REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #26
racing & tech mod.

The salesperson makes money on the difference between invoice and sale price.

Unless the manufacturer is giving out spiffs (bonus pay) for selling a lease or finance, it doesn't make any difference to the salesman.

The big advantage to leasing for a salesperson, is you get the chance to sell another vehicle to the person after 3 years. You can imagine a salesman who's been on the business for 10+ years, every month they have X amount of lease returns, many of which they can turn into another sale..
Advertisement
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I personally believe who ever leased a plus 50grand car in the past 2 years has won, because i know several 2 year luxury cars are worth 50-75% less. You win if you paid less than 50%
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I still don't like how rigid leases are. When you lease is up, you have to make a decision on whether to lease a new car orget rid of it or wuever. Basically forcing you to make a decision even if the deals r super crappy. Financing will allow you to take ur time and plan slowly on how you wanna proceed. If money is tight, keep the car for a year or 2 longer.

I agree that leasing is living beyond ur mean. And seriously, those rates mean jack. With all those fees taken into account, the REAL interest rate is much higher than wut they claim to be.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Leasing works best for me. I put lots of mileage on domestic trucks which depreciate fairly quickly. Instead of buying it I do 2 or 3 year leases. This way the vehicle is pretty much maintenance free besides oil changes, brake and tires. I get rid of them before the mileage is stupid high and I'm never driving a vehicle more then 3 years old. My company also writes it off.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #30
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I still don't like how rigid leases are. When you lease is up, you have to make a decision on whether to lease a new car orget rid of it or wuever. Basically forcing you to make a decision even if the deals r super crappy. Financing will allow you to take ur time and plan slowly on how you wanna proceed. If money is tight, keep the car for a year or 2 longer.

I agree that leasing is living beyond ur mean. And seriously, those rates mean jack. With all those fees taken into account, the REAL interest rate is much higher than wut they claim to be.
You actually have MORE choices when you lease than if you finance. You also know when your lease is going to be up, so you have time to look around and see what's out there before your lease is up. You can also extend your lease with most companies by a few months if you absoulutely need to, you just pay the extra depreciation. If money is tight, you can get into a cheaper car when the lease is up.. but if you're financing, you are forced to keep paying the same (higher) monthly payment unless you sell it, at which point you will take a huge loss on depreciation. You actually have LESS choices if you finance.

Also, the rate is what the rate is, nobody can charge you a "fake" rate. What does happen is that the marketing department has $XXXX that they can play with, and either they can give you $XXXX off the price, or give $XXXX to the credit branch to reduce the interest rate, or some combo of that. That is always changing, but usually the monthly payment is pretty much the same.

And honestly, most people wouldn't know a good deal if it slapped them across the face and said: "I'm a GOOD DEAL, BITCH!"

I've seen people pay $6000 over invoice and they were the happiest customers in the world, and then I've seen customers buy a car for well UNDER invoice and still think they were getting ripped off.

A "good deal" is all about perception.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #31
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
One of my friends leased a Charger SRT-8 just before Chrysler dropped the leasing late and his payments came out to almost $900/month (with tax). It sounded like a good deal for a $50,000+ car but the problem now is the car, like all Chrysler products, have dropped so much in value that he could have went out and financed the same car with a lower monthly payment.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #32
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
maybe they don't want to keep the car for long

for me, even if i had the money, i would not pay 50k straight cash for a BMW all at once.
i'd rather lease it because 1. i will have more choices in a few years when my lease is over, 2. i can spend that other 40k elsewhere investing, 3. if i ever sell the car within 5 years, i am going to get a big dep hit
leasing a bmw for say 3/4 years, is not only gonna be 10k, typically on a lease i'd say ur paying for half the car on a 4 year lease including the downpayment
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

here's a question... if the car gets into a bad accident i.e. greater than $2000 worth... if it's fixed, would the company care at the time of lease return as long as everything's fixed?

Because if they don't, I see this as a plus for leasing, since if this car were financed, that big accident would surely drop the price of the car if you were to try to sell it... but if you could just return it, the accident would not affect you at all...

so the thing is, would that accident or multiple accidents matter on a lease return?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_the? View Post
here's a question... if the car gets into a bad accident i.e. greater than $2000 worth... if it's fixed, would the company care at the time of lease return as long as everything's fixed?

Because if they don't, I see this as a plus for leasing, since if this car were financed, that big accident would surely drop the price of the car if you were to try to sell it... but if you could just return it, the accident would not affect you at all...

so the thing is, would that accident or multiple accidents matter on a lease return?
Nope, they don't care as long as the car has been fixed.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #35
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
One of my friends leased a Charger SRT-8 just before Chrysler dropped the leasing late and his payments came out to almost $900/month (with tax). It sounded like a good deal for a $50,000+ car but the problem now is the car, like all Chrysler products, have dropped so much in value that he could have went out and financed the same car with a lower monthly payment.
thats why its only smart to lease cars with high residual
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #36
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
thats why its only smart to lease cars with high residual
Yes and no. You want the residual to be as high as possible, but that's not the only consideration. If the lease rate is well over 10%, then that might cancel out the nice high residual. You have to look at the whole picture.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #37
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
Nope, they don't care as long as the car has been fixed.
Really? The residual must plumet though. Doesn't that affect the resale value? The dealership would have to declare it.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

if this is true indeed, then that's a huge plus for leasing

i've known people who've owned their cars for like less than 6 months only to have it go through an accident which would totally drop the car's residual value

that part works well then
Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #39

I'm sure it hurts the resale value but that's one reason why most people stay away from lease returns because you have no idea how the cars been driven. And I've been leasing for years now and the last 3 cars I've returned had some sort of claim on it and I've never had a issue with the leasing company. My brother had a leased out 2003 325i a few years back which had almost $10,000 worth of claims on it when he returned it and BMW never asked one question when the car was returned. As long as the damage has been repaired the leasing company will not say anything.

The whole claims or the car been a lemon is the reason why I listed "- Don't have to worry about getting stuck with a lemon or trying to sell a car that's been in an accident or has a big ass ICBC claim" as one of the pros about leasing.