REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Honda Swaps - reliability

I know it's nothing new, but I'm seeing a lot of older Hondas with swapped engine for sale (E.g. H22 Civics, B18C CRXs, Turbo'd D16 CRX etc.)

How is the reliability? I mean, it's one thing to swap the motor, and even the tranny, but what about driveshafts, suspension tuning, etc?

Can they be daily drivable?

I love the idea of a light (eg CRX) car with a relatively big motor for not much money, but it sometimes sounds too good to be true.

Any experience/recommendations?
Advertisement
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
dunno. i see a lot of "only 60k kms low mileage!!!!" jdm junkyard motors being dropped into 10-15 year old high mileage cars in someone's backyard with minimal refurbishing or rebuilding... spaghetti wiring hack jobs, etc... you get the idea.

might have aircare issues for some swaps as well, depending on what was done.

bring it to a repuatable shop and get the work checked/tested before dropping a wad of $$$ for it.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

it really comes down to "who did the swap".
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^
that.

It all comes down to who did the swap. I've seen some reputable local shops with a bad swaps. It all runs to drives with no problem, but when it comes to troubleshooting the car when it dies, it'll be a pain in the ass.
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

An NA swap (H22 etc.) will be the most reliable as a daily driver. A turbo/NOS/Supercharged swap would need a built motor and you would want to know the complete build history for reliability. If the work is done right with quality parts your good to go. If the work is done on the cheap without attention to detail then expect to do work to keep it running. Like the others have suggested get an inspection on anything you are looking at to purchase (money well spent). I drive an Accord with an H22 swap as a daily driver with zero problems. Did the swap myself and if you didn't know the engine didn't come with the car you would not be able to tell it was a swap (again attention to detail). I know another accord with a built H22 trubo that is daily driven without problems. The owner spent time and installed quality parts to make it so. Don't shy away from a swapped Honda. Do you homework before purchase not after.
ex-r-wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaro View Post
^
that.

It all comes down to who did the swap. I've seen some reputable local shops with a bad swaps. It all runs to drives with no problem, but when it comes to troubleshooting the car when it dies, it'll be a pain in the ass.
LOL? Are you talking from experience?
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-r-wagon View Post
An NA swap (H22 etc.) will be the most reliable as a daily driver. A turbo/NOS/Supercharged swap would need a built motor and you would want to know the complete build history for reliability. If the work is done right with quality parts your good to go. If the work is done on the cheap without attention to detail then expect to do work to keep it running. Like the others have suggested get an inspection on anything you are looking at to purchase (money well spent). I drive an Accord with an H22 swap as a daily driver with zero problems. Did the swap myself and if you didn't know the engine didn't come with the car you would not be able to tell it was a swap (again attention to detail). I know another accord with a built H22 trubo that is daily driven without problems. The owner spent time and installed quality parts to make it so. Don't shy away from a swapped Honda. Do you homework before purchase not after.
Any shops to recommend to examine a swap? A lot of people have a long parts list, but that doesn't seem to mean much to me.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Why'd you do that for?

since the most common are on civics...i recommend EvoGarage...
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
JMO
Need to Seek Professional Help

^yes, or Garage 5
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

^
hmm if you look carefully into Garage5 swaps they're not exactly perfect and clean. Evogarage does all wiring/connections in oem specs. If you're trying to get a swap done and running, I would go to Garage5. I would recommend Evogarage to people who love their cars and wants to saves headache in the long one. It's more money but you get what you paid for.
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ david at evo garage is such a mastermind at honda's haha
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
I bringith the lowerballerith

Kevin in Evolution. A friend of mine have his prelude turbo'ed and built engine done by him. Good guy with reasonable price.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote