REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,389 Posts
EK9 rear brake problem?

Hi guys,

This problem has been nagging me for a very long time now. There is a rattling sound coming from the rear of my car.

The reason I think its a brake problem is because when i'm driving the rattling noise can be stopped by pressing on the brakes. Also, if I lift the ebrake a few notches, the sound will stop also (this is also while driving). The sound will immediately start again if I step off the brakes or let the ebrake down. The sound comes and goes which makes diagnosing the problem annoying.

My pads and rotors were changed in summer to brand new ones. Powerslot rotors and OEM Integra LS rear brake pads. Yes, this is rear disc conversion.

So far, no one has bothered to investigate the problem or simply has no time to do it. I was wondering what you guys think. =)

My next guess is to replace the rear calipers and hope for the best >_<

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Advertisement
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
I don't think your calipers are at fault. No one on the internet can diagnose this problem for you because no one can hear it.

However, since you mentioned that you did a rear brake conversion, perhaps something is loose and rattling. When you step on the brakes, pressure/stress is applied throughout the system stopping anything loose from shaking. Once you release the brakes, the system is relaxed and things can shake again. Have you tried looking to see if there's anything loose? Perhaps just re-torque everything while you're at it.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanks for that Alpha,

I read on another forum that it could be a worn out bushing, but to me thats pure speculation. The brake conversion actually came with the car when I bought it and that was almost 2 years ago now. I did notice that when I had the rear pads replaced, the noise stopped for about a month and then started up again. As far as I can tell, everything is tightened up properly, but I will double check that.

Anyone else have a thought they'd like to share with me? =)
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
2 Wheel'd Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I don't think your calipers are at fault. No one on the internet can diagnose this problem for you because no one can hear it.

However, since you mentioned that you did a rear brake conversion, perhaps something is loose and rattling. When you step on the brakes, pressure/stress is applied throughout the system stopping anything loose from shaking. Once you release the brakes, the system is relaxed and things can shake again. Have you tried looking to see if there's anything loose? Perhaps just re-torque everything while you're at it.
I agree with alpha, most likely a loose washer/nut or something. Check the actual pads itself. Maybe the backing plate is loose or the pad was installed incorrectly.
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

i forgot to mention, if this helps at all, its a clack-clack-clack type of noise. increases in frequency with speed.

my buddy is a mechanic at honda and drives an EM1 SIR, i'm QUITE sure he knew what he was doing ^_^