REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
tokyo - need help

I have no idea which district I should stay in tokyo. Price isn't an issue as each district has a hostel or a ryokan but I'm bewildered on the size of tokyo.

Which would be the most central area to stay in that is close to hotels?
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I have no idea which district I should stay in tokyo. Price isn't an issue as each district has a hostel or a ryokan but I'm bewildered on the size of tokyo.

Shibuya - It's a couple train stations from Shinjuku and a few more for Ropponggi. It's pretty close to a lot other districts like Ginza, Harajuku, etc.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:

What a question ... it really depends on what kinda traveler you are.
Shopper -> Shinjuku / Shibuya
Cultural Tourist -> Any of the older rundown districts (Ueno etc)
Bling -> Ginza / near Tokyo Station

I stayed at Shinjuku twice, but now I realize that the next time I wanna stay at somewhere like Ueno or Asakusa ... somewhere authentically Tokyo that would feel different compared to other Japanese cities.
rouentahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts
I stayed at the Sakura Hostel in Asakusa. The district is much more traditional and laid-back than Shibuya and Shinjuku, and has a magical charm to it when you're wandering around it early morning stumbling back from partying in the latter neighbourhoods. All in all I would recommend the hostel.

http://www.sakura-hostel.co.jp/

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 02-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
I don't get it

i stayed at westin tokyo (in the ebisu area) just last week.

its a really nice neighbourhood and only a stop away from shibuya. i went all over the place in tokyo, and i definitely found the location convenient.

i also stayed in ikebukuro before, its not so central, but its still a very lively area.
Minata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
I wrote a guide on how to find a Ryokan in Japan. You should read it. And keep in mind that you don't necessarily want to stay in the area that you'll be spending your days at visiting. In Tokyo, those are generally the most expensive places to stay.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

I've decided to sleep in a hostel. I'm only bringing 3 grand with me to asia... hopefully its enough for vietnam and I'm gone for 3 1/2 weeks :O
Old 03-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #8

Be sure to share your Vietnam experiences here, I'll be going this fall
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Shibuya is a very central location--major shopping district in Tokyo.

Shinjuku is another area you might want to consider--business/shopping district

Depending on where you stay and your familiarity with the train system in Tokyo, you can hit up a lot of other popular districts that are minutes away by using the the JR Yamanote Line.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
I've decided to sleep in a hostel. I'm only bringing 3 grand with me to asia... hopefully its enough for vietnam and I'm gone for 3 1/2 weeks :O
definately go with Sakura Hostel, it's one of the best hostels i've stayed in.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Be sure to share your Vietnam experiences here, I'll be going this fall
I will.

Vietnam will be all hotels though, since its about 20 dollars a nice in a decent hotel.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

if you wanna get laid, dont stay in hostels. there are some cheap hotels in shinjuku. just stay within the circle subway line (yamanote line). i made a mistake and stayed at minami-senju..which is like the ghetto of tokyo and u have to switch train to get to the main areas.
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #13

Quote:
I will.

Vietnam will be all hotels though, since its about 20 dollars a nice in a decent hotel.
That's fine, I can't stand hostels anyway. Plus I get a nice discount at Starwood hotels through my sister in law (that includes Sheraton, Westin, W, etc)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
if you wanna get laid, dont stay in hostels. there are some cheap hotels in shinjuku. just stay within the circle subway line (yamanote line). i made a mistake and stayed at minami-senju..which is like the ghetto of tokyo and u have to switch train to get to the main areas.
i'm abstinant so I'm not really worried
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Question number two, I'm in vietnam for 3 weeks. Is 1500-3000 enough?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #16
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The ryokan that SkinnyPupp was at was actually rather nice. I wouldn't mind staying there myself even if it is a little out of the way. I remember the train to get there was a bitch and we couldn't find the damn place for awhile, mostly because the roads didn't make any sense.

I plan on going to Vietnam myself. In fact, I plan on doing the Top Gear motorcycle trip and I expect 4 grand, including a used bike and plane ticket should be enough. I think living there will be wicked cheap.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #17
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
No one gets laid at home. THAT'S WHAT LOVE HOTELS ARE FOR.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #18
...in the world.

How long are you going to be in Tokyo? I lived near Shibuya for three months and my rent was about $1100 a month. If you're going to be there for a month or more, definitely look into renting an actual apartment.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The ryokan that SkinnyPupp was at was actually rather nice. I wouldn't mind staying there myself even if it is a little out of the way. I remember the train to get there was a bitch and we couldn't find the damn place for awhile, mostly because the roads didn't make any sense.

I plan on going to Vietnam myself. In fact, I plan on doing the Top Gear motorcycle trip and I expect 4 grand, including a used bike and plane ticket should be enough. I think living there will be wicked cheap.
if you have never ridden a bike in your life you will die.

guaranteed. I had a hard time in greece and there are wayyyyyyyy less bikes on the road.

I'm in tokyo for 4 days.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
It wasn't THAT far out of the way. Within walking distance of the Tokyo Dome! I just hated trekking up that hill every day in the hot, humid weather.

It was a really nice place, I will definitely go back. Maybe not in the summer though. And they even gave me a toenail clipper as a souvenir!