REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Warned for parking in my neighborhood

So someone in my neighborhood put a note on my wiper telling me to not park in that spot again or my car will be towed.

I had an arguement couple years back about someone parking in front of my house and they said it's not against the law or anything.

My car is parked directly across from my house. And the neighborhood is those without signs, just side walks, grass, curb, and street lights.

Am I allowed to park across from my house? Will tow trucks actually come and tow my car if someone calls? If they do tow me, what actions can I take on them?

Cause when I call tow trucks to tow my car at gas stations, they just tow it without checking my registration and ID. But of course I have to be present.

Can someone spare some advice?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i recently purchase a house in east van. and my garage can only hold 2 cars and i have 4. i part those two other cars on the street, some of my neighbors gives me the bad looks when i park infront of their home (not by choice) sometimes i see them put folding chairs to "hold" the spot. no one has said anything to me so far, and i dont care if someone parks infront of my home. i can share!!

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If they aren't the registered owner, I don't think they can just tow your car. However, if you can park in front of your house, then it's better to do so than to piss people off. The person across the street always parks in front of my house and then every morning does a U-turn when they leave to go back the other way. Why don't they do a U-turn when they get home and park in front of their house? Never understood that. Anyways, I don't really care as I park in the garage. I just find it silly.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
If they aren't the registered owner, I don't think they can just tow your car. However, if you can park in front of your house, then it's better to do so than to piss people off. The person across the street always parks in front of my house and then every morning does a U-turn when they leave to go back the other way. Why don't they do a U-turn when they get home and park in front of their house? Never understood that. Anyways, I don't really care as I park in the garage. I just find it silly.
There is like literally no spot to park in front of my house or even on my side of the street so i have to park across from my house. The only other way is parked about 3 - 4 houses down, which i don't see the point in doing because im just gonna get complaints anyways probably and it would seem more unreasonable to park 3 - 4 hours down than across the street.

And i think you mean to park on their side and then do a u turn to my side when they get home?

And yea alot of people on my street put buckets on their spot, it's pissing.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
To answer your question.

No, they cannot do anything like tow your car. The street belongs to the city and anyone can park there. Even if it is a residential signed only street, if you are a resident, you have the right to park anywhere with the designated sign. Seeing as this isn't even the case, you have all the right to park across the street.

If you think your neighbours are going to do vandalize your car or something along those lines, just put a camera infront of your house that can see your car and make sure it has infrared to catch someone if someone does choose to do something.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
racing & tech mod.

It's pretty obvious that the person who left the note is the tenant of the house you parked in front of... Talk to the people in the house that is in front of where you parked, and tell them that it's legal for you to park there, and if anything happens to your car while it's parked there, you will hold them responsible.

In east van, everyone is in a house and think they own the spots in front of their house. Try finding parking in Kits... you park where you can. People in my building sometimes have to park 2 blocks away.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Yep... whoever left a note on your car needs to be informed that they do NOT own the spot on the street in front of their house. It belongs to the city.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #8

I'd like to see them call a tow truck, only to have the tow truck arrive and say they can't tow it and charge them for wasting their time...haha. Like others have said, if it's a legal spot, they can't do anything about it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
There is like literally no spot to park in front of my house or even on my side of the street so i have to park across from my house. The only other way is parked about 3 - 4 houses down, which i don't see the point in doing because im just gonna get complaints anyways probably and it would seem more unreasonable to park 3 - 4 hours down than across the street.

And i think you mean to park on their side and then do a u turn to my side when they get home?

And yea alot of people on my street put buckets on their spot, it's pissing.
I meant that the guy who lives across the street from me always parks in front of my house even though, by doing that, he has to do a U-turn every morning to go to work. Guess after work, he's tired and doesn't want to use any extra time to do the U-turn to park in front of his house.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

lol check my thread..sigh..

http://www.revscene.net/forums/car-g...d-t563292.html

Last edited by skidmark; 02-04-2009 at 08:42 PM.
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

sometimes its good to live in a corner lot.

athough there is a lot of grass to cut, but there are also so many more parking spaces
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Retired Traffic Cop

You may be prohibited from parking in the same place for more than 24 hours by bylaw.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Been there done that. City of Vancouver by-law prohibits a car to be parked in one spot for more than 3 hours. If the home owner calls the city to complain, the city will send a guy down to document the car and then come back 3 hours later to issue the ticket.

