REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Bespoke/MTM thread

I noticed some interested in this forum regarding MTM/Bespoke suits, shirts, pants, shoes, etc. I think it would be nice to put all the info on one thread including the tailor, prices, results and level of satisfaction.

I'll start... I just booked an appointment with WW Chan, a HK bespoke tailor who's coming to Seattle in March. 2pc suit will range between $1100-$1500 USD depending on fabric and I think shirts are about $150. I've heard excellent reviews about Chan and I'm really looking forward to some new threads I'll post reviews after the first and second fitting and final product.

Your turn..
Advertisement
micbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Online custom shirt company based in Vancouver, apparently they will come to your home or whereever to take your measurements. Never tried it, but would be interesting

http://www.theperfectshirt.ca/
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Thick as Thieves LA - Jason will do a full MTM suit for around $600 and its fully canvassed. Been thinking of getting one for quite some time, but dont want to deal with shipping it up from the states
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Anyone know any other tailors in Hong Kong, besides the one micbain mentioned? I'm heading to HK in April for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a new bespoke suit (got a wedding to MC in August.)
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Anyone know any other tailors in Hong Kong, besides the one micbain mentioned? I'm heading to HK in April for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for a new bespoke suit (got a wedding to MC in August.)
I've heard of A-man tailors and Yao tailors which are supposed to be on the same level as Chan. You can also try Maxwell for MTM but maxwell is more of a cheap fix...not very good construction or fit but better than off the rack for $500 for a suit.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

search on styleforum, they have a ton of reviews on HK tailors

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #7

Bump.

A-Man Hing Cheong is a great place to go if you have a good wad of cash. I was quoted 9500HKD for a standard suit with house Super 130s. For a suit with Super 150s fabric, I was quoted 14000HKD. These prices were a little out of my range, so I settled for another MTM tailor. They can however work under a tight turnaround time, ~2 weeks.

For those interested, A-Man is located in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. They don't have a presence on the web, but you can easily drop in and get measurements done.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I have an A-Man suit. It's ok, I guess. I pretty much buy off the rack most of the time because they still seem to fit me well with minor alterations.

I just got a pair of my favorite Lanvin trousers duplicated at a tailor called Tai Pan Row in the IFC. They did a great job. I used Loro Piana Super 130 "The Wave" Wool / Silk blend. Tai Pan Row is pretty reasonably priced, and I would think less than WW Chan or A-Man. They have a sale on right now for 20-30% off. Check them out.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
I have an A-Man suit. It's ok, I guess. I pretty much buy off the rack most of the time because they still seem to fit me well with minor alterations.

I just got a pair of my favorite Lanvin trousers duplicated at a tailor called Tai Pan Row in the IFC. They did a great job. I used Loro Piana Super 130 "The Wave" Wool / Silk blend. Tai Pan Row is pretty reasonably priced, and I would think less than WW Chan or A-Man. They have a sale on right now for 20-30% off. Check them out.
If suits fit you off the rack like a glove, then bespoke can be slow and cumbersome but for me at 6foot3, 165lbs, it's hard finding a great selection in the 40L, 42L sizings.

The appointment I had with Chan last month went pretty well. The tailor (Patrick) was very knowledgable. Hope this suit comes out well as at $1k it will be 1/2 to 1/3 the price of off the rack.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 AM   #10

Anyone looking for MTM shirts should try Jantzen Tailor in Hong Kong. A healthy combination of expats and locals use these guys for shirts and at 320HKD/shirt (~55 CAD), you can't beat the prices. People on Style Forum have given these guys a hard time, but as long as you can actually go into the shop and get measured properly, you shirts should be fine.

I dropped in last Friday and picked fabrics for three shirts. I went in for a fitting on Monday and the quality seems to be pretty decent - certainly much better than what you would pick up at a chain store, like Banana Republic. The fabric selection is decent and so are the options (pleats, cuffs, collar, monogram, etc.) These guys are located on Hong Kong Island - MTR Hong Kong Station, exit using the Douglas St. entrance.

For those willing to try their online service, here's their website: http://www.jantzentailor.com/