REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Bespoke/MTM thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563065-bespoke-mtm-thread.html)

micbain 02-02-2009 07:28 AM

Bespoke/MTM thread

I noticed some interested in this forum regarding MTM/Bespoke suits, shirts, pants, shoes, etc. I think it would be nice to put all the info on one thread including the tailor, prices, results and level of satisfaction.:)

I'll start... I just booked an appointment with WW Chan, a HK bespoke tailor who's coming to Seattle in March. 2pc suit will range between $1100-$1500 USD depending on fabric and I think shirts are about $150. I've heard excellent reviews about Chan and I'm really looking forward to some new threads:D I'll post reviews after the first and second fitting and final product.

Your turn..

RacePace 02-02-2009 09:08 AM

Online custom shirt company based in Vancouver, apparently they will come to your home or whereever to take your measurements. Never tried it, but would be interesting

http://www.theperfectshirt.ca/

Powerslide 02-23-2009 10:12 PM

Thick as Thieves LA - Jason will do a full MTM suit for around $600 and its fully canvassed. Been thinking of getting one for quite some time, but dont want to deal with shipping it up from the states

Tapioca 02-27-2009 12:42 PM

Anyone know any other tailors in Hong Kong, besides the one micbain mentioned? I'm heading to HK in April for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a new bespoke suit (got a wedding to MC in August.)

micbain 02-27-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6304199)
Anyone know any other tailors in Hong Kong, besides the one micbain mentioned? I'm heading to HK in April for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a new bespoke suit (got a wedding to MC in August.)

I've heard of A-man tailors and Yao tailors which are supposed to be on the same level as Chan. You can also try Maxwell for MTM but maxwell is more of a cheap fix...not very good construction or fit but better than off the rack for $500 for a suit.

beatdownvictim 02-28-2009 08:31 AM

search on styleforum, they have a ton of reviews on HK tailors

Tapioca 04-14-2009 02:17 AM

Bump.

A-Man Hing Cheong is a great place to go if you have a good wad of cash. I was quoted 9500HKD for a standard suit with house Super 130s. For a suit with Super 150s fabric, I was quoted 14000HKD. These prices were a little out of my range, so I settled for another MTM tailor. They can however work under a tight turnaround time, ~2 weeks.

For those interested, A-Man is located in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. They don't have a presence on the web, but you can easily drop in and get measurements done.

Marco911 04-14-2009 05:03 PM

I have an A-Man suit. It's ok, I guess. I pretty much buy off the rack most of the time because they still seem to fit me well with minor alterations.

I just got a pair of my favorite Lanvin trousers duplicated at a tailor called Tai Pan Row in the IFC. They did a great job. I used Loro Piana Super 130 "The Wave" Wool / Silk blend. Tai Pan Row is pretty reasonably priced, and I would think less than WW Chan or A-Man. They have a sale on right now for 20-30% off. Check them out.

micbain 04-18-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 6379740)
I have an A-Man suit. It's ok, I guess. I pretty much buy off the rack most of the time because they still seem to fit me well with minor alterations.

I just got a pair of my favorite Lanvin trousers duplicated at a tailor called Tai Pan Row in the IFC. They did a great job. I used Loro Piana Super 130 "The Wave" Wool / Silk blend. Tai Pan Row is pretty reasonably priced, and I would think less than WW Chan or A-Man. They have a sale on right now for 20-30% off. Check them out.

If suits fit you off the rack like a glove, then bespoke can be slow and cumbersome but for me at 6foot3, 165lbs, it's hard finding a great selection in the 40L, 42L sizings.

The appointment I had with Chan last month went pretty well. The tailor (Patrick) was very knowledgable. Hope this suit comes out well as at $1k it will be 1/2 to 1/3 the price of off the rack.

Tapioca 04-20-2009 04:24 AM

Anyone looking for MTM shirts should try Jantzen Tailor in Hong Kong. A healthy combination of expats and locals use these guys for shirts and at 320HKD/shirt (~55 CAD), you can't beat the prices. People on Style Forum have given these guys a hard time, but as long as you can actually go into the shop and get measured properly, you shirts should be fine.

I dropped in last Friday and picked fabrics for three shirts. I went in for a fitting on Monday and the quality seems to be pretty decent - certainly much better than what you would pick up at a chain store, like Banana Republic. The fabric selection is decent and so are the options (pleats, cuffs, collar, monogram, etc.) These guys are located on Hong Kong Island - MTR Hong Kong Station, exit using the Douglas St. entrance.

For those willing to try their online service, here's their website: http://www.jantzentailor.com/