REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,765 Times in 907 Posts
PC Problem any suggestions?

Got an annoying computer issue I was hoping somebody could shed some light on. So now when I turn on my computer/reboot whatever it will try to load and just freeze. It won't always freeze on the same spot and sometimes will even make its way into windows before freezing. At times on start up I will even get a blue screen saying something like "Hardware malfunction please see hardware vendor". On occasion if I turn off the PC for a while and try again I can get in and use my computer normally with the exception that the internet is now not working. It ain't the internet since my other PC's internet works. Anybody have any thoughts on what hardware is fucked?

I don't have all the stats handy on me right now but the computer does have mileage on it.

Also does anybody have any places to recommend to get their PC fixed?
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
is ur hard drive making clicking noises? I recently had the exact same problem and replaced that hard drive and everything was working fine again...
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i had the same problem too changed out the hd and worked agian
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Will it boot up properly under safe mode?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Will it boot up properly under safe mode?
No weird noises from HD

Won't boot up properly under safe mode either. Neither will it boot it when I choose the option for "load under last working configuration" or whatever its called.

Thanks for the replies so far keep the suggestions coming.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

blue screen of death?
broken ram?
do you have 2 hd's or one?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycHo_DraGoN69 View Post
blue screen of death?
broken ram?
do you have 2 hd's or one?
I just have 1 HD

Sometimes I will get that blue screen of death on start up. Most of the others times on start up I'll get the screen where it says something like "Windows had some error please choose the following" and the options are SafeMode, Start windows from the last known working confirguration, or start windows normally. At that point it doesn't matter which I choose at it would freeze too.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Could it possibly be a faulty motherboard? Is it a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop and it's more than a few years old, check for leaky capacitors. There was a big issue a few years back when motherboard vendors used substandard capacitors. It might possibly be a source of your problems.

Have you also tried disconnecting any un-needed hardware and only booting up with the basics (like a single stick of RAM, only one HD and only CPU and fan connected? Is the PC overclocked? If so, drop the settings back down to stock or failsafe mode to test.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Well, if it's not even booting up properly in safe mode, then yeah... it's probably some hardware failure... going to need to troubleshoot and try to isolate the problem. Not always easy though.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Well, if it's not even booting up properly in safe mode, then yeah... it's probably some hardware failure... going to need to troubleshoot and try to isolate the problem. Not always easy though.
For sure. I'm ok with the computer tech stuff but this is beyond my knowledge so might just take it in somewhere. Just trying to locate a decent place that's nto too pricey =\

Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

no it isn't that hard to isolate.
there's only a number of things
#1. listen to your battery supply, see if it's louder then usual
same with processor (i had one of the blades broken in my battery supply before and it didn't keep my computer as cool as it should have been)
#2. check video card (boot up without it plugged in)
#3. check ram. (one slot at a time per boot up)
#4. examine motherboard (like someone said, check for faulty capacitors or such)
#5. reformat (to test hd)
Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycHo_DraGoN69 View Post
no it isn't that hard to isolate.
there's only a number of things
#1. listen to your battery supply, see if it's louder then usual
same with processor (i had one of the blades broken in my battery supply before and it didn't keep my computer as cool as it should have been)
#2. check video card (boot up without it plugged in)
#3. check ram. (one slot at a time per boot up)
#4. examine motherboard (like someone said, check for faulty capacitors or such)
#5. reformat (to test hd)
Fair enough. I suck ass when it comes to computer hardware shiet but I'm sure I can manage any of these things. Thanks for all the help so far