REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

start at 11 p.m...other times are good too but the price movements are way to slow for me

what about you?
Advertisement
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I meant do you use 5 min charts/ 15 min charts/ 1 hour charts/ etc....

but as far as trades go I mostly start around 11 pm as well.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #28

oh sorry, yeah I usually use 15 min charts sometimes 5 min when I'm looking for less then 20 pips profit
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #29

how many lots?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #30

2-3 of 10k units on oanda

how much leverage are you doing? I'm thinking of moving up to 1:100 now
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #31

^i don't think oanda has 1:100 i have 1:50
Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #32

thought i'd update this thread with three huge things I learned...

1) money management is HUGE

2) stop losses are a must

3) scalping is VERY DIFFICULT (I have switched over to using 4 hour/daily/weekly time frames)

Down 8000 for now. Hopefully will break it even one of these days LOL. EU seems to be the best pair to trade for beginners like myself. It seems to trend more then others and isn't as volatile as some other pairs.

I like using very basic indicators 50% level on fibs, trendlines, and most importantly try to go with the trend! Hardest part is when the market starts to range quite a bit. A few ppl have contacted me through PM over the past few months that I posted this thread. Forex is a VERY difficult business. The leverage will kill you (thats why I say money management is a must), but if your good at it or are willing to take the time and effort to get good at it the rewards are there. I haven't been paying as much attention to the market as I should. When news comes out the 100-150 pip move up just to come to the original spot within an hour is just horrible. It'll take out all the stops and have you wondering what the hell just happened. I missed a few excellent trades for EU in the last few days because I went to sleep and lost some motivation but after a small break I'm ready to go at it again.

this isn't about me getting rich off of trading. I have always had an interest in various markets (futures and forex mostly) but I never really planned on doing this full time until I heard that 95% of the people out there that try to trade forex FAIL. I always love a challenge so here I am

Edit: for those that want to know about using Oanda as my broker...the spreads are low, executions are fast, can be accessed from any computer and blackberry/iphone compatible, slippage isn't too bad. overall for canadians its easily the best broker to go with.

Last edited by ws6ta; 07-07-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

ouch lol..

before diving in, you COULD work on your system with fake money first. Get your batting avg to be respectable and your execution to be consistent before using real dough.

Metrics:
# of winning trades/# of losing trades
$ Gain/Loss per trade

Any new ideas, try them out and refine them in the game first.

Just my 2c.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
ouch lol..

before diving in, you COULD work on your system with fake money first. Get your batting avg to be respectable and your execution to be consistent before using real dough.

Metrics:
# of winning trades/# of losing trades
$ Gain/Loss per trade

Any new ideas, try them out and refine them in the game first.

Just my 2c.
i demo traded for 3 months. i turned a 100k demo account into almost 180k. the switch from demo to real money is a bitch!! plus when i was demoing the EU was trending and making everyone money now everyone is getting their ass handed to them because its stuck in a range.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #35

fuck this shit is hard LOL

be careful boys and consider everything you invest lost when u begin otherwise you will cry!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #36
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

what currency pairs you trade the most ws6ta?
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #37

eur/usd
gbp/usd
usd/cad
aud/usd
usd/jpy
gbp/jpy
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #38
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
thought i'd update this thread with three huge things I learned...

1) money management is HUGE

2) stop losses are a must

3) scalping is VERY DIFFICULT (I have switched over to using 4 hour/daily/weekly time frames)

Down 8000 for now. Hopefully will break it even one of these days LOL. EU seems to be the best pair to trade for beginners like myself. It seems to trend more then others and isn't as volatile as some other pairs.

