on these forums like to say all the time how far Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's, etc can go. Both my Honda's died rather early. My CM400T at 45,000, and my Si at 220,000. Whereas I had a Chevy van that did 369,000km's when I sold. Worked amazing.

EDIT: Worked amazing until everything shat out around that KM's
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

They do come with a few common problems but in general, they are solid cars. Mine's got 375K and runs like new but I maintain mine very well.

Gaskets on any car start getting brittle with age so if the oil pan is starting to leak, I'd probably change the distributor o-ring and also the valve cover gasket/spark plug tube seals as well (they come as a set). Shouldn't cost you more than $40 for those and the oil pan gasket is about $15-$20.

You may have to reseal the tailights as it's very common for it to leak there (fixed by removing the tailight and running a bead of silicone where the housing meets the body). Dead power antennas, slow power windows, rust in the rear quarters are things that should be checked. The slow windows 50% of the time can be fixed by spraying silicone lube in the rubber channels.

Make sure the engine has the balanceshaft seal retainer installed. Google "Accord seal retainer" and you'll find tons of info on it.

If the car is starting to put out high Nox readings at Aircare, you will need to drill out the egr ports and clean them out as they get clogged with carbon (very common). This can be googled as well.

At 153K, you shouldn't really experience the "common" things just yet. It usually starts happening after 200K like heater blower motor dying, door lock latch breaking, distributor dying, interior door handle cracking (made of plastic), alternator dying.

The great thing though is parts for this car is readliy available and if you don't mind the trip to Pickapart in Chiliwack, CHEAP as well.

As for fuel economy, mine is a 90 EXR auto and it gets roughly 550km per 50L. For comparison, my 88 CRX Si manual gets 525km per 35L and my 99 Mustang GT gets 450km per 50L in the exact same driving conditions (70% hwy, 30% city).

Hope this helps. BTW, how much is she asking?
YK86 is offline   Reply With Quote