REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   EK9 rear brake problem? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565461-ek9-rear-brake-problem.html)

spoon.ek9 02-20-2009 11:06 PM

EK9 rear brake problem?

Hi guys,

This problem has been nagging me for a very long time now. There is a rattling sound coming from the rear of my car.

The reason I think its a brake problem is because when i'm driving the rattling noise can be stopped by pressing on the brakes. Also, if I lift the ebrake a few notches, the sound will stop also (this is also while driving). The sound will immediately start again if I step off the brakes or let the ebrake down. The sound comes and goes which makes diagnosing the problem annoying.

My pads and rotors were changed in summer to brand new ones. Powerslot rotors and OEM Integra LS rear brake pads. Yes, this is rear disc conversion.

So far, no one has bothered to investigate the problem or simply has no time to do it. I was wondering what you guys think. =)

My next guess is to replace the rear calipers and hope for the best >_<

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Alphamale 02-22-2009 12:04 PM

I don't think your calipers are at fault. No one on the internet can diagnose this problem for you because no one can hear it.

However, since you mentioned that you did a rear brake conversion, perhaps something is loose and rattling. When you step on the brakes, pressure/stress is applied throughout the system stopping anything loose from shaking. Once you release the brakes, the system is relaxed and things can shake again. Have you tried looking to see if there's anything loose? Perhaps just re-torque everything while you're at it.

spoon.ek9 02-22-2009 01:20 PM

Thanks for that Alpha,

I read on another forum that it could be a worn out bushing, but to me thats pure speculation. The brake conversion actually came with the car when I bought it and that was almost 2 years ago now. I did notice that when I had the rear pads replaced, the noise stopped for about a month and then started up again. As far as I can tell, everything is tightened up properly, but I will double check that.

Anyone else have a thought they'd like to share with me? =)

!oHenry 02-22-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 6294373)
I don't think your calipers are at fault. No one on the internet can diagnose this problem for you because no one can hear it.

However, since you mentioned that you did a rear brake conversion, perhaps something is loose and rattling. When you step on the brakes, pressure/stress is applied throughout the system stopping anything loose from shaking. Once you release the brakes, the system is relaxed and things can shake again. Have you tried looking to see if there's anything loose? Perhaps just re-torque everything while you're at it.

I agree with alpha, most likely a loose washer/nut or something. Check the actual pads itself. Maybe the backing plate is loose or the pad was installed incorrectly.

spoon.ek9 02-22-2009 10:56 PM

i forgot to mention, if this helps at all, its a clack-clack-clack type of noise. increases in frequency with speed.

my buddy is a mechanic at honda and drives an EM1 SIR, i'm QUITE sure he knew what he was doing ^_^