I like using very basic indicators 50% level on fibs, trendlines, and most importantly try to go with the trend! Hardest part is when the market starts to range quite a bit. A few ppl have contacted me through PM over the past few months that I posted this thread. Forex is a VERY difficult business. The leverage will kill you (thats why I say money management is a must), but if your good at it or are willing to take the time and effort to get good at it the rewards are there. I haven't been paying as much attention to the market as I should. When news comes out the 100-150 pip move up just to come to the original spot within an hour is just horrible. It'll take out all the stops and have you wondering what the hell just happened. I missed a few excellent trades for EU in the last few days because I went to sleep and lost some motivation but after a small break I'm ready to go at it again.

this isn't about me getting rich off of trading. I have always had an interest in various markets (futures and forex mostly) but I never really planned on doing this full time until I heard that 95% of the people out there that try to trade forex FAIL. I always love a challenge so here I am

Edit: for those that want to know about using Oanda as my broker...the spreads are low, executions are fast, can be accessed from any computer and blackberry/iphone compatible, slippage isn't too bad. overall for canadians its easily the best broker to go with.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/stock...highlight=meet

this woulda been for you man! you need to paper trade and get a good system going before u dip any more money in this man.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
http://www.revscene.net/forums/stock...highlight=meet

this woulda been for you man! you need to paper trade and get a good system going before u dip any more money in this man.
lol i know but unless I use real money i never take his shit seriously. its too easy to make money on demo when 10-15k swings mean nothing.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
what currency pairs you trade the most ws6ta?
if u ask me, i would only trade 1 currency pair, maximum 2 currency pairs and thats it. Take that one currency pair and literally fuck it till you love it. I tried trading several pairs together but you just lose the flow of it and personally it was way too hard for me to fully understand more then 1 currency pair at a time. Not to mention you lose a shitload of money.

Right now im trading nothing but EUR/USD and as a practice i go back a couple months on the graphs and look at each candlestick and try to predict what will happen in the next candlestick and check what actually did happen, trust me if you do that for enough candlesticks you learn and see the pattern.

Also do A LOT of research. No matter how much research you think you've done, it's never gonna be enough. Keep researching and keep practicing and testing your trading system. With enough hard work and dedication you'll eventually land on something.

Good luck and remember, just like any other profession, its FUCKING HARD to make money trading FOREX.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #41
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

im using FXCM , and globeFX ... mostly Eur/usd and aud/usd
!SCEPTER300R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #42

anyone out there doing this? I miss forex
Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 AM   #43

becoming a professional trader is one of the hardest professions out there make no mistake about it. PRACTICE/DEMO TRADE for about 6 months before you put real money on the line. this shit will make you cry FAST if you do not know what you are doing. I'm thinking about the audemars piguet I could have gotten LOL. anyways its tough to not just give up on this. I've been at it for almost 8-9 months now. I'm not giving up yet though. I will try for another 3-4 months to see if I can get a better grasp on things.

vandriver check ur pm
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #44
I STILL don't get it

I use fxpro, on 200 leverage right now. Just trading 0.1 lots ($10,000).
I see making money in forex as easier than equities at times, since there are more "strategy guides" lying around... hehehe. But in the end its still up to your emotions and discipline.
kaitamasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #45
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
ws6 interesting info. It is a lot like gambing where you shouldn't put up anything you can't afford to lose.

Which site did you use to do the demo at? I'd like to get into it. I follow currencies like a hawk on xe.com want to learn how to trade on Forex.

Thanks
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #46

been a while since anyone posted in this thread. any updates? new techniques? anything?

I got screwed over on friday because I completely forgot it was the first
friday of the month and non-farm payroll data comes out on the first
friday of each month!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #47
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Can someone please explain how non-farm payroll affects forex?

TIA
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #48

Basically its the day the monthly report of employment in the U.S comes out.
(first friday of the month)
From the data it tells you if unemployment increased or decreased.
Usually its a good idea not trade when its coming out because of the high volatility
of the prices. It comes down to if you like trading in a volatile market or not. Personally,
I try not to and usually turn off my computer thursday then turn it back on sunday night but it comes down to what kind of trader you are.

I'd say it's one of the best non-chart indicators out there and its basically the only
news I wait for because I think everything else you can tell from the charts because
technical analysis (charts) reflect fundamental analysis (news reports).

For more information on it you can read up on it here:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...t.asp?viewed=1

Cheers
Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #49

no one digging forex anymore? LOL
Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #50
Rs has made me the man i am today!

not the way you do...
I just buy and hold.....low risk low return....
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote