REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Best place for Makgeolli/Dongdongju

share the info if you know anywhere else is good.
for those who don't know, makgeolli/dongdongju is the korean milky white brew (not strong enough for me to call it liquor).

I've tried the one in Korea.. and it's SO GOOOD....haven't found anywhere locally that can match it .. yet.. still searching.

Locally I've tried
Ma Dang Coul - ok
E-Hwa - watery
Norbu - watery
Woo Rae Oak - comes in the plastic bottle, not good enough
Pojang Macha - ok
Bok Chi Go Jang Ku Chi Go (북치고 장구치고) on north road - a bit gassy, but the menu selection is good to go with the drink.

anywhere else?
Advertisement

Last edited by tcneo; 02-07-2009 at 12:06 AM.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #2

I've had it at Kim Ga Nae in Richmond.. but I haven't had it anywhere else so I don't really know what to compare it to. I thought it was good though.
bbbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbj View Post
I've had it at Kim Ga Nae in Richmond.. but I haven't had it anywhere else so I don't really know what to compare it to. I thought it was good though.
agreed. i like it but its kind of strange drinking it out of a bowl. i definitely prefer it over sake if i had a choice.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I think the korean restaurant has that drink.. i remember my sister went there to drink something and it looks kind of milky looking? o.o
ilubebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilubebe View Post
I think the korean restaurant has that drink.. i remember my sister went there to drink something and it looks kind of milky looking? o.o
it's is a korean drink.. and not all korean restaurants has it, even if they have it.. taste might be a bit different.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
alcoholic?

how does it taste?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

ok, just googled it.

its like an unfiltered korean rice wine.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #8

it's an acquired taste.. it's pretty good especially if you have the right food to go with it.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

sounds good to me! so where can u get this stuff?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #10

anywhere on my original post, but if you want more variety.. try
Bok Chi Go Jang Ku Chi Go (북치고 장구치고)
it's on north road, on the east (coquitlam) side of the road, tucked between the greek restaurant.. and the supermarket complex (hanareum). It's at the same complex as the rogers store, right in the corner beside the karaoke (noraebang) place.
They have several different flavours of makgeolli in that place
Raspbery/Strawberry
Kiwi
Banana
Original..
of course you can also order soju @ that place.
Recommended if you go with someone who can read korean, their english menu doesn't really list much.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Any recent/new restaurants that carry this?
JunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The place previously mentioned, Bok Chi Go Jang Ku Chi Go (북치고 장구치고) makes the makgeoli for the majority of restaurants around the Vancouver area. Most Korean restaurants thus serve the exact same makgeoli. It will always taste slightly different just due to age/freshness, and how much the makgeoli is shaken/stirred before serving. It comes in giant containers for restaurants which are difficult to pour, so initial pours are often watery, while closer to the end it gets thicker.

Bok Chi Go Jang Ku Chi Go will also sell its makgeoli to customers in 4L jugs for ~$20. Sometimes they will refuse if you don't speak Korean.

About 2 years ago, the BC Liquor Store started importing Jinro Makgeoli in 1L green bottles for $10. I've never seen this makgeoli for sale in Korea, it seems to be repackaged for the Canadian market. Several restaurants around Vancouver now offer this makgeoli, as well as some BC Liquor Stores.

Most recently, I have seen that Midam Cafe on North Road is now selling a newly imported white bottle makgeoli. I have high hopes for this one as it looks similar to one I had in Korea, but I haven't tried it yet. I've been told by several other restaurants that they will soon carry this makgeoli as well.

In terms of taste, I find the standard Vancouver makgeoli to be quite sour. In Korea there are similar ones, but also a significant number of sweeter makgeoli which are more pleasant.

For introducing new friends to makgeoli, try serving them a bowl of it with a splash of Sprite/7-Up in it. Most people unfamiliar with makgeoli find it untasty on their first try. Also, some restaurants offer cocktail makgeoli, which has a fruit mixer or blended fruit in it. Common flavours are banana, yogurt, strawberry, and pina colada. Ones I remember serving this are Base on Robson and Damso on Denman.

If you want an authentic Korean drinking experience (atmosphere, food, and drink), I recommend going to Chungdamahn on Robson and Cardero (behind the 7-11). On Fridays and Saturdays its incredibly busy, dark, and loud, and they serve all the popular Korean drinks and drinking food.

Last edited by jlo mein; 06-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

beware of makgeolli. though strangely weaker tasting then other alcohol, they are known to give you killer hangovers. i can never convince any of my friends to drink it with me due to that lol
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote