REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Leaky Radiator..

Hi everyone,
I took my car in for a routine oil change this morning, and the mechanic told me that I have a leaky radiator..When I looked at my car I saw that from the front of my car there is just water dripping..and its not just a random drip here and there, its a constant drip, drip, drip...I was told that there is something I could get from Canadian tire, that I pour into my radiator, just for a quick fix..
Now what Im wondering is how much would it cost to get this problem fixed, and would I have to leave my car at a mechanics shop for a while? ( leaving my car for a period of time is kind of out of the question, as per I need it everyday)...

Please Advise,

Thanks
Advertisement
Princess121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rider

Use an egg.
Qasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i watched a mechanic use something called "bars leaks" (i think that's what it was called) and dumped this into the radiator of this old toyota that was leaking coolant out of the bottom like a sieve and then kept adding water as the car was still running... and eventually the leak stopped. in that case i think it was only a temp fix.

i don't know what your money situation is. cheap would be one from a wrecker or a remanufactured one. otherwise it would be oem new (big $$$). regardless it could take 2-3 hours guessing depending on how hard it is to pull your rad and the time it takes to put in new coolant and bleed the system.

if you're looking for a shop cool-it radiators in bby (near imperial/kinsgway) is the place people have recommended me to go to in the past (in my case it was for aircon repair which they also do).
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It depends on the car / model.. if the car is modern and uses plastic radiators.. DO NOT BUY USED!

Hot/cold cycles, NVH + coolant.. fatigues the plastic.. you mind as well pay for an OEM (vs factory OE)..

Look at where/who it was damaged.. it might be a rock / flying debris.. my friend had a big stick stuck through his radiator + evaporator.. good thing ICBC covered it.

At any shop it will take a day, so just rent a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i watched a mechanic use something called "bars leaks" (i think that's what it was called) and dumped this into the radiator of this old toyota that was leaking coolant out of the bottom like a sieve and then kept adding water as the car was still running... and eventually the leak stopped. in that case i think it was only a temp fix.

i don't know what your money situation is. cheap would be one from a wrecker or a remanufactured one. otherwise it would be oem new (big $$$). regardless it could take 2-3 hours guessing depending on how hard it is to pull your rad and the time it takes to put in new coolant and bleed the system.

if you're looking for a shop cool-it radiators in bby (near imperial/kinsgway) is the place people have recommended me to go to in the past (in my case it was for aircon repair which they also do).
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

if you drive an older civic like 90-2000 it would only take an hour or so to replace the radiator.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

PLASTIC RADS??!!!! ive never heard of them! how would it conduct heat if its not metal???!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
dont even bother with that stuff with the little copper balls that clogs the holes..

it fucks up your whole system pretty much, it does fix it but it leaves that copper garbage in the mix forever pretty much, after i got a new rad and flushed it countless times there is still the copper gunk in my resoivior
Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhead View Post
PLASTIC RADS??!!!! ive never heard of them! how would it conduct heat if its not metal???!
i believe he's referring to the radiator end tanks, not the actual core itself.

it took 2 hours to replace the rad in my dad's old dodge caravan.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
is your coolant old? the coolant can turn into acid over time, causing the metal to corrode and cause leak.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
I STILL don't get it

My car is an '02, but how would I would if its a plastic radiator..would it be better to get the whole thing changed? and get a new one put in? I might as well do that, i think..

Ive never delt with a radiator before, and I am worried about it, thanks to my parents telling my my car is going to blow up if there is no water in it, so im a little paranoid at the moment..
Princess121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
took a couple of hours and around $300-ish to replace my radiator, labour included

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess121 View Post
My car is an '02, but how would I would if its a plastic radiator..would it be better to get the whole thing changed? and get a new one put in? I might as well do that, i think..

Ive never delt with a radiator before, and I am worried about it, thanks to my parents telling my my car is going to blow up if there is no water in it, so im a little paranoid at the moment..
You definitely don't want to run out of water. When you have a chance, check your reservoir.
If it's low, just add some coolent/water. Don't let your car run out of it!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess121 View Post

just go to a mechanic and save yourself the headache. worrying about it and just letting it leak isn't going to solve it. if there is any chance that rad lets go on you and you don't catch it in time you could even toast the motor, and then you'll really find out how expensive things can get and i swear you'll never hear the end of it from your parental units

give cool-it a call, unless someone else can come up with another choice.

cool-it cooling and heating
6835 merritt ave
burnaby bc
604 430 4622
http://www.coolitbc.com

[EDIT] mods if this is considered spam pls let me know and i'll remove the above because i don't know of any RS sponsors that specializes in this...

Last edited by thumper; 03-01-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
straight from the fields of squamton

make sure it's topped up before you drive, if you continue to drive it. Don't bother with bars leak. like hondaracer said, that shit stays in the system forever pretty much and you should just replace the rad.

amount to fix will really depend on the vehicle, but the mechanic should be able to tell you how much before they start.

rads are pretty easy and you may be able to leave the car for a half day if you need it. It shouldn't be more than a day though, if it is, find a new shop haha.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

just replace the rad man.. they are cheap used. takes me 10 minutes to remove my rad.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

i had this problem before. i thought it was the RAD, but it ending up being a Leaky Hose
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
DO NOT USE LEAK STOPPERS

they serve not to stop leaks, but to fuck up your entire system

DO NOT USE IT!