REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Road conditions going up Cypress Bowl at this time of the year? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563644-road-conditions-going-up-cypress-bowl-time-year.html)

sonick 02-06-2009 12:36 PM

Road conditions going up Cypress Bowl at this time of the year?

I am planning on going snowboarding tomorrow (saturday) with friends, but couldn't get a ride from anybody so gotta drive myself.

Do you think it's a good idea to drive my Miata? Is there snow on the road up and in the parking lot?

It's currently wearing a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S.

Thanks

Volvo-brickster 02-06-2009 04:25 PM

It will be fine.

death_blossom 02-06-2009 05:02 PM

it depends on the conditions that day. I went up this past Sunday, and it was snowing all day on Cypress. so the road conditions were pretty snowy and whatnot. but if it hasn't snowed up there in the past few days, the roads will be dry. depending on where you park, there could be some ice or snow but it won't be piled very high.

K-Dub 02-06-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6267074)
I am planning on going snowboarding tomorrow (saturday) with friends, but couldn't get a ride from anybody so gotta drive myself.

Do you think it's a good idea to drive my Miata? Is there snow on the road up and in the parking lot?

It's currently wearing a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S.

Thanks

http://www.cypressmountain.com/new_conditions.asp

http://www.cypressmountain.com/contact.html

seriously. a simple call to the mountain to ask about conditions/road conditions would suffice.

and the weather forecast is calling for partly cloudy saturday,so you should be fine.
but other than that, stop being lazy and find out for yourself by going to the source itself.

Philly74 02-07-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dub (Post 6267611)

seriously. a simple call to the mountain to ask about conditions/road conditions would suffice.

and the weather forecast is calling for partly cloudy saturday,so you should be fine.
but other than that, stop being lazy and find out for yourself by going to the source itself.

+1 dont be lazy and think it'll be a good day. Last Sunday i saw a BMW 3 series got stuck going up the hills to Cypress cause of heavy snowing. Cypress offer bus service why dont you look it up as well.

greendb7 02-07-2009 01:51 AM

I've seen Miatas up there on full snowy days so it will be fine.

Volvo-brickster 02-07-2009 08:03 PM

if there is snow on the road, be careful. I mean it.

Last time i went, there was a car in the ditch. On the way down, i nearly went in the ditch

moomooCow 02-07-2009 10:44 PM

Just went up today. NO SNOW AT ALL all the way up to the parking lot. Was kinda disappointed because it would have been my first time up with snowtires + awd. =] Snow on the runs were okay -- a little icy.

racerman88 02-08-2009 07:34 PM

they are doing a good job of keeping the roads clear

v1nce 02-08-2009 08:11 PM

were a lot of good runs closed for those competition races?

sonick 02-09-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dub (Post 6267611)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly74 (Post 6268132)
+1 dont be lazy and think it'll be a good day. Last Sunday i saw a BMW 3 series got stuck going up the hills to Cypress cause of heavy snowing. Cypress offer bus service why dont you look it up as well.

I did check the weather conditions, and they were only relevant to what was on the slopes.

I would call, but I doubt most people's knowledge about cars and driving would know the subtleties int he differences of driving of a FWD car vs RWD car in snow, and the effects of All season vs. All Season M+S vs. Snow tires on powder snow vs. packed snow vs. black ice in a lightweight sportscar vs. 4 door american sedan vs. SUV.

A road drivable by a Honda Accord is not necessarily drivable in a RWD convertible sportscar that weighs 33% less.

Either way, it is moot as I went to Grouse instead as Cypress had a competition going on.

Gh0stRider 02-09-2009 02:57 PM

its fine up there. i noticed some black ice in the hairpin turns thats all.

Philly74 02-09-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6271622)
I did check the weather conditions, and they were only relevant to what was on the slopes.

I would call, but I doubt most people's knowledge about cars and driving would know the subtleties int he differences of driving of a FWD car vs RWD car in snow, and the effects of All season vs. All Season M+S vs. Snow tires on powder snow vs. packed snow vs. black ice in a lightweight sportscar vs. 4 door american sedan vs. SUV.

A road drivable by a Honda Accord is not necessarily drivable in a RWD convertible sportscar that weighs 33% less.

Either way, it is moot as I went to Grouse instead as Cypress had a competition going on.

snowing doesn't just end on the slopes... so if they say it's snowing then the condition going up there will be slippery.
Why would anyone wants to drive a lightweight sport cars in the snow is nuts, especially going up cypress...
People thinks all season tires are better option for the whole year but it's actually misleading people. The compound is too hard in the snow, hence driving in the snow is unpredictable FWD or RWD.

death_blossom 02-10-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly74 (Post 6272258)
Why would anyone wants to drive a lightweight sport cars in the snow is nuts, especially going up cypress...

why? if you are prepared (snowtires) and careful, you can do it. I know I did last Sunday. :)

Sp3cial_K 02-10-2009 12:37 AM

do u guys think an awd car with all seasons will make it up ? i just want to go to the snowshoe area. hollyburn i think ..

sonick 02-10-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philly74 (Post 6272258)
snowing doesn't just end on the slopes... so if they say it's snowing then the condition going up there will be slippery.
People thinks all season tires are better option for the whole year but it's actually misleading people. The compound is too hard in the snow, hence driving in the snow is unpredictable FWD or RWD.

Do you know there's this thing that attaches to trucks that looks like a giant snow shovel, called a PLOW? And do you also know that areas that have less snow cover (i.e. roads) melt FASTER than where there is deep snow cover (i.e. slopes) :eek: Blew your mind, didn't I?

Driving in the snow with All Seasons is less predictable than snow tires, yes, but by no means are they completely undrivable in all snow conditions. If the snow is dry and packed, they do quite well with FWD and AWD. Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable.

Either way, it sounds like the roads up there were clear over the weekend; my friend, also with a miata, went up on Sunday. AWD with all seasons will get you up to Cypress most of the time, except right after a heavy snowfall where they haven't gotten a chance to clear the roads yet.

absolution 02-11-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6273331)
Do you know there's this thing that attaches to trucks that looks like a giant snow shovel, called a PLOW? And do you also know that areas that have less snow cover (i.e. roads) melt FASTER than where there is deep snow cover (i.e. slopes) :eek: Blew your mind, didn't I?

Driving in the snow with All Seasons is less predictable than snow tires, yes, but by no means are they completely undrivable in all snow conditions. If the snow is dry and packed, they do quite well with FWD and AWD. Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable.

Either way, it sounds like the roads up there were clear over the weekend; my friend, also with a miata, went up on Sunday. AWD with all seasons will get you up to Cypress most of the time, except right after a heavy snowfall where they haven't gotten a chance to clear the roads yet.

Didn't you notice a sign saying " 4WD, or vehicle with SNOW tire ONLY!"???!?!

DO not drive up there if you don't meet the requirement. it will just make thing worst. Thank You

Philly74 02-11-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6273331)

yes it really blew my mind that i didn't know those things are called snow plow... I only mention "SLIPPERY" not snowing. When they have snowing on their site, it gave you an idea what the condition on the road will be like

"Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable." Maybe you should go educate that guy in a BMW that got stuck going up cypress two weeks ago when cypress was getting snow.