As for towing, no unless your car is ticketed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

i've had this problem a couple times and told the neighbours to STFU... http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...t/unsigned.htm

"Three Hour by-law - prohibits non-resident parking in front of any property for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. This by-law is one of several residential parking regulations designed to reduce outside parking pressures."

so you can park where ever you want, but between 8am-6pm, you're only allowed 3hrs, unless you live there...then you can park as long as you want. print up that link and highlight what i bolded for you and slap it on that fools door.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
i've had this problem a couple times and told the neighbours to STFU... http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...t/unsigned.htm

"Three Hour by-law - prohibits non-resident parking in front of any property for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. This by-law is one of several residential parking regulations designed to reduce outside parking pressures."

so you can park where ever you want, but between 8am-6pm, you're only allowed 3hrs, unless you live there...then you can park as long as you want. print up that link and highlight what i bolded for you and slap it on that fools door.
What? So i can only park across from my house for 3 hours between 8am to 6pm?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #16
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
What? So i can only park across from my house for 3 hours between 8am to 6pm?
from what i understand, since you live on that block, the 3hr rule doesnt apply. why dont you contact the parking guys at 604-873-7338 just to make sure.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Circle Stick Square Mod

if you live there, you can park there.

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

If you are the resident of that street, you can park your car anywhere of that block. It's public space.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Exactly what the majority has already said. If you live on the block, there isn't much they can do because you're a resident. However, out of common courtesy, you may want to park elsewhere to avoid disputes with neighbors. I know how it feels on both sides of this argument. I live on a block where 90% (and sometimes 100%) of the residents here park their vehicles on the street. I usually can't even park in front of my own house, because friends of the neighbors will come over and take the spot in front of my house for hours or days in some cases. I also have experienced going to a friend's place and not being able to find a spot for a couple blocks, but hey, you're a visitor right. One night of walking a couple of blocks is alright with me.

I've had a few occassions where I come home late at night to find someone's taken the spot in front of my house and I have to park 1-2 blocks away sometimes (which makes me "not" a resident of that specific block). I find it a unfair in that, I don't have an area in the back to park and when it rains or snows, it's a bitch to trek back home the couple of blocks with bags of groceries in hand. Not to mention, I may get towed parking on a another street because someone else has taken the spot in front of my house.

So, the answer is NO, if you're a resident, they can't do much. If there's a spot a couple of houses away that, that household rarely uses, why not just park there and avoid the confrontation?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

I am not sure about your area but i know here in Langley if you are parked longer than 48 hours in one spot without the vehicle being moved then there is grounds for towing.

This is usualy only known of if another resident calls and says that the vehicle hasn't moved or is a by-law officer notices the vehicle hasn't been moved in a couple days. A not will be left by the by-law officer and you will have 24hours to park the vehicle in another spot just so they know it is being used and not just being parked for days/weeks on end. Park your car about 30ft further down the road and you shouldn't have to worry.
4drviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drviper View Post
I am not sure about your area but i know here in Langley if you are parked longer than 48 hours in one spot without the vehicle being moved then there is grounds for towing.
Not entirely correct.

http://www.city.langley.bc.ca/_pdf/T...NSOLIDATED.pdf

Quote:
E. PARKING CONTROL

13. No person shall park a vehicle on any highway for a continuous period of time exceeding 72 hours. (Amended by Bylaw No. 2551, 2004)
14. No person shall park a vehicle, designated as a motor home, a recreational vehicle or recreational trailer with motive power unit attached on a highway for a period exceeding 24 hours. (Amended by Bylaw No. 2551, 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

Guess all the better if you move it every 48hours then lol

Some people get a little territorial with parking spots sometimes in my area. If they see you move then they are out there within 30secs to get your spot. Then again raod parking is road parking and there is no assigned spots.
4drviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I had the same issue in langley..

I live in a Cult-a-sac and my drive doesnt have any street parking. so i park as close as i can in front of one of the neighbors lawns..

However, i got a note that no one fessed up to..

saying i had to move my junker cars cause they were devaluning the houses in the neighbor hood..

I was drive my one nice skyline, and i had a damaged one parted on my own driveway..

re-fricken-diculous.
CA_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
I live in a Cult-a-sac...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts

I think he meant Cul de sac...

I understand the mistake, it isn't like french is our other national language!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote