REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Is the Coastline the "101" hwy? I've heard that it's really steep hills and shit haha..i get nervous when driving and to the side is nothing but the bottom lol..

Thanks for all the tips..what time would you recomment leaving Vancouver? 2 am? 3?
Advertisement
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
beginning of this month did this with a buddy of mine.

left van @ 1am, got into redwood city @ 10pm same day. would have been sooner but i needed to stop in elk grove to pick up a part. and we stopped in Salem for breakfast.

we switched drivers at every tank.. turned out to be roughly every 5 hrs.

on the way back i think we left at like around 11pm or so i think... got to the boarder at like 9pm the next day. stopped in Eugene for breakfast... honestly...if you're near Eugene in the morning and you're hungry, find Todd's Place ... best damn skillet breakfast i've ever had, for damn cheap... it showed up in our GPS as an IHOP lol..

we also stopped in Kaizer to go to the Circuit City, and in woodburn for the outlets.
if you're going to do any shopping, do it in oregon... they have no sales tax.

i was driving my RX7 and i avg'd about 500-550km/60L tank. fill up was 30-40$ US
A little OT, but you actually drove your rotary that far? Built?
flipkronikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Yes, the coastline is the 101 Pacific Coastal Highway.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #29
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
Is the Coastline the "101" hwy? I've heard that it's really steep hills and shit haha..i get nervous when driving and to the side is nothing but the bottom lol..

Thanks for all the tips..what time would you recomment leaving Vancouver? 2 am? 3?
Yes and no, the 101 actually runs quite far inland. If you look on google maps, the coastal hwy is actually California State Route 1. North of California, the 101 merges with SR-1 and goes all the way up to Washington

As for leaving Vancouver, it depends when you want to get there. If the first stop is San Fran, you should be able to get there around midnight if you leave at like 9am. Earlier if you plan to stop
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #30

^ thanks man. I'll look into that. I think I can manage hotels in LA and others but anyone know a nice cheap place to stay in SF? just want it safe at night, etc..and close to everything... it's just to get some rest..etc
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #31
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I've found actually calling the hotels and asking for a good rate has saved me more money than using something like expedia. Just a little tip...but I've never stayed anywhere in SF. I have driven to Cali quite a lot because I have family there. I usually go with someone and take turns driving and take the I5 because it's the fastest. This summer I'm going to go down on my motorcycle and enjoy the coastal highways. I will camp and maybe stay in a hotel one night...expecting to take 2 nights because I'll also go inland to hit some of the best motorcycle roads in the West.
Chris_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I plan to head down to san jose again this summer and taking the coast after portland all the way to san fran. Are there enough gas stations on the 101? My range isn't very long, around 500km or so.

Once I get there, this is what i am going to do:
365 turns in less than 20 km. I'll do this in a ///M car this time. heaven here I come. lol
Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #33
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
^ thanks man. I'll look into that. I think I can manage hotels in LA and others but anyone know a nice cheap place to stay in SF? just want it safe at night, etc..and close to everything... it's just to get some rest..etc
Just make sure you don't drive over to Oakland at night. Actually...don't head over to Oakland at all.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
Bwaahaha!

I recall 68style driving by Oakland one time, jumped out of his car to make a phone call at a phone booth and boy, did he ever learn from that.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #35
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
Bwaahaha!

I recall 68style driving by Oakland one time, jumped out of his car to make a phone call at a phone booth and boy, did he ever learn from that.
haha...did he end up having to take the Greyhound back home to Vancouver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlowSS View Post
I plan to head down to san jose again this summer and taking the coast after portland all the way to san fran. Are there enough gas stations on the 101? My range isn't very long, around 500km or so.

Once I get there, this is what i am going to do:
365 turns in less than 20 km. I'll do this in a ///M car this time. heaven here I come. lol
If I remember correctly, there's a lot of small towns along the coast. I'm sure you'll be able to last 500km. My Eclipse pretty much made it from SF to Crescent City on one tank of gas, and that car had a V6 and was pretty loaded up with gear.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Just make sure you don't drive over to Oakland at night. Actually...don't head over to Oakland at all.
What's wrong with Oakland? Not planning on going anyway but what happened lol.. i'm curious..
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #37
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
What's wrong with Oakland? Not planning on going anyway but what happened lol.. i'm curious..
It's...well...to put it nicely not the nice part of town. Known for their gangs and rough neighbourhoods.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #38
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The worst drive is on i-5 from around the bay area all the way to LA. It's just one long stretch of flat highway so take the PC highway instead like already mentioned in this thread.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I can't wait to do this.
rofl!
6insomnia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #40

Ya, I'm debating if to take the 101 or just 1-5 lol...we're propbably gonna leave super early so we can do most of the driving while it's still bright outside and helps keep me awake..

When you going Insomnia?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #41
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

did VA to SF in 13 hrs straigt , 3 gas station stops and food on the go. drove on I5 to Sacramento then on I80 to SF
mikeeb777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #42
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Over the easter weekend, I went from Vancouver to Las Vegas, over to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, back to Vegas, over to Malibu, up the coastal hwy to San Fran, shot back to the I-5 with a stop in Sacramento for dinner with family and them up home... Poor Hertz car