REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Look for a Turbo Elbow for T3/T04

So i have a T3/T04 turbo and i've been having trouble trying to find a turbo elbow for it. i've tried ebay, but it could quite possibly be because i'm searching the wrong thing.

where can i find one?
Advertisement
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Turbo elbow for the turbine side id presume. I Cant imagine many companies would make a elbow unless it was vehicle specific.

The T3/T04 turbos have differant flanges, from 4 bolt, vband, 5bolt, etc.

Most people make there own, if you buy the flange off ebay, you can make one pretty easy, or pretty much any decent muffler shop should be able to weld the pipe to the flange.

Something like this id imagine your looking for but, not for a talon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories

Your best off making your own. Buy the flange, bring it to a good exhaust shop and get them to weld it for you.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #3

That's exactly what i need.

except most of the ones i see have a smaller circle next to the compressor turbine.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 03-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #4

Yeah, thats for internally wastegated turbos.

Is that exactly what you need? Another alternative is to search up a car that uses a T3 turbine(Most cars), and has the same flange as you and then get an elbow from that. Perhaps the Mustang SVO, Turbo Thunderbirds might, Turbo buicks, or Volvo's could use that. The one from the talon looks "akward" so to speak, not sure if it will work in your case. What is it going on? Your KA-T?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

yes it's for the KA,

the one for the talon i assume is because of where the turbo is mounted.

weird. my turbo shoudlnt' have a internal waste gate but it has a hole for it.

i might just get a flange and beg someone to weld it for me.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #6

Yeah, its just where the turbo is placed on the talon/eclipse.

Have a picture of your turbo? On the turbine housing, you have an open hole there? I dont understand how you'd get any boost with that being open.

Your best off just doing that. If you bring the flange and the piping to a muffler shop, assuming its out of mild steel you can get them to weld it. Sometimes you can just slip the guy a $20 and hed weld it for you.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #7

that's my turbo and i put my finger in that hole and it doesn't go anywhere, but from the diagrams i've seen online it is for the wastegate.

it does seem like it would inhibit spool if it were just to be open.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #8

Yeah thats for the wastegate. Kinda odd how its open, and there is no flap or anything to control it.

The hole goes straight through to where the exhaust gas enters the turbine housing. Basically its function is to vent excess exhaust gas when the desired boost level is hit. By diverting exhaust gas away from the turbine it restricts the turbine from spinning faster (more boost).

If that is left open, im surprised your able to reach anything over maybe 2-3psi depending on what its on, and you would only reach that towards redline.

If you get a 5 Bolt flange, and its tight against the housing, it *should* be fine. Make sure its bolted down tight, or it could leak. You will need some form of an external wastegate if you choose that method. My Tial 38mm has proven itself with me. Never had any boost creep issues, once that thing opens, boost is held steady all the way to redline.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #9

The manifold i have does have a flange for the wastegate so i was planning on running a tial 35 or 38mm.

if i were to bolt the turbo to the flange tightly, would it be possible to fix the issue? i mean like you said it could leak right?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #10

In that situation, I can only speak on theory, not experience. If it bolts tightly against it, and the flange is true(flat), it shouldnt leak, but make sure its tightened down good. There will be quite a bit of force on it. Worst case scenario and it leaks, get a good quality gasket. Use grade 10 bolts, and use some loc-tite just in case!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

spray the downpipe flange with some copper spray to help it seal. If both surfaces are flat it's all you need and I prefer it to a gasket as most are cheap and can be a pain to replace if they blow out.
brine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Guys that is a perfectly normal T3 housing. That smaller hole is the internal wastegate port.

You need a 5 bolt flange.

If you plan to use an internal wastgate, then you need one with a flapper, like this:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...art-3-a-3.html

If you plan to run an external wastegate you just want one that blocks that port, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318

In the case of the 2nd flange, that would essentially end up welded directly to your downpipe.

In the case of the first, your downpipe would use a v-band flange.

Hope that helps.

Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
Guys that is a perfectly normal T3 housing. That smaller hole is the internal wastegate port.

You need a 5 bolt flange.

If you plan to use an internal wastgate, then you need one with a flapper, like this:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...art-3-a-3.html

If you plan to run an external wastegate you just want one that blocks that port, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318

In the case of the 2nd flange, that would essentially end up welded directly to your downpipe.

In the case of the first, your downpipe would use a v-band flange.

Hope that helps.

You linked to a holset thread on a dsm board. That is a standard t3 hotside however it doesn't have an internal wastegate. If the OP wanted to run an internal gate he would have to buy a whole new turbine housing with an internal wastegate, not just run flange with a hole in it.
brine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brine04 View Post
You linked to a holset thread on a dsm board. That is a standard t3 hotside however it doesn't have an internal wastegate. If the OP wanted to run an internal gate he would have to buy a whole new turbine housing with an internal wastegate, not just run flange with a hole in it.
Gah I copied the link wrong.

You are confused about the housing- that housing will work fine for an internal gate, the gate is not in the turbine housing.

The link was supposed to be to a wastegate housing for a t3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...Q5fAccessories

Regardless, he wants to block that hole and run an external which would require the flnage that is blank. Again, yes to run the interal it would not be the same flange with a hole in it. You need a housing with a flapper in it.

Hope that makes more sense....
Old 03-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #15

here's a shot of my mani so i assume i'll be running a external wastegate.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yup exactly, looks like the standard 2 bolt tial 38 flange- so use the second turbo flange I posted that simply blocks that little hole in the turbine housing and use it as your downpipe flange basically.

The Vibrant part is #1433
The metal gasket is #1433G

I have seen guys get away with not using the gasket there, but it's cheap insurance.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
Yup exactly, looks like the standard 2 bolt tial 38 flange- so use the second turbo flange I posted that simply blocks that little hole in the turbine housing and use it as your downpipe flange basically.

The Vibrant part is #1433
The metal gasket is #1433G

I have seen guys get away with not using the gasket there, but it's cheap insurance.

with your experience

if i were to get that flange, and weld the some piping. and put the gasket in there, is it enough to stop it from leaking?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

assuming the you don't warp the flange while welding it and the mating surface on the turbo is flat, it definitely will not leak, especially with the gasket.