REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Lamin-X for front Headlights

I am purchasing a Lamin-X kit for my front headlights. I am getting a LIGHT smoke tint for my car because it is silver and am not really worried about that.

However, I also wanted to get something for my brother's car. He has a white car and I was planning of getting him yellow or white lamin-x for his front headlights. Are there any legal problems with tinting your headlights? The LIGHT output will remain the same, it's simply for aesthetic purposes.

Here is an example of a white car with yellow lamin-x
Advertisement
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
White is the only legal color for headlights in BC. Anything that reduces the light output AT ALL is illegal. Even a light smoke will reduce light output, even if it's not noticeable to you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
sounds good, thanks
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback

Last edited by parm104; 03-16-2009 at 03:50 AM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
And in answer to your original reply:

Quote:
Well that doesn't make any sense because if one was to purchase a set of 5000K HID bulbs, those will reduce the light output, yet at the same time, they ARE LEGAL.
Actually, they aren't. HID retrofits of any kind are illegal in BC.

Quote:
I have yet to find any rules or regulations that actually state that this would be illegal.
At the top of the thread is a sticky, "The Answer To Almost All Questions About Lights". It contains some brief overviews, as well as links to various laws and resources, including this paragraph:

Quote:
The General Maintenance Rules require that the lights be securely mounted, not broken, kept clean and properly sealed against water and not be covered or shielded or obstructed by ANYTHING.

If you put anything in, on or over a lamp or reflector that reduces its effectiveness IN ANY WAY, it is illegal.
The link goes to the actual regulation, which states:
Quote:
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.
And right underneath that, you have:
Quote:
Headlamps

4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.
So there you go... you could have answered your questions just by reading the sticky.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Do you want to hang out in my car to be an objective 3rd party telling this to drivers when they start arguing about how they've had it for years, so it must be legal?
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Well that means having eyelids for your headlights are also illegal.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Well that means having eyelids for your headlights are also illegal.
Correct.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
I think he's catching on!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 703
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
eyelids are ugly...
__________________
2007 DBP GLI: Bagged, BBK'd, Built 2.0T FSI w/GT3071R DSG w/ LSD FOR SALE

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Yea I know, my point was just that we see them so often, yet they're illegal.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
You see lots of illegal things all the time - front tint, underglows, HID retrofits, white taillights, driving lights used as foglights...

And guys will argue every one of them with the excuse, "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
You see lots of illegal things all the time - front tint, underglows, HID retrofits, white taillights, driving lights used as foglights...

And guys will argue every one of them with the excuse, "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!"

No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that. They assume that. That's why smart people will come into the POLICE forum and ask the question before doing something.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:42 AM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that. They assume that.
They assume that... and then when they get busted, they'll use that argument in their defense.

Quote:
That's why smart people will come into the POLICE forum and ask the question before doing something.
You must be new around here

Smart people will come in here and ask and then learn something from the advice.

Unfortunately, most are not so smart and will come in here and ask, and when they get an answer they don't like, will also trot out the "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!" argument.

Don't believe me? Every other regular in this forum will tell you the same thing. The mods will tell you the same thing. Guys come in here regularly looking for justification for their ricey mods and then when they're given facts that don't support them, will argue and debate and fight against those facts til they're blue in the face (or fingers, as the case may be). And "my buddy did it to his car and never got stopped for it" is by far their most common excuse.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
They assume that... and then when they get busted, they'll use that argument in their defense.



You must be new around here

Smart people will come in here and ask and then learn something from the advice.

Unfortunately, most are not so smart and will come in here and ask, and when they get an answer they don't like, will also trot out the "Everyone else does it, so it can't be illegal!" argument.

Don't believe me? Every other regular in this forum will tell you the same thing. The mods will tell you the same thing. Guys come in here regularly looking for justification for their ricey mods and then when they're given facts that don't support them, will argue and debate and fight against those facts til they're blue in the face (or fingers, as the case may be). And "my buddy did it to his car and never got stopped for it" is by far their most common excuse.

I must be new? I've been here since 2004. Perhaps new to the Police section of this forum, but who gives a shit. I'm not everyone and I never once said "everyone else does it so it must be illegal." I simply implied that one would assume that isn't illegal because you see it being done so commonly.

Whether or not OTHER people come in here and use the excuse "of my friend had it so it must be legal" is irrelevant and off-topic because the OP never said anything of that nature.
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
jlenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 3,562
Thanked 330 Times in 163 Posts
People don't come in here and ask before doing something... they come in here to ask how to fight the ticket after the fact.

And we usually give them no sympathy
__________________
Don't be the next RS.net statistic - If you drink, don't drive. You'll lose your licence, and the rest of us will laugh at you.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
I must be new? I've been here since 2004. Perhaps new to the Police section of this forum, but who gives a shit.
Well that was kind of the point...

Quote:
I'm not everyone
Everyone is grateful for that.

Quote:
and I never once said "everyone else does it so it must be illegal."
I never said you did.

Quote:
I simply implied that one would assume that isn't illegal because you see it being done so commonly.
And I agreed, that happens all the time. And I added that they then use that assumption to argue the law when they either get told otherwise, or when they get busted for it. None of that invalidates your statement - stop being so defensive.

Quote:
Whether or not OTHER people come in here and use the excuse "of my friend had it so it must be legal" is irrelevant and off-topic because the OP never said anything of that nature.
Umm, aren't you the OP? Or are you having an identity crisis?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
No you're wrong. People don't ARGUE that.
Sorry, but you're wrong in this case. You have no clue the number of people I pull over who argue and say, "But I've had it like that for # years and never had a problem before" or, "How come I see so many other cars with ______ then?" I'd say for equipment violation tickets, a good 75% of people say that. The other 25% have already been given tickets for it and know its wrong and just pay off the tickets.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
TheSalesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,634
Thanked 153 Times in 90 Posts
so are mugen headlights covers illegal too?
hmmmmm i didn't know mugen made anything that was illegal.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
parm104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,779
Thanked 2,599 Times in 672 Posts
The point being is that I DONT Have a ticket for this because my headlights are clear.

I was thinking of doing it so I posted here to get the appropriate ADVICE. NOT to be scrutinized by anybody. I've been here long enough on revscene to be able to ask something politely and to receive an answer without scrutiny and assumptions. I NEVER once argued that it should be illegal. I SIMPLY said that since I see it so often, THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT IT WAS. Posted in here, found out, problem solved.

Any other discussion about people making excuses it totally irrelevant and I don't see why it's being brought up?
__________________
Clicky Clicky For my Feedback
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
umpadupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,362
Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
^ just admit it.. soundy got u a lil LOL

ANYWAYS good 2 noe i cant smoke my head lights.. does that include tail lights too?
__________________
-94 civic hatch
-01 civic coupe si Sold
-13 Frs
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpadupa View Post
does that include tail lights too?
If you read the thread, you'd have your answer.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
umpadupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,362
Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
damn..
__________________
-94 civic hatch
-01 civic coupe si Sold
-13 Frs
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net