REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
TDCRacing's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 375
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bouncing Cheque

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the MVA but I had a question. I was givin a cheque by a tenant who has since moved out. The cheque has been returned and says the account was closed. I have left messages with the tenant asking them to call me and that it was important and they are completly ignoring me. I thought it was a mistake at first but now I think it was intentional so that they could stay the last month without having to pay. Is it possible this is cheque fraud? Should I be contacting the RCMP? I have no idea what my options are.
TDCRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
CRS's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Contact the RCMP and see what they can do. Typically people will cough up the money if they think the police are involved. If the RCMP won't do anything, take it to small claims. As long as you have proof of the monthly rent and the cheque that bounced, the judge will award you the money.
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
6793026's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC, HK, USA
Posts: 5,733
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts
it's tough. there's only a few things you can do.
1) call them, leave them a message that they didn't pay their rent for the last month. tell them you have kept a record and they forgo their damage deposit.
2) tell them you want to resolve this without going to small claims court.
3) you need their new address so you can serve them documents.
4) once you go to small claims court, u'll most likely win. HOWEVER, it's the next step that's hard. a) you need to garnish their accout b) their salary.

u don't have their new accout info. so unless you're well connected like me, you won't be able to find out any details from their current bank accout. (you also need their FULL name)
if you want to garish their salary, you'll need to know his banking / salary schedule before you can garish.

i have 2000 that i need to collect from tenant, but .. meh.. it's a lost cause since he's unemployed.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the SPECIAL OLYMPICS.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shaugnessy
Posts: 2,610
Thanked 480 Times in 167 Posts
hopefully some of you RS'ers will turn a blind eye to this post but I say take the law into your own hands.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop
skidmark's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Be careful of what you say if you manage to contact them. If you exchange the cheque for their promise to pay you have effectively extended them credit. Best to get some legal advice on this from someone familiar with the civil law involved.
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
If you can prove that they knowing gave you the check without having the funds/that it would bounce, there are legal implications/charges that can result. Frauds are generally difficult and lengthy/time consuming files. Contact legal counsel with experience in civil matters such as this, and contact your local police detachment to start a file and see if they're able to do anything on their end.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
I don't like cheese but I love milk!
Ferra's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Van
Posts: 1,914
Thanked 835 Times in 219 Posts
I believe writing a cheque AFTER they closed the account is consider fraud..and the police will do something about it.

On the other hand, if the chq bounces (NSF), then the police won't do anything about it, cause this is considered more like a credit issue.
Ferra is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of