REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Backpacking in Australia or Southeast Asia

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about going back packing with my girl friend in either Australia or Thailand/cambodia/vietnam...

We're in the planning stages right now but since we don't know alot of people who have done it we have no one to turn to for advice.

Some i came to RS lol...

Anyways my main questions if you have done it are...

1.)What did you do there/what did you enjoy the most
2.)How much money did you spend/what time frame were you there.
3.)would you recommend one place over another

Any tips on backpacking or any of these locations would be great

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

just to give you an idea, I'm bringing three grand with me to vietnam and I leave next week. And I'm told I'll have a hard time spending a g even though im there for nearly a month.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #3

hahah yeah i've been to vietnam and cambodia before and the exchange rate is just unblieveable in vietnam u can feed like a family of 4 on pho for like 2 dollars canadian
Old 03-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

thanks for the link btw
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I'll direct you to my sister's travel site. She was in that area a couple years ago (along with the rest of the world) and should have some useful information for you. There's basically blog posts about where she went, to give you ideas, and advice on backpacking as well.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

I've been to Vietnam 5 times and I absolutely love it! I'm going again this summer actually. I have family there, so I just stay with them. However, I did take a 2 week backpacking kind of trip from South to Central Vietnam. I travelled by train and bus... although I don't remember how much it was to travel that way... sorry.

The exchange there is roughly $1,000,000 dong for $100 cdn/us (depending on the exchange). There have been times that I only got $800,000 dong and other times I got almost $1,500,000. I just bring Canadian money with me.

The cost of food and what not is going to be cheapest of your expenses. A plate of rice with grilled meat or a bowl of pho (beef noodle soup) will run you about $5000-$10,000 dong ($0.50-$1.00 here). If you are on a budget, avoid fancier restaurants. Street food is the best kind of food anyways!

Just an interesting fact that you might want to know... some washrooms require you to pay, so always keep smaller bills on hand. Its $500-1000 dong ($0.05-0.10). Those washrooms are always cleaner, and they have toilet paper.

If you have any other questions about Vietnam, I'd be happy to answer them for you. Just message me =)
miss604si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Oh yeah, if you're planning on hopping from country to country in asia, make sure you look at the dates on your travelling visa carefully. I heard of this girl that went from vietnam to cambodia and they wouldn't let her leave cambodia because her visa expired... she got arrested.
miss604si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
few thigns
if you haven' tdone ANY back packing before, go with contiki tour.
if you cant' sleep easily on random hostel beds, or u NEED the nice hotels, do NOT backpack.
lastly, if you and your GF just started to date and you dont 'know her well enough, DON"T back pack.

good luck with ur gf.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
btw you wont find a bowl of pho for 10k dong.

inflation.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Did my first backpacking trip about 4 years ago in Thailand and Laos. Loved it. We back to Thailand again a few months after getting back with my GF. Was in Cambodia and Vietnam for 4 weeks, just got back last Wed.

It's super easy to backpack in SE Asia. The added bonus is that it's cheap from all aspects: accommodation, transportation, food, entertainment, etc. Nothing to be scared about. I've backpacked thru Jamaica and that's a place where you don't want to go out at night.....really.