REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
I don't get it

Can you get a 3 month suspension even if you are not the driver?

Hey guys

Before i start this is happening to a friend, not me

2 of my friends were leaving Roxy 3 weeks ago. One of them is serving a suspension for a DUI, the other has a clean record but has her N, so naturally she was the one who drove there. The driver ended up having a few drinks, and due to her N rules, did not want to drive. She then handed her keys to her friend who had her license suspended. About 3 blocks away they get pulled over. The one who was driving and did not have her license got a ticket (obviously), and the other person got a 24-hour ticket (even though she was a passenger). She noticed on her 24 hour ticket that it was marked as a driver, even though she was not. She asked the police-man and he said not to worry about it, it won't affect her at all. About 3 days later she got a notice in the mail saying she has been suspended for 3-months due to her 24 hour ticket she recieved. Is that right? Can you get a 24 hour ticket even though you are not the driver and then get suspended because of it?
Advertisement

1993 Audi S4- minty
cs_729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Wtf I don't understand what your friend (that WASN'T DRIVING) got ticketed for? What is a 24-hour ticket? A 24-hours suspension ticket? When she wasn't driving in the first place? Dispute that shit.
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Banned (BBM)

sounds fishy.
Fleemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

passenger probably got 24 hour because, although she wasnt driving, she was capable of driving and the police didnt want that happening..... just like how cop can issue a 24 hour prohibition for having keys to a car while drunk... the 3 month suspension sounds not right though....
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
So your friend knowingly gave keys to someone who has a suspension for a DUI?

That doesn't sound fishy at all. I mean, if I go out, I'm sure to have drinks as the DD and give my keys to my buddy who's on his suspension. Who doesn't?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Not knowing if your suspended driver was an L, or required supervision by any conditions on her DL,....but if supervision was required then the impaired passenger/owner who was in the vehicle could have deemed to have had "care & control" and that may be why the 215 was issued.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

The 3 days seems a little on the fast side as well.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
I don't get it

Again, yes i know it probably wasn't the smartest idea to give her keys to a friend who is suspended from driving, I'm not here to try to justify that that was the correct choice here guys, so just relax. What im inquiring is how the 3 month suspension is warranted when she wasn't even the driver

TYPO: 3 weeks later, not 3 days... sorry

1993 Audi S4- minty
cs_729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
The "You'd Know" Moderator

What class of license did the driver hold?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

There's probably a few paragraphs worth of content and pretext that you're leaving out, me thinks.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Maybe we could save everyone a lot of cybertime if the person issued the 215 contacted the Police who issued it and asked that very question? In reading your post I see that you were not with them? If you were not there you may not be in posession of all the facts. Maybe there was some driver switching or maybe the 215 subject actually was driving but made it to the passenger seat by the time the Cops stopped them? Sometime people do not tell the truth, just their version of it. As none of us here was actually there all we are doing is speculating based on 3rd party information.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-23-2009 at 07:42 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote