REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Good Shop For A Reaasonably Priced PAINT JOB

I want to get my car painted before show season. My car is more Go oriented so I don't want to pay $4000 for paint, but I can't seem to find any cheaper shops anymore.... Anyone know of good autobody and paint shops with reasonable prices??
Advertisement
325ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Well in abby H&R is the best shop....Im sure you could get the price down by removing your own trim, and possibly the glass too....

Problem with paint right now is that most shops have just recently invested money into new booths guns and what not to do the changeup to waterbourne paints, as required in a couple months, and the costs are being passed onto the consumer.

Also a lot of shops are taking into account what it costs to actually do a good paint job, not and the prices are being raised for that reason as well.
deviant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,580 Times in 847 Posts
80% of a good paint job is all in the prep.

Prep it yourself, and take your time. That way you know that you're doing it right and thoroughly. That means pulling shit apart, masking, and primer. After that, just request that they re-etch the primer and go from there.

Offer your own paint if you want a custom colour.
Painting is easy compared to prepping. All the money is in the labour that it costs to prep.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
retired

Etch primer is used on bare metal surfaces.

You would want the shop to use something along the lines of high build primer.

Doing the prep work yourself is always an option, but remember, most shops won't warranty jack if anything goes wrong as they didn't do the prep work.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ist View Post
I want to get my car painted before show season. My car is more Go oriented so I don't want to pay $4000 for paint, but I can't seem to find any cheaper shops anymore.... Anyone know of good autobody and paint shops with reasonable prices??
Remember, you get what you pay for. Especially paint jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant1 View Post
Problem with paint right now is that most shops have just recently invested money into new booths guns and what not to do the changeup to waterbourne paints, as required in a couple months
Paint companys have kicked in some money to shops that switched over to waterbased paint. They usually sign some 5+ yr contract stating they won't switch to a different paint manufacturer. I'm pretty sure they pushed that date back yet again. Last new date I heard is Jan 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
80% of a good paint job is all in the prep.

Prep it yourself, and take your time. That way you know that you're doing it right and thoroughly. That means pulling shit apart, masking, and primer. After that, just request that they re-etch the primer and go from there.

Offer your own paint if you want a custom colour.
Painting is easy compared to prepping. All the money is in the labour that it costs to prep.
I cringe every time some customer brings in his own prepped vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Etch primer is used on bare metal surfaces.

You would want the shop to use something along the lines of high build primer.

Doing the prep work yourself is always an option, but remember, most shops won't warranty jack if anything goes wrong as they didn't do the prep work.
+1 No shop will warranty a job they didn't prep. All painters won't apply high build primer, since they would have to resand it. Most will apply a primer sealer and then go paint it. Some won't even do the primer sealer.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote