REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Teeth grinding at night (https://www.revscene.net/forums/565512-teeth-grinding-night.html)

Mr.HappySilp 02-21-2009 02:35 PM

Teeth grinding at night

Ok so my mom have been telling me at night when I sleep I would grind my teeth really hard and loud. It is so scary that she though my teeth would come off @@(I sleep with my room door open)

Anyways sometimes even when I get up in the morning I would feel my jaw is sore or my teeth is in pain.....

I do know I don't drink a lot of water9maybe 2o to 4 cups a day inculding coffee, pop soup....) Just wondering is it coz the lack of water I am having is causing this or is more of an issue with the body where I have to go to the doctor?

twitchyzero 02-21-2009 03:23 PM

can you see grinding marks (like worn out edges) on your front teeth?

what's happening is called bruxism. it's usually caused by stress.

see a dentist and look into buying a night-guard and wear it when you go to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruxism

S1 S2 02-21-2009 04:15 PM

I had that before and still have it rarely nowadays. If u ask the dentist, they can make a mold for u and u wear it when u sleep so u won't hurt your teeth.

Mr.HappySilp 02-21-2009 04:30 PM

Thx! Is strange though coz I don't have much stress.... at least I don't think I do. I got a decent job and make decent money.

Can sleeping pattern cause this as well? I sometime sleep with the computer on or I would use the computer till I actually sleep at night. Sometimes I would only get around 4 to 5 hourse of sleep a night.

S1 S2 02-21-2009 04:34 PM

The dentist told me is probably stress. But to me I think it was a bad habit.

R8 02-21-2009 04:49 PM

It doesn't have to be related to stress. I barely have any stress and my dentist/orthodontist said that I am slowly showing signs of worn out teeth. My brother has this too when he sleeps (its pretty loud and scary). The orthodontist said that I could ask my dentist to make a mold of my teeth and make some kind of plastic/rubber guard for my teeth so it won't grind.

teaoh 02-21-2009 04:50 PM

best thing for you is to go to your dentist and have them make you a night guard. You wear it at night to prevent your teeth from grinding.

moussy 02-21-2009 06:57 PM

yeah... like what everyone is saying get a mouth guard...

grinding -> loss of teeth enamel -> prone to tooth decay

XtC_13aBy 02-25-2009 09:57 AM

Usually, teeth grinding is related to stress or anxiety. If this isn't the case, it may be due to anything that disrupts your sleep. It is suggested that you should avoid foods and drinks that include caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee to decrease the chances of teeth grinding. Consult with your dentist to prevent complications by creating a mouth guard to wear at night.

BabyblooLexus 02-25-2009 10:02 AM

^- yea a reason is definately cuz of stress. i always grind my teeth when i have like midterms and shit. a mouth guard does the trick, ask ure dentist

unit 02-25-2009 12:54 PM

chill off the drugs.

cdizzle_996 02-25-2009 01:20 PM

I have the same problem, get a night-guard.

JSALES 02-25-2009 01:33 PM

my dentist gave me a guard to wear at sleep at night even though i didn't think i really needed it since my jaw was only sore for a while

quasi 02-25-2009 03:04 PM

As someone who has fucked his teeth up from grinding over the years get a night guard and use it! I had a guard made up when I was in highschool but I never used the damm thing. Over the years I've had others made and used them once in a while. The last couple years I've been wearing it almost every night but now it's to little to late.

If your a grinder and either ignore the dentists warning to wear one because it's uncomfortable at first or feel you don't need it you'll be sorry. Long term effects for me have been excessive wear to the point where at 30 my dentist told me I had the wear of a 55 year old. I've had multiple root canals and crowns because of it. It's cost me lots of money and will cost me lots more over the next bunch of years.

I hate to sound like I'm lecturing but as someone who totally regrets not taking better care of his teeth early on I hope people can get informed. Take the time and measures to protect yourself and save money and avoid pain in the long term.

threezero 02-25-2009 07:29 PM

weird, my ex grinds her teeth when she sleeps, and i just notice that my dog does too. can't be because of stress, what kind of stress would a dog have?

cdizzle_996 02-25-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 6301174)
weird, my ex grinds her teeth when she sleeps, and i just notice that my dog does too. can't be because of stress, what kind of stress would a dog have?

I Lol'd.

SkinnyPupp 02-25-2009 07:46 PM

It's not always because of stress. You can buy mouthguards that protect your teeth. It is important to do this if you grind your teeth, otherwise they will wear down and even crack.

My wife's dentist said that she has a few cracks in her teeth, and said that Chinese people are particularly prone to this because they tend to have weaker teeth. Even light bruxism can crack weaker teeth (I never noticed that she grinds her teeth)

SlySi 03-17-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 6300687)
As someone who has fucked his teeth up from grinding over the years get a night guard and use it! I had a guard made up when I was in highschool but I never used the damm thing. Over the years I've had others made and used them once in a while. The last couple years I've been wearing it almost every night but now it's to little to late.

If your a grinder and either ignore the dentists warning to wear one because it's uncomfortable at first or feel you don't need it you'll be sorry. Long term effects for me have been excessive wear to the point where at 30 my dentist told me I had the wear of a 55 year old. I've had multiple root canals and crowns because of it. It's cost me lots of money and will cost me lots more over the next bunch of years.

I hate to sound like I'm lecturing but as someone who totally regrets not taking better care of his teeth early on I hope people can get informed. Take the time and measures to protect yourself and save money and avoid pain in the long term.

If you are grinding your teeth.
Get a night gaurd and use it.
You will forever regret it if you dont take this serious.

Quasi... Same problem with me.
Grinded the fk out of my teeth.. and now its pretty bad..
You arent lecturing, its the absolute truth.

Although stress "can" be related.
It may not be the case.

Get it looked at, checked out, and wear the mouth gaurd.

Harvey Specter 03-19-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Type R B0i (Post 6293239)
I had that before and still have it rarely nowadays. If u ask the dentist, they can make a mold for u and u wear it when u sleep so u won't hurt your teeth.

Yes, mold is the best option if you have a good dental plan.

I had a grinding problem a few years ago, my dentist made a mold but I never wore it. A couple years passed and one day I'm biting into an apple and my front tooth chipped. The reason was because I was grinding my front teeth so much that it caused tiny cracks in the front two teeth. My grinding has stopped now but don't delay in getting it checked out.

Gnomes 03-19-2009 04:38 PM

Not sure if this is works or not but when sleeping, try to position yourself so that your molars dont touch in relaxed form. For me, I notice when my molars touch, i will automatically crunch my teeth without thinking.

S1 S2 03-19-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri (Post 6337169)
Yes, mold is the best option if you have a good dental plan.

I had a grinding problem a few years ago, my dentist made a mold but I never wore it. A couple years passed and one day I'm biting into an apple and my front tooth chipped. The reason was because I was grinding my front teeth so much that it caused tiny cracks in the front two teeth. My grinding has stopped now but don't delay in getting it checked out.

I think I will put them back on now lol...

miss_crayon 03-24-2009 01:11 PM

also, with the constant grinding your teeth is gonna be sensitive you're gonna have a hard time eating cold/hot foods. when i drink or eat cold things now, i have to take little sips/bites or only eat it on the right side of my mouth cause the left side is so effed.

toothpastes like sensodyne help relieve symptoms, but it doesn't cure the pain forever.

q0192837465 03-24-2009 01:37 PM

i grind my teeth too. I should make a mold now. My dentist warned me many times but I always shrug it off.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time! 03-25-2009 10:01 PM

grinding other than stress, can also be due to the alignment of your teeth. just wanted to point that out.

m!chael 05-16-2009 02:44 PM