REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Arrow Aircare & engine swap question...

Searched the site, but couldn't find any specific answers to my question.

Since I have a 1999 car, last time I went to Aircare they did the OBD plug test, and since I had the stock motor at the time, I obviously had no issues.

Fast forward 2 years, and now I've got a swapped motor in the car. The motor is fine, and it's not throwing codes or anything...

When they plug into my car now, I should be fine as long as my CEL light isn't on, etc right?

There has to a least a fews people on the board that have done a swap and done the whole OBD Aircare test afterwards. I just wanted to know of any heads up, suggestions, or things I might need to do before I hit Aircare.
Advertisement
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Are we talking about an engine swap involving the same or similar engine, or one that doesn't come stock with that car and/or year?

Generally speaking, provided it doesn't throw any CEL's (and provided that your OBD2 plug is actually wired in properly), you shouldn't have a problem. You also need to have a Cat for when they do the physical inspection.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Yea if you went OBD2 still and it runs fine and throws no codes your fine ie.. swapping a B16A2 into an EK hatch as long as you run the stock SIR ECU you should be fine. The only problem will be if your running a P28 or something.

Another question I have on this subject though is this when you go through aircare do you tell them what motor you have or just let them test you? A B18C5 will have different emission standards than a D15 would it not? If they just went by what year and model your car was it would throw off the test. I also heard your not allowed to put in a motor that is older than your car. Aircare is gay.

Berz out.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

will you still pass aircare running on p28 ecu even with stock cat and no codes?
Hyper_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Another question I have on this subject though is this when you go through aircare do you tell them what motor you have or just let them test you? A B18C5 will have different emission standards than a D15 would it not? If they just went by what year and model your car was it would throw off the test. I also heard your not allowed to put in a motor that is older than your car. Aircare is gay.
You'll simply be tested on what the vehicle's VIN states. So if you have an '88 Jetta that originally came with a 1.8L 8v, but currently has a 2.8 VR6 swap in it, you'll simply be tested on the emissions that the original engine is supposed to have. Theoretically, the newer the engine, the cleaner it should burn.

However, the problem behind that is what happens if you don't claim the engine swap with ICBC and you get into an accident.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #6

Cool, thanks for the info. I went from a D16y8 to a JDM B18b. The B18 has a lot less kms than my old motor, burns less oil, and is in tip top shape. The swap was done a good shop, so all my wiring is proper. No corners were cut with this swap. I'm almost curious to see what this motor's reading would be on the rollers...

In regards to vehicle readings with a bigger than stock motor, you should be fine as long as the swap wasn't extreme. Like those guys who drop a 5.0L 'stang motor into a Miata.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I thought there is a also an requirement that the engine dropped into the chassis must be newer than the chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed View Post
In regards to vehicle readings with a bigger than stock motor, you should be fine as long as the swap wasn't extreme. Like those guys who drop a 5.0L 'stang motor into a Miata.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I thought there is a also an requirement that the engine dropped into the chassis must be newer than the chassis?
I haven't heard of that before.

I think they do the test according to the chasis year. (vin number)
If your chasis is 98 or newer, you probably wont get any emmsion reading from aircare. On 98 and newer, they check to see if the ecu's readiness codes are set (completed). You're allowed up to 2 to not be completed and still pass. If you have 3(maybe 4, cant remember) then they do the drive test on the dyno. If you pass the driving test, then its a pass. Too many incomplte readiness codes are a fail.
readiness codes are the ecu's self test on its emission components. (converter, egr, evap etc.) Completing some of these tests take a few driving cycles, so it could take a few days maybe more depending on your driving habits.
Once they are complete, they stay complete. Unless an emission part fails or you have your ecu re-set.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

similar question guys, I drive a 01 integra
but the car is running a OBD1 ECU.. same motor, but the previous owner used a 94-96 ECU..can i still pass aircare? or how will I go about this? because I don't have the 01 ECU.
SpoonFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

nope, u gotta get your stock 01 ecu
obd1 ecu wont read when you connect to obd2 connector
Hyper_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

UPDATE

I hate to drag up an old thread, but I thought I'd let people know how my AirCare adventure went, and if anyone has suggestions...

Since I had the day off today, I figured I'd get my car through AirCare, or at least try. Turns out, even though all the proper harnesses were used when the motor was swapped, (going from OBD2b to OBD2a) and the fact that I'm running a JDM ECU, the AirCare computer could NOT interface with my ECU. so I was rejected and didn't get a pass.

They tried a bunch of times, even switching cables to be 100% sure. No dice. I figured the next step was to run my car on the rollers. Nope. Not anymore anyway. 98+ newer vehicle OBD systems HAVE to be able to interface with the AirCare computers. So even though I'm sure my car would pass the roller test, because it won't interface with AirCare's computer, I'm hooped. One good thing, I at least got my $45 back.

So, I'm going to try a USDM ECU. Garage Five figures this should do the trick, and I'm hoping it will. I figured I'd come across more people that have had this problem, but I guess not?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

To OP sorry to steal your thread, but i have a similar situation..I have an 01 integra(OBD2B) but what happened was when I bought the car he didn't have the OBD2b ecu anymore and whats in my car now is a OBD2B to OBD1.

Obviously aircare doesn't scan OBD1, So i went out and bought a OBD2a ecu from a 96 teg, can I just get the harness OBD2b to OBD2a and use this ecu and pass aircare? and No im not throwing any CEL codes.
SpoonFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #13

You should be ok, as long as it's a USDM ecu. Make sure you give it a few days after installing the ecu. You want to make sure all your readiness monitors are ready. If they're not ready, you'll fail... even if you're not throwing codes. Good luck, and I hope it works out.