REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Dealer maintenance on '06 Civic sedan

Hi my car is currently at around 54000km and the maintenance minder is suggesting a B1 service (oil change, tire rotation, brake service.. etc), and the dealer also told me I will need to change my p/s fluid . The total cost for the service is suppose to come out to around $290ish.

Does anyone know if my warranty will be voided if I take my car to a non-dealer shop? Because I think $290 for a service seems rather expensive for a civic, and they are not doing anything special anyways. Also will the independent shop be able to reset the Maintenance minder? Any suggestions on where to take the car for service?

Thanks in advance for any answers~
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

You have a FD and think 290.00 is expensive? It's just that that was my initial reaction to someone who already knows how expensive a FD is to maintain.
revin-Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

reseting the maintenence minder is the easiest thing.. read your manual, or...

turn key to on/or have car running..
press the reset button until u see the oil life
press and hold that same button for 10secs or so until u see the oil life start flashing
let go of the button and press again and hold for another 5 seconds.. it should be back to 100%
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

i think you should read the diy section on 8thcivics.com and do it yourself.
it will save you a lot of money and you can learn something about your car too.
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the answers regarding how to reset the maintenance minder~ My real questions is really about whether or not doing my own servicing (or go to a non-dealer shop) would void my warranty. As I am recently getting a CEL on the civic, and I don't want them to have any excuse to void my warranty.

and this is not about servicing my FD~ it is about my DD Civic~ The more money I can save on the civic means more money for the FD And I also think it is expensive because I had a Mazda3 and regular maintenance only cost around $60....
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

labour alone on a b1 is $150+/-, p/s service is another $5-60 of labour. so thats already $200 in labour.. well those are my rough calculations of $103/hour labour at the honda i work at. add in parts, misc shop charges, taxes, etc..
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
How I Mod your mother

I'm not sure how Honda is, but at Nissan they told me that every other service is the cheaper one.

My car has a little less than 10k on it now, but my 5k service cost me about $57, my 10k service cost me $190

I'd say its not too expensive. I always look at it like this, if I take it to the dealer and something goes wrong, they can't pin anything on me. However if I were to take it elsewhere for service and something goes wrong they can use it against me
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I'd say its not too expensive. I always look at it like this, if I take it to the dealer and something goes wrong, they can't pin anything on me. However if I were to take it elsewhere for service and something goes wrong they can use it against me
everyone always has this pre-concieved notion about maintenance is always better done at the stealership in case something goes wrong.

find a trusted independant mechanic who charges a fraction of what stealerships do and have them do the work if you don't want to do it yourself

keep the reciepts, and should something fail and the dealer is an ass, show them the paperwork and tell them to pound salt.

$200+ for "inspections" is ludicrous and lucrative
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
private modder

Thanked 2,644 Times in 738 Posts
No, getting maintenance done somewhere else will not void your warranty. Just make sure you keep records.

However, it's true that if you generally have a long service history with a particular dealership, they will usually be a bit easier to deal with when it comes to having problems fixed under your warranty.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

I never took my cars to the dealer for service. As long as the shop stamps your book and documents it, you are ok. I did this even when I was leasing my rsx and it was ok.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm not sure how Honda is, but at Nissan they told me that every other service is the cheaper one.

My car has a little less than 10k on it now, but my 5k service cost me about $57, my 10k service cost me $190

o, the nissan i work at goes by 6k intervals..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #12

Thanks for answering my questions~ I will make sure I keep all the records.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-Jo View Post
Thanks for the answers regarding how to reset the maintenance minder~ My real questions is really about whether or not doing my own servicing (or go to a non-dealer shop) would void my warranty. As I am recently getting a CEL on the civic, and I don't want them to have any excuse to void my warranty.

and this is not about servicing my FD~ it is about my DD Civic~ The more money I can save on the civic means more money for the FD And I also think it is expensive because I had a Mazda3 and regular maintenance only cost around $60....
Void warranty, no. But if you have a CEL I would pull the code and see what triggered it and fix it (if necessary).
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #14

i actually had the dealer fix the CEL once, but it came back the next day
Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #15

if its been fixed by the dealer, go back and complain that the light came back on.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
you
Banned (BBM)

^^+1 then ask for freebies after
you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you are plenty to keep the car (ie not lease).. then it makes sense to build a relationship with the service department.. ie get to know a service adviser via visiting them regularly. If crap happens (eg tranny going, which the civic generation is known for).. then the regular "extra" you pay to the dealership for service will pay off enormously. Because they will view you as a regular customer and stand up for you.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^ civic tranny being a known problem? lawl.

all i will say on this subject is, you get what you pay for. dealer serviced cars sell for more, last longer, and perform better the whole life of the car, you didnt buy a $23 000 plus car to service it like you would a kia
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote