REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #1776
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
the way i think of it is... buy higher end stuff and keep it for many many years... rather then buying low end gear having to upgrade later on.
thing is, higher end doesn't really mean longer lasting. they are better in quality in terms of performance and comfort, but I don't think they last that much longer.
Advertisement
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #1777
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I just need the comfort that's all I care about, who cares how I look
Posted via RS Mobile

That's the goalie's job! LOLOL.

Spidey: As far as durability goes with high end gear.....As a goalie I know that pro gear almost always outlasts entry level or advanced senior gear. Primarily because of the materials used on the pads/gloves/blockers.

Same with masks - prices will indicate a lot of times, the material used, padding, durability, etc. The more kevlar/carbon they use in the masks, the higher the price usually.

Last edited by BallPeenHammer2; 06-11-2013 at 07:53 AM.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1778
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Yeah, that's goalie gear which is subject to constant abuse. Pro gear is made with higher quality materials, to a higher QC standard, and most certainly last longer and plays better

Player gear, I'm of the you don't get what you pay for mentality. As long as its comfortable, that's the key. A $50 set of shin pads will work about the same as a $150 pair, and in my experience they last about as long. I don't need NHL level protection when the guys I play against shoot at half the speed of NHL players on a good day
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #1779
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
That's the goalie's job! LOLOL.

Spidey: As far as durability goes with high end gear.....As a goalie I know that pro gear almost always outlasts entry level or advanced senior gear. Primarily because of the materials used on the pads/gloves/blockers.

Same with masks - prices will indicate a lot of times, the material used, padding, durability, etc. The more kevlar/carbon they use in the masks, the higher the price usually.
pro gear is different than "top of the line" retail gear though. most pro players don't even wear anything close to retail.. cosmetically they just look the same, as they are walking (skating) advertisements
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #1780

It depends on the piece of gear. An entry level composite stick will last longer than a top of the line model because of it's construction. The top end sticks are designed for performance (like a high end sports car) while the cheaper sticks are made with less exotic materials but can still get the job done (your everyday beater car.)
Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
pro gear is different than "top of the line" retail gear though. most pro players don't even wear anything close to retail.. cosmetically they just look the same, as they are walking (skating) advertisements

I don't know much about player gear, so I don't think I should comment about them. All I know is that the complexities of player equipment compared to goaltending gear is hugely different, simply because of the inherent needs and differences of the positions.

For GOALIE gear though, there is DEFINITELY a HUGE difference between entry senior, advanced senior, pro, and custom level equipment.

There are a lot of adjustments, fabrics, materials and features that each of these levels have and do not have, with custom level equipment being exactly what the pros use - Custom.
Mind you, the pros have to adhere to strict league regulations regarding sizing and add-ons. For example: The side board and thumb protection area of a blocker MUST be sewn in to the main glove and cannot be removable from blocker or cuff. So goalies can't un-velcro it and have it flap around to cheat with it.

Pro level equipment is usually the level where most adjustments, core inserts, material used are top of the line. But still made en mass. The sizing and equipment specs are NHL spec though (more on that later).

Custom equipment simply takes that pro level gear and allows the buyer to customize everything down to the buckles. Such as colour, face material, toe tie methods, internal material, knee breaks, knee lock position, leg channel, inside toe taper, etc. Different materials used will also dictate durability as well (synleather, jenpro, robocop, real leather, cordura, etc)

I have a chest protector that was made to almost the exact spec of a specific NHL goaltender that I requested from the manufacturer directly.

I do know quite a few people who use variations of these said levels of equipment and I can absolutely confirm that entry senior and pro level equipment weardowns are much different.

I myself have had equipment wear issues between upper and lower level gear on my goalie pads.

For goalie equipment, they all LOOK the same. But internally, much different between classes. Mostly so people with different budgets and skill levels can take advantage of it =)
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #1782
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
I don't know much about player gear, so I don't think I should comment about them. All I know is that the complexities of player equipment compared to goaltending gear is hugely different, simply because of the inherent needs and differences of the positions.

For GOALIE gear though, there is DEFINITELY a HUGE difference between entry senior, advanced senior, pro, and custom level equipment.

There are a lot of adjustments, fabrics, materials and features that each of these levels have and do not have, with custom level equipment being exactly what the pros use - Custom.
Mind you, the pros have to adhere to strict league regulations regarding sizing and add-ons. For example: The side board and thumb protection area of a blocker MUST be sewn in to the main glove and cannot be removable from blocker or cuff. So goalies can't un-velcro it and have it flap around to cheat with it.

Pro level equipment is usually the level where most adjustments, core inserts, material used are top of the line. But still made en mass. The sizing and equipment specs are NHL spec though (more on that later).

Custom equipment simply takes that pro level gear and allows the buyer to customize everything down to the buckles. Such as colour, face material, toe tie methods, internal material, knee breaks, knee lock position, leg channel, inside toe taper, etc. Different materials used will also dictate durability as well (synleather, jenpro, robocop, real leather, cordura, etc)

I have a chest protector that was made to almost the exact spec of a specific NHL goaltender that I requested from the manufacturer directly.

I do know quite a few people who use variations of these said levels of equipment and I can absolutely confirm that entry senior and pro level equipment weardowns are much different.

I myself have had equipment wear issues between upper and lower level gear on my goalie pads.

For goalie equipment, they all LOOK the same. But internally, much different between classes. Mostly so people with different budgets and skill levels can take advantage of it =)
what you said in those paragraphs is basically what i said in a sentence, isn't it?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #1783
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i just buy used high end gear...pay the price of low end but get high end, used abit but meh nothing a good wash cant take off
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1784

Quote:
what you said in those paragraphs is basically what i said in a sentence, isn't it?
I think I misunderstood what your sentence meant then =p

I grouped the custom level gear together with retail level. PLus, I thought you were speaking strictly on player gear, which I know very little about.

My bad!

LOL
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #1785
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

rs2 stick or apx?
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1786
My homepage has been set to RS

I'd go APX.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #1787

I like APX more because the corners are rounded.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #1788
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I like my nexus better than my previous apx. Softer puck feel on the blade and through the shaft.
Posted via RS Mobile
pharmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #1789
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
What do you guys use for wax on your sticks? I have always used Parowax that I buy at the grocery store. It's in the canning section and works fricken awesome and dirt cheap!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #1790
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
sex wax!!
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #1791
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

the sex
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #1792

Sex Wax as well for me.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #1793
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
What do you guys use for wax on your sticks? I have always used Parowax that I buy at the grocery store. It's in the canning section and works fricken awesome and dirt cheap!!
snap wax by a mile.. Hard to find as I think the only local place that has it is the 8 rinks pro shop. I ordered a bunch online. I tried Sex wax and don't like how it still gets hard when it gets cold.

but it is very sticky and tacky.. so unless you want something smooth, maybe stick with regular wax/sex wax. with this stuff though, it makes doing lacrosse like tricks a sinch

Snap Wax Hockey Stick Wax - Clear | Total Hockey Equipment
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #1794
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

What do you guys think of the retail s19, especially the durability of the blade? Saw it on sale at SC. Still using a Bauer x60 and going strong after 1.5 yrs 1 game per week but always wanted to try the s19 in the proper curve and flex. Will the blade crap out on me after a season or two?
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #1795
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
snap wax by a mile.. Hard to find as I think the only local place that has it is the 8 rinks pro shop. I ordered a bunch online. I tried Sex wax and don't like how it still gets hard when it gets cold.

but it is very sticky and tacky.. so unless you want something smooth, maybe stick with regular wax/sex wax. with this stuff though, it makes doing lacrosse like tricks a sinch

Snap Wax Hockey Stick Wax - Clear | Total Hockey Equipment
I remember using that stuff 20 years ago lol
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #1796

The blades on S19's aren't the greatest, that's for sure. I had about 3 S19's and all the blades split on me. The stick performed well though, especially for shooting, and I quite liked it overall. The last one I had was under warranty and I ended up getting a Mako for it ha. But yeah, for a low enough price I would probably pick one up.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #1797
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I didn't have a blade problem with my S19. maybe got a bit soft like all blades over time but never cracked on me..maybe because it cracked around the "S19" on the taper from a one timer before the blade was able to break haha. this was over a year worth of use. Great stick overall!
pinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #1798
RS Veteran

easton sticks are great..... if you are a pro and can afford one every game... I am still in awe that they are still in business when they make such fragile sticks for the retail market. Their most durable sticks were the si core, and the original silver synergys. Everything else broke wayyy too easily. Stick to Bauer if you want durability and are choosing between easton and bauer.

Base has been the most durable stick I have ever used. Have yet to break one on ice yet. I have broken 2 blades on roller, but that is inevitable with roller.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1799
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

thanks for the s19 responses. I hate having to buy new sticks often when the blade turns into a sponge. Guess I'll stick to the bauers for now
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #1800

Just got back from the Canucks Equipment sale which was quite good if you were looking for twigs. They had a wide assortment of new and used sticks, new sticks from $75-200 and used from $50-75.

Picked myself a new 90 flex CCM RBZ, Ballard curve (Sakic, basically) for $75. Good stuff!

Last edited by kristianhay; 06-15-2013 at 09:51 AM.
kristianhay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: