REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

STI vs EVO X

i noticed tons of STIs on the road but i rarely spot an evo.... Whats the reason people are choosing STIs over the evos ?

Which car is more reliable if not modded ? and which one is cheaper to mainten and run ?

thanx
Advertisement
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

It depends which "version" of the STi's and EVOs you are comparing. Canada had only just received the Lancer Evolution last year, where we have had the STi since 2004.

From what I've seen, I see more EVO X compared to the hatchback STi's.

As for reliability, it's been proven that the ej20/ej25 in the STi's are very reliable. The EVO X uses a brand new engine (4B11), so long term reliability is unknown at this point. However, the aftermarket tuners are pushing pretty big numbers out of the engine already. So this could be an indication that the EVO X will be just as reliable as its 4G63 powered predecessors.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

So far, for the Evo X, there is absolutely no problem with the engine as far as daily driving goes, there are more problem with the transmission as they go pretty quick, around 11k to 20k. The SST so far proves to be fairly reliable. surprising. There are no reports of breaking from excessive power nor under track or normal driving. The only thing is that the SST overheats easily during heavy track sessions, however, people has installed a fan on the cooler and it stopped over heating.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

i would choose evo x just because of the aggressive front end
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
the sti has a more refind ride when compared to the evo, and for the price ur paying, the sti has a better interior than the evo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

They are both good.

i sure wouldn't be complaining if i get to have either one of them.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
They are both good.

i sure wouldn't be complaining if i get to have either one of them.
+1
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchaser View Post
i noticed tons of STIs on the road but i rarely spot an evo.... Whats the reason people are choosing STIs over the evos ?

Which car is more reliable if not modded ? and which one is cheaper to mainten and run ?

thanx
i like the look of the evox better.the sawc system is outstanding. both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended. evox comes with advan tires which will last maybe 15k. warranty on both are great im sure. the evo and sti are not your average cars. you do need money to own one.
elyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^
They are one of the most reliable sport cars around. Don't worry about it too much. STI is more reliable than EVOX though.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

test drive both to see which one you like the best
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyk View Post
both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended.
uhh no they're not. wtf r u talking about.
Quote:
Quote:
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
uhh no they're not. wtf r u talking about.
I was refuring to things like tires (dont last), brembo pads (dont last), 2 piece rotors, clutch is weak and dealer maintance and inspections, fluids. IMO thats expensive.
elyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
there are tones of sti's on the road because its been available for longer than the evo.

you will see more evo's on the road now since the changed the import laws for the front bumper.

this means a lot of the older evo's from the states can be imported. evo X was the first evo that was allowed into canada with the old laws...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
I was refuring to things like tires (dont last), brembo pads (dont last), 2 piece rotors, clutch is weak and dealer maintance and inspections, fluids. IMO thats expensive.
ok sure, tires dont last as long as other kinds, but if u dont drive like an ass it can last, same with the brakes, if u know how to use them, they can last. clutch is not weak, i dont see how u think it's weak, mine has 56K KM on it and it's still going strong. and as for dealer maintence, u can do everything urself and save ATLEAST HALF the cost.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I have a perception that Subaru is a higher quality product than Mitsu. True or not, I'm sure that many people have that same perception.

And to those basing reliability solely on engine longevity; if the car built around a power plant falls apart, then engine reliability means little.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it

Subaru is far better quality then mitsubishi, the 6sp tranny in the STI's are solid. Overall subaru will last you far more many years as being a well rounded AWD car then the EVO will be. I love EVO's for their appearence and performance, its true the EVO will respond better to mods and be quicker in different areas but just like the STI the motors can only handle so much stock. The biggest issue with STI motors is the event of a ringland cracking, there have been recalls and stop of sales and motors and blocks have been replaced under warranty because subaru reconizes their mistakes unlike mistubishi. Another thing is many new 08-09 STI's have been given a bad factory tune, which leads to motors being blown. All these issues are fixed by cobb tunes or other company tunes that take the factory map and make it way safer and more driveable so your motor is safe.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
I STILL don't get it

Oh ya the STI is $10,000 cheaper then the evo....add a downpipe and tune and your making a evo cry, add some sways+tires and a good alignment and your driving a car that will keep up with $100,000 cars.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

auto = teh ghey
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
i like the look of the evox better.the sawc system is outstanding. both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended. evox comes with advan tires which will last maybe 15k. warranty on both are great im sure. the evo and sti are not your average cars. you do need money to own one.
i wouldn't call them expensive to maintain, but have you seen the tires on the GD STIs those didnt' last.

although i'm not sure about the newer ones.

personally i think i'd rather have Lancer Evolution X GSR

i sat in a EVO x and i just loved it.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #20

I see a lot of Evos here...hehe
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

sweet pic. i love the look of the evo's the new sti's just loook to plain
mc604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govenator View Post
Oh ya the STI is $10,000 cheaper then the evo....add a downpipe and tune and your making a evo cry, add some sways+tires and a good alignment and your driving a car that will keep up with $100,000 cars.
MSRP for STI is 39k while GSR starts at 41k..not 10k difference. You are obviously uninformed at how well the Evo X also responds to mod, so I will stop there.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^
Not really, it's known for Evo X's new dual clutch to fuck up when you tune it, it's too weak to handle any more power. Manual is a different story though. both solid looking cars, two different styles.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc604 View Post
sweet pic. i love the look of the evo's the new sti's just loook to plain
Not plain. Stealth
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post

I see a lot of Evos here...hehe
oh so that was you guys..

I didn't know there was an Evo meet there, drove up to take some pictures and my friend asked : " why are all the cars there almost identical?".

decent weather for photoshoot and nice rides!
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote