REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Road conditions going up Cypress Bowl at this time of the year?

I am planning on going snowboarding tomorrow (saturday) with friends, but couldn't get a ride from anybody so gotta drive myself.

Do you think it's a good idea to drive my Miata? Is there snow on the road up and in the parking lot?

It's currently wearing a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S.

Thanks
Advertisement
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
It will be fine.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

it depends on the conditions that day. I went up this past Sunday, and it was snowing all day on Cypress. so the road conditions were pretty snowy and whatnot. but if it hasn't snowed up there in the past few days, the roads will be dry. depending on where you park, there could be some ice or snow but it won't be piled very high.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I am planning on going snowboarding tomorrow (saturday) with friends, but couldn't get a ride from anybody so gotta drive myself.

Do you think it's a good idea to drive my Miata? Is there snow on the road up and in the parking lot?

It's currently wearing a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A M+S.

Thanks
http://www.cypressmountain.com/new_conditions.asp

http://www.cypressmountain.com/contact.html

seriously. a simple call to the mountain to ask about conditions/road conditions would suffice.

and the weather forecast is calling for partly cloudy saturday,so you should be fine.
but other than that, stop being lazy and find out for yourself by going to the source itself.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post

seriously. a simple call to the mountain to ask about conditions/road conditions would suffice.

and the weather forecast is calling for partly cloudy saturday,so you should be fine.
but other than that, stop being lazy and find out for yourself by going to the source itself.
+1 dont be lazy and think it'll be a good day. Last Sunday i saw a BMW 3 series got stuck going up the hills to Cypress cause of heavy snowing. Cypress offer bus service why dont you look it up as well.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I've seen Miatas up there on full snowy days so it will be fine.
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
if there is snow on the road, be careful. I mean it.

Last time i went, there was a car in the ditch. On the way down, i nearly went in the ditch
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Just went up today. NO SNOW AT ALL all the way up to the parking lot. Was kinda disappointed because it would have been my first time up with snowtires + awd. =] Snow on the runs were okay -- a little icy.
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

they are doing a good job of keeping the roads clear
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

were a lot of good runs closed for those competition races?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly74 View Post
+1 dont be lazy and think it'll be a good day. Last Sunday i saw a BMW 3 series got stuck going up the hills to Cypress cause of heavy snowing. Cypress offer bus service why dont you look it up as well.
I did check the weather conditions, and they were only relevant to what was on the slopes.

I would call, but I doubt most people's knowledge about cars and driving would know the subtleties int he differences of driving of a FWD car vs RWD car in snow, and the effects of All season vs. All Season M+S vs. Snow tires on powder snow vs. packed snow vs. black ice in a lightweight sportscar vs. 4 door american sedan vs. SUV.

A road drivable by a Honda Accord is not necessarily drivable in a RWD convertible sportscar that weighs 33% less.

Either way, it is moot as I went to Grouse instead as Cypress had a competition going on.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
its fine up there. i noticed some black ice in the hairpin turns thats all.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
I did check the weather conditions, and they were only relevant to what was on the slopes.

I would call, but I doubt most people's knowledge about cars and driving would know the subtleties int he differences of driving of a FWD car vs RWD car in snow, and the effects of All season vs. All Season M+S vs. Snow tires on powder snow vs. packed snow vs. black ice in a lightweight sportscar vs. 4 door american sedan vs. SUV.

A road drivable by a Honda Accord is not necessarily drivable in a RWD convertible sportscar that weighs 33% less.

Either way, it is moot as I went to Grouse instead as Cypress had a competition going on.
snowing doesn't just end on the slopes... so if they say it's snowing then the condition going up there will be slippery.
Why would anyone wants to drive a lightweight sport cars in the snow is nuts, especially going up cypress...
People thinks all season tires are better option for the whole year but it's actually misleading people. The compound is too hard in the snow, hence driving in the snow is unpredictable FWD or RWD.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Why would anyone wants to drive a lightweight sport cars in the snow is nuts, especially going up cypress...
why? if you are prepared (snowtires) and careful, you can do it. I know I did last Sunday.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

do u guys think an awd car with all seasons will make it up ? i just want to go to the snowshoe area. hollyburn i think ..
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #16

Quote:
snowing doesn't just end on the slopes... so if they say it's snowing then the condition going up there will be slippery.
People thinks all season tires are better option for the whole year but it's actually misleading people. The compound is too hard in the snow, hence driving in the snow is unpredictable FWD or RWD.
Do you know there's this thing that attaches to trucks that looks like a giant snow shovel, called a PLOW? And do you also know that areas that have less snow cover (i.e. roads) melt FASTER than where there is deep snow cover (i.e. slopes) Blew your mind, didn't I?

Driving in the snow with All Seasons is less predictable than snow tires, yes, but by no means are they completely undrivable in all snow conditions. If the snow is dry and packed, they do quite well with FWD and AWD. Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable.

Either way, it sounds like the roads up there were clear over the weekend; my friend, also with a miata, went up on Sunday. AWD with all seasons will get you up to Cypress most of the time, except right after a heavy snowfall where they haven't gotten a chance to clear the roads yet.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Do you know there's this thing that attaches to trucks that looks like a giant snow shovel, called a PLOW? And do you also know that areas that have less snow cover (i.e. roads) melt FASTER than where there is deep snow cover (i.e. slopes) Blew your mind, didn't I?

Driving in the snow with All Seasons is less predictable than snow tires, yes, but by no means are they completely undrivable in all snow conditions. If the snow is dry and packed, they do quite well with FWD and AWD. Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable.

Either way, it sounds like the roads up there were clear over the weekend; my friend, also with a miata, went up on Sunday. AWD with all seasons will get you up to Cypress most of the time, except right after a heavy snowfall where they haven't gotten a chance to clear the roads yet.
Didn't you notice a sign saying " 4WD, or vehicle with SNOW tire ONLY!"???!?!

DO not drive up there if you don't meet the requirement. it will just make thing worst. Thank You
absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:

yes it really blew my mind that i didn't know those things are called snow plow... I only mention "SLIPPERY" not snowing. When they have snowing on their site, it gave you an idea what the condition on the road will be like

"Even with RWD if you go slow enough and can control the throttle well enough, is drivable." Maybe you should go educate that guy in a BMW that got stuck going up cypress two weeks ago when cypress was getting snow.