REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   STI vs EVO X (https://www.revscene.net/forums/563689-sti-vs-evo-x.html)

windchaser 02-06-2009 07:07 PM

STI vs EVO X

i noticed tons of STIs on the road but i rarely spot an evo.... Whats the reason people are choosing STIs over the evos ?

Which car is more reliable if not modded ? and which one is cheaper to mainten and run ?

thanx

death_blossom 02-06-2009 07:58 PM

It depends which "version" of the STi's and EVOs you are comparing. Canada had only just received the Lancer Evolution last year, where we have had the STi since 2004.

From what I've seen, I see more EVO X compared to the hatchback STi's.

As for reliability, it's been proven that the ej20/ej25 in the STi's are very reliable. The EVO X uses a brand new engine (4B11), so long term reliability is unknown at this point. However, the aftermarket tuners are pushing pretty big numbers out of the engine already. So this could be an indication that the EVO X will be just as reliable as its 4G63 powered predecessors.

Jackygor 02-06-2009 08:44 PM

So far, for the Evo X, there is absolutely no problem with the engine as far as daily driving goes, there are more problem with the transmission as they go pretty quick, around 11k to 20k. The SST so far proves to be fairly reliable. surprising. There are no reports of breaking from excessive power nor under track or normal driving. The only thing is that the SST overheats easily during heavy track sessions, however, people has installed a fan on the cooler and it stopped over heating.

alex.w *// 02-07-2009 12:48 AM

i would choose evo x just because of the aggressive front end

TOPEC 02-07-2009 01:09 AM

the sti has a more refind ride when compared to the evo, and for the price ur paying, the sti has a better interior than the evo.

orange7 02-07-2009 05:06 AM

They are both good.

i sure wouldn't be complaining if i get to have either one of them.

k20a 02-07-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6268191)
They are both good.

i sure wouldn't be complaining if i get to have either one of them.

+1

elyk 02-07-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windchaser (Post 6267663)
i noticed tons of STIs on the road but i rarely spot an evo.... Whats the reason people are choosing STIs over the evos ?

Which car is more reliable if not modded ? and which one is cheaper to mainten and run ?

thanx

i like the look of the evox better.the sawc system is outstanding. both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended. evox comes with advan tires which will last maybe 15k. warranty on both are great im sure. the evo and sti are not your average cars. you do need money to own one.

fetched 02-07-2009 10:48 AM

^
They are one of the most reliable sport cars around. Don't worry about it too much. STI is more reliable than EVOX though.

racerman88 02-07-2009 11:16 AM

test drive both to see which one you like the best

TOPEC 02-07-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elyk (Post 6268362)
both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended.

uhh no they're not. wtf r u talking about.

elyk 02-07-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6268533)
uhh no they're not. wtf r u talking about.

I was refuring to things like tires (dont last), brembo pads (dont last), 2 piece rotors, clutch is weak and dealer maintance and inspections, fluids. IMO thats expensive.

!SG 02-07-2009 04:52 PM

there are tones of sti's on the road because its been available for longer than the evo.

you will see more evo's on the road now since the changed the import laws for the front bumper.

this means a lot of the older evo's from the states can be imported. evo X was the first evo that was allowed into canada with the old laws...

TOPEC 02-07-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elyk (Post 6268668)
I was refuring to things like tires (dont last), brembo pads (dont last), 2 piece rotors, clutch is weak and dealer maintance and inspections, fluids. IMO thats expensive.

ok sure, tires dont last as long as other kinds, but if u dont drive like an ass it can last, same with the brakes, if u know how to use them, they can last. clutch is not weak, i dont see how u think it's weak, mine has 56K KM on it and it's still going strong. and as for dealer maintence, u can do everything urself and save ATLEAST HALF the cost.

Mancini 02-07-2009 06:11 PM

I have a perception that Subaru is a higher quality product than Mitsu. True or not, I'm sure that many people have that same perception.

And to those basing reliability solely on engine longevity; if the car built around a power plant falls apart, then engine reliability means little.

Govenator 02-07-2009 09:26 PM

Subaru is far better quality then mitsubishi, the 6sp tranny in the STI's are solid. Overall subaru will last you far more many years as being a well rounded AWD car then the EVO will be. I love EVO's for their appearence and performance, its true the EVO will respond better to mods and be quicker in different areas but just like the STI the motors can only handle so much stock. The biggest issue with STI motors is the event of a ringland cracking, there have been recalls and stop of sales and motors and blocks have been replaced under warranty because subaru reconizes their mistakes unlike mistubishi. Another thing is many new 08-09 STI's have been given a bad factory tune, which leads to motors being blown. All these issues are fixed by cobb tunes or other company tunes that take the factory map and make it way safer and more driveable so your motor is safe.

Govenator 02-07-2009 09:29 PM

Oh ya the STI is $10,000 cheaper then the evo....add a downpipe and tune and your making a evo cry, add some sways+tires and a good alignment and your driving a car that will keep up with $100,000 cars.

2damaxmr2 02-07-2009 09:48 PM

auto = teh ghey

Leopold Stotch 02-07-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elyk (Post 6268362)
i like the look of the evox better.the sawc system is outstanding. both would be expensive to maintain, and i would do everything that is recommended. evox comes with advan tires which will last maybe 15k. warranty on both are great im sure. the evo and sti are not your average cars. you do need money to own one.

i wouldn't call them expensive to maintain, but have you seen the tires on the GD STIs those didnt' last.

although i'm not sure about the newer ones.

personally i think i'd rather have Lancer Evolution X GSR

i sat in a EVO x and i just loved it.

Jackygor 02-08-2009 01:09 AM

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92.../aIMG_1355.jpg

I see a lot of Evos here...hehe

mc604 02-08-2009 01:13 AM

sweet pic. i love the look of the evo's the new sti's just loook to plain

Jackygor 02-08-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govenator (Post 6269230)
Oh ya the STI is $10,000 cheaper then the evo....add a downpipe and tune and your making a evo cry, add some sways+tires and a good alignment and your driving a car that will keep up with $100,000 cars.

MSRP for STI is 39k while GSR starts at 41k..not 10k difference. You are obviously uninformed at how well the Evo X also responds to mod, so I will stop there. :)

fetched 02-08-2009 02:19 AM

^
Not really, it's known for Evo X's new dual clutch to fuck up when you tune it, it's too weak to handle any more power. Manual is a different story though. both solid looking cars, two different styles.

Mancini 02-08-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc604 (Post 6269605)
sweet pic. i love the look of the evo's the new sti's just loook to plain

Not plain. Stealth :thumbsup:

?NR 02-08-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackygor (Post 6269599)

oh so that was you guys..

I didn't know there was an Evo meet there, drove up to take some pictures and my friend asked : " why are all the cars there almost identical?".

:lol decent weather for photoshoot and nice rides!