REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #76
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
uh...no, it's not an 'excuse' and it has to be proven... unless what you're actually saying is you advocate punishing the mentally insane
I don't see it like that, I think he's to big of a risk to let into a halfway house or group home though. I'd rather error on the side of caution with a case like this, he should never see the light of day. That's my opinion, the judge obviously seen it different which is unfortunate.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #77
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Protect the guilty.
Umm..no technically he is not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #78
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
uh...no, it's not an 'excuse' and it has to be proven... unless what you're actually saying is you advocate punishing the mentally insane
I completely would advocate punishing the mentally insane.

And yes, it is an excuse. They may have been born with that handicap, but that doesnt' give them the right to do things which are against the social norm. If someone beheads someone, they should do the time. simple.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #79
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
"The 51-year-old member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is among 13 first responders who have killed themselves in the past 10 weeks"

Wtf did I read that right?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #80
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The difference is that as a lawyer you do it for money (a lot of money) and if you can pick the person you are defending.
I don't think that's right for all lawyers... Since everyone's entitled to a fair trial, if the defendant is too poor to afford a lawyer, he gets assigned a lawyer paid for by the government I believe

which is what may have happened here

also, this happened 6 years ago?? holy shit time flies... feels like it was max 2 years ago
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #81
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post

And yes, it is an excuse. They may have been born with that handicap, but that doesnt' give them the right to do things which are against the social norm. If someone beheads someone, they should do the time. simple.
This is ridiculous. In what way is it an excuse? It's a sickness. If someone had an undiagnosed heart condition and had a heart attack while driving a car and crashed into someone, would you advocate for them to be punished with jail time?

Nobody's saying he has "the right" to kill people, but it's a mitigating circumstance.

So no, it's not simple.
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #82
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't see it like that, I think he's to big of a risk to let into a halfway house or group home though. I'd rather error on the side of caution with a case like this, he should never see the light of day. That's my opinion, the judge obviously seen it different which is unfortunate.
Thankfully, the legal system values personal liberties, so someone that isn't guilty of any crime can't be jailed indefinitely just to err on the side of caution. It's the same reason everyone's bitching against Bill C-51 and against the NSA, etc. If the paramount consideration was security, we'd gladly give up privacy and security in exchange for Big Brother looking over everyone's shoulders and making sure nobody gets hurt. But we don't. So yeah, maybe there's a risk he might re-offend. But in the eyes of the experts who know vastly more than you or I, the risk is low, and he is capable of re-entering society and becoming a productive member of the public. If the risk is minimal, isn't that better than just throwing another person in a room with padded walls and having our tax dollars paying for his care for the next 50 years?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #83
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
well enough to live in a group home and eventually become a contributing member of society again? then he's well enough to face a regular sentence

think about how just this decision is to the victim's family, the other passengers, the first responders and even the current residents of the group home he'll be staying with.

If he's really low risk outside of padded walls then may be he should board with the judge and psychiatrist that approved this permission. How can anyone ask the public to trust that he'll be dilligent in taking meds?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #84
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Face a regular sentence for what? The courts already held that he was not guilty. You can't just throw people in prison for no reason.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:49 AM   #85
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I would like to see him move right next door to Majestic12
How about Majestic12, give him a ride to where ever he needs to go? make sure he doesn't get lost?
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 AM   #86
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:

You're misguided

Sure, they may "do things" that are "against the social norm"; but, they lack the mental capacity to appreciate the nature & quality of the act or of knowing that it was wrong (quoted from the CCC).

Basically, they don't have guilty minds. If you wanna get all technical n shit, they are unable to form a mens rea.

You would punish someone who couldn't appreciate the weight of his/her actions?

Last edited by pinn3r; 05-10-2015 at 01:59 AM.
pinn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #87
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:

i guess you cheered the lynch mob in 'of mice and men' and 'Frankenstein'
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #88
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
RS:

-man does phone sale scam: should be ruined for life. the law says it's fraud! it's fraud!!! hang him!!!

-man cuts another man's head and body parts off and eats some of them: should be helped to be integrated back into society. the law says he's excused... HE'S EXCUSED!!!

the law is religion. it is black and white. there is no discretion beyond the law. amen. brothers, let us hold hands and rejoice in this opportunity, and to praise the upholding of virtue and all that is true and right, dictated by our divine law.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #89
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
It is a complicated situation and I can see both sides of the argument...

When someone has a mental condition, they are technically not classified as themselves. What they do in this state is not held accountable according to the law. On the flip side, someone was murdered, and there's no one to be held responsible for it.

As silly as that analogy of him being possessed by a demon, it's actually a really good analogy. Technically, the demon beheaded someone. So you cannot throw the possessed man in jail for something he technically didn't do...

Life isn't fair.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #90
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
I would like to see him move right next door to Majestic12
How about Majestic12, give him a ride to where ever he needs to go? make sure he doesn't get lost?
Quote:
We can conclude from the information in this review that individuals with mental illness, when appropriately treated, do not pose any increased risk of violence over the general population. Violence may be more of an issue in patients diagnosed with personality disorders and substance dependence. The overall impact of mental illness as a factor in the violence that occurs in society as a whole appears to be overemphasized, possibly intensifying the stigma already surrounding psychiatric disorders.
Violence and Mental Illness

Sure.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #91
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
-man cuts another man's head and body parts off and eats some of them: should be helped to be integrated back into society. the law says he's excused... HE'S EXCUSED!!!
I must have missed the part where he's "excused". He's not "excused". He's "not criminally responsible". If he was excused, he'd be let back out into the world with no consequences. That isn't the case, is it? No, he's been institutionalized for something like 7 years, undergoing treatment, and is only now being eased back into society. Deemed a low risk to re-offend, and aware of his condition and what it takes to control it.

Plus, this is the decision of experts in law, medicine, psychiatry, etc. What is it that you know that they don't?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #92
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Well I wouldn't want myself or anyone I know on a bus, in a restaurant, in a mall or anywhere near this guy. I don't care if they found him completely nutter butters and only slapped him on the dick, he cut someones head off I don't think anyone is arguing his elevator stops part ways up. We'll have to agree to disagree I still don't think he should ever be free.

The judge should put him up as a billet when he's done with the group home, saving peoples souls and all that good shit.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #93
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
He isn't responsible for the suicide of that RCMP officer but was that taken into account by the judge?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #94
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
You're misguided

Sure, they may "do things" that are "against the social norm"; but, they lack the mental capacity to appreciate the nature & quality of the act or of knowing that it was wrong (quoted from the CCC).

Basically, they don't have guilty minds. If you wanna get all technical n shit, they are unable to form a mens rea.

You would punish someone who couldn't appreciate the weight of his/her actions?

I would completely punish someone who couldn't appreciate the weight of his or her actions.

Ignorance is NOT an excuse.

But I completely misread the article. This person WAS punished, being in an institution for 7 years, so I am content with that. I don't agree that he should be in a halfway house, but he did his time fair and square.

One thing that alarms me is:
>>Li’s doctors have consistently praised his progress during treatment for schizophrenia, and say he is a very low risk to re-offend violently, as long as he stays on his medication.

once out in the public, there are no checks in place to ensure this happens ...

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #95
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
I would completely punish someone who couldn't appreciate the weight of his or her actions.

But I completely misread the article. This person WAS punished, being in an institution for 7 years, so I am content with that. I don't agree that he should be in a halfway house, but he did his time fair and square.

>>Li’s doctors have consistently praised his progress during treatment for schizophrenia, and say he is a very low risk to re-offend violently, as long as he stays on his medication.

Unfortunately for you, the law says we cannot punish those cannot appreciate the nature and quality of their act.

Yes ignorance is not an excuse, but he is not ignorant, he is mentally disabled.

He wasn't "punished" for 7 years, he was being treated. He couldn't have been "punished" because he wasn't responsible for his actions by law. It was just a response to help the person himself and for societal good.

The ignorance in these posts are astonishing
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #96
I subscribe to Revscene

What a waste of tax payers dollars trying to treat him. Kill the pos and get it over with. He's worthless. I don't care if he wasn't in the right state of mind I.e. "insane". If I had done something like I would gladly accept the death penalty to make the victims family feel better. What good is it treating him, will anyone ever hire him knowing what he's done? Just a waste of our dollars. fucking Canada
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #97
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Sounds like a majority of people on this forum rather live in Saudi Arabia.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #98
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
What a waste of tax payers dollars trying to treat him. Kill the pos and get it over with. He's worthless. I don't care if he wasn't in the right state of mind I.e. "insane". If I had done something like I would gladly accept the death penalty to make the victims family feel better. What good is it treating him, will anyone ever hire him knowing what he's done? Just a waste of our dollars. fucking Canada
Unfortunately not everyone is so noble as to allow themselves to be executed for something they don't even remember doing.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #99
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:

Like wkbb said, it's not ignorance.

They lack moral compasses and the mental capacity to register what they are doing. Depending on the severity of their illnesses or psychotic episodes, they don't realize what they are doing is wrong. Like babies.

If an autistic person attacked you, would you knock his shit out? Say an infant somehow had his hands on a gun, played around with it, and shot somebody. Would you aim to punish the infant? No, 'cause you would know it wasn't out of malevolence. You would know that they don't know any better, right?

I don't advocate for this guy's release, but don't be an ignoramus.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
The doctor permitted his release should be charged
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote