REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #51
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
Holy moly, have you ever heard of healthcare? I suppose you think thats free huh? There is no way we should be taxing the very things that equate to heathcare usage then right?

Your sig is correct...your ignorance is bliss.
Think about it. Health Care comes from the people's money. While maintaining a good relationship with alcohol/tobacco corporation leads to business opportunities onces those "politicians" get out of office.

Hmmm, lemme see, your health or my pocket? Tought choice.
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #52
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
What sort of solution do I propose? How about adjusting the penalty to fit the crime? I don't expect "experienced" drivers to be exempt from the same laws as less experienced ones, but I do expect the law to be just and fair. How about opening more venues that allows people itching to race to do it in a safe, legal manner? Instead of going to MRP once a week when it's nice, how about closing off a few streets in industrial parks with the participation of the RCMP and, after signing a waiver, go for a few drags? How about ignoring all of the NIMBY's who whine and complain about noise from a track that's miles away and build a track anyway?

No, talking on a forum wont change anything; however, it will help gather and hone ideas on what may work if and when it's ever presented.
I'm in agreement with you there Lomac. There needs to be safe and legal venues to race. I've stated in my earlier arguments that I don't have a problem with track racing. I just don't want it done on roads where there's a chance of innocent people who had no intention of participating in the race getting hurt. (whether it be intentional or accidental)

Closing off streets with the participation of the police is a good idea, and to be honest, is the only SOLUTION I've seen in this thread. Every other response in here seems to just want to bash me for my opinions, yet not offer anything in terms of a solution.

Only issue I may see with that is funding for an event like this. I'm not sure if the public is cool with throwing their tax dollars to serve a special interest group. However, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get some kind of private/corporate sponsorship for this or charge some kind of admission?
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #53
dustinb

Ok, well here's my viewpoint on why so much money is being pumped into anti street racing, and fines are much higher then DUI.

Being allowed to drink is considered acceptable by our society, as is driving (Well except for some who see the car as a devil). For the most part, anyone can go out and drink whenever they want, same with driving - doesn't matter time of day, have a drink. You won't be shunned (unless total alcoholic). Now, lets say you get a ticket for DUI and lose your license. Socially, you are an outcast. Friends and family will be disgusted with what you did (with the odd exception to fucked up families). Like seriously, does anyone here really think driving while drunk is a good thing? I don't, and I think anyone that does it is a fucking moron.

NOW, take street racing. We can all say that anyone who street races is an idiot. And by that, I think most people are thinking about the scenario where two cars are endangering lives in a busy road etc, they are not thinking about the drives where you're cutting through corners on a back road of lake cowichan. The reason you are thinking is way because of its social acceptance. Even the people who are doing the danger street racing at high speeds on a busy street (pedestrian or traffic, doesn't matter), if they are caught street racing (without killing someone), they are NOT going to be held up to the same social ridicule as if they got a DUI. In fact, their friends might joke about it, how So and So lost his license because of street racing: "haha what an idiot, lol, it was so funny!!". If it was a DUI it would be "what were you thinking you moron? I can't believe I'm friends with you".

Because the social implications aren't even on the same page, if street racing didn't have the much larger fines (proportionally), then the number of incidents would just increase, and with that increase, so would the potential for another death.

Anyways, I hope that made some sort of sense...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #54
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
wasn't this moved to FC? it's been copied back here?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

LOL@PPL ARGUING FOR SOMETHING THEY ALL DID ATLEAST ONCE BEFORE
pandalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #56
I am Hook'd on RS

Isn't comparing Drinking and Driving and Street racing like comparing Apples and Oranges. I mean they both grow on trees and you could eat the both at the same time, maybe make a some kind of punch to drink. Plus there's all kinds of different apples and brands of oranges. Plus the different families like Pears and Grapefruit, sort of lost cousins or something. And when you smash them together it just makes a big mess then someone yells at you for making a big mess, so you lick it up clean as possible and make the dog/cat clean the rest.

.... wait, what was I say?!
KinseySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #57
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I think it all comes down to a few people ruining it for everyone sort of deal... its like anything, some stupid kids who cant drive drive 140 since they've only driven 50 in their mom's car before go and wrap themselves around a tree...everyone sees this and thinks that everyone who goes fast is going to do this

as for the drunk driving thing, i guess its not too comparable and i have no facts but from most of our points of view we figure it should be lesser of a penalty because most of us are good drivers and have a brain to make a good decision (most people are bad drivers and dumb as f@#$ it goes back up to my earlier point). What I think is screwed up is the fact that the law says that drunk driving is less punishable??? WTF is up with that?...so i have no real argument but those are my thoughts...
neverfastenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
Banned By Establishment

I didn't make this thread expecting that laws are going to change, come on people. Of course that's what we have MPs for, but even then it would take a lot of convincing to get an MP to even mention that our street racing penalties have been blown out of proportion. Lose your license for at least a year for endangering basically your own life? Simply put, that's essentially the same as driving without a seat belt.

I just wrote this thread after noticing people joking about these two cars that had an accident on knight and 33rd, and some people stepped in and joked that it was street racing. They're playing on the common stigma that people nowadays shun street racing much more than drunk driving. In addition, a young male got into an accident? Oh - street racing!

There's so much social stigma behind street racing that it's radically blown out of proportion IMO, and I just wanted to step out of the capitalistic anti-street racing bandwagon and shed some light on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Closing off streets with the participation of the police is a good idea, and to be honest, is the only SOLUTION I've seen in this thread. Every other response in here seems to just want to bash me for my opinions, yet not offer anything in terms of a solution.
I think that's a given, minus the police presence due to cost and manpower reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post

Because the social implications aren't even on the same page, if street racing didn't have the much larger fines (proportionally), then the number of incidents would just increase, and with that increase, so would the potential for another death.
The anti street racing laws were passed recently though, within a couple years ago. The spike in SR related deaths was around early 2000. It goes to show after a bunch of people start dying, it wakes people up, and that was enough to really tone down the amount of SR incidences since then.

On top of the wake up call, expensive fines and losing your license for a year was doing fine after the spike in deaths. But to add insult to injury (no pun intended), they recently make it criminal as well!
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #59
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
On top of the wake up call, expensive fines and losing your license for a year was doing fine after the spike in deaths. But to add insult to injury (no pun intended), they recently make it criminal as well!
You can thank Harper and the conservatives for that one.
They run a hard nosed platform when it comes to crime, similar to what Bush was doing in the US. Put everyone in jail, and ask questions later.

I'm with you on this one though. It was not necessary to make street racing a federal offense, nor was it necessary to give the police the powers they have to pull licenses. The recent catastrophic events the police are responsible for are a good indication that these goofs don't need more power. They need to be reigned in, like pit bulls.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #60
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandalove View Post
LOL@PPL ARGUING FOR SOMETHING THEY ALL DID ATLEAST ONCE BEFORE
werd

now dont fucking bullshit the bullshiter
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #61
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

Bump!
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #62
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
damn crazy bump evolove!

Anyway, I moved this out of fight club for nostalgia purposes. And to think, this wasn't even really old time RS.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #63
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
This is how we street race on the Island yo!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #64
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
This is how we street race on the Island yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qogedvk1buU
I heard that the stretch of Blanshard near Uptown and Save On was used as a drag strip at midnight until a couple of years ago. It was actually organized by cops. They stopped because of an accident.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #65
I STILL don't get it

More info on electric CRX swap please
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #66
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
that CRX swap

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
/endthread

BC imposing tougher penalties for stunt driving, street racers - NEWS 1130

NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The provincial government is announcing a new crackdown on dangerous driving which could see those caught street racing lose their driving privileges for up to three years and not just a few days.

The new rules, which will take effect on December 1st, replace the existing 15-day penalty for street racing or stunt driving with much longer penalties, which would be determined by Road Safety BC on a case-by-case basis.

Most driving bans will be between three and 36 months under the new regulations and they’ll also apply to a broader range of offenses like excessive speeding, driving without due care and attention and other high-risk driving behaviours that present an immediate risk to the safety of the public.

Markita Kaulius with Families for Justice lost her daughter several years ago after a crash in Surrey. She’s happy with the government’s move.

“When people are driving erratically, speeding not paying attention to the road, that puts everyone at risk and we have seen far too many people lose their lives because of erratic and dangerous driving,” she says.

She’s pleased with the tougher penalties but admits they’re not always enforced. “That’s where a lot of our problems are lacking, is people have done this many times and continue to do so if our penalties are not enforced. If there’s no accountability or enforcement and they’ve been able to get away with it numerous times, they’ll continue to do so.”

Delta Police Chief Constable Neil Dubord tells NEWS 1130 says he, like many other police chiefs, are in favour of the incoming changes. “[We’re] supportive of this kind of penalty and review of people’s driving records based on their past driving history and whether or not they are frequent flyers in programs where they have risky driver behaviour.”

He’s hopeful the new law will be key to helping people make the best decision when behind the wheel. “When people actually lose their cars, there is an impact. And when you lose your car, say if it was up to three months or longer, at that point in time, I think it does have an impact and it will send a strong message. And it’s a small number of people who are actually displaying these kind of risky driving behaviours. Ninety per cent of the drivers are really good, but it’s always that 10 per cent are always causing us some grief.”

Dubord says street racing has an incredible effect on BC roads. “The types of behaviour that stunting have, dangerous driving have, street racing — all actually cause us to be concerned in relation to the amount of collisions they cause and to the level of anxiety they bring to other drivers on the road. We’ve all been on the highway before where we’re going 100 km/h and someone comes by you at 150 km/h, 160 km/h or 170 km/h and the level of startle that brings to you when someone comes by that fast — there’s an impact to everyone on the road.”

Victoria says police will still be allowed to immediately impound cars for up a minimum of seven days if drivers are caught either street racing or stunt driving.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #68
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
/endthread

NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The provincial government is announcing a new crackdown on dangerous driving which could see those caught street racing lose their driving privileges for up to three years and not just a few days.

The new rules, which will take effect on December 1st, replace the existing 15-day penalty for street racing or stunt driving with much longer penalties, which would be determined by Road Safety BC on a case-by-case basis.

Most driving bans will be between three and 36 months under the new regulations and they’ll also apply to a broader range of offenses like excessive speeding, driving without due care and attention and other high-risk driving behaviours that present an immediate risk to the safety of the public.

Markita Kaulius with Families for Justice lost her daughter several years ago after a crash in Surrey. She’s happy with the government’s move.

“When people are driving erratically, speeding not paying attention to the road, that puts everyone at risk and we have seen far too many people lose their lives because of erratic and dangerous driving,” she says.

She’s pleased with the tougher penalties but admits they’re not always enforced. “That’s where a lot of our problems are lacking, is people have done this many times and continue to do so if our penalties are not enforced. If there’s no accountability or enforcement and they’ve been able to get away with it numerous times, they’ll continue to do so.”

Delta Police Chief Constable Neil Dubord tells NEWS 1130 says he, like many other police chiefs, are in favour of the incoming changes. “[We’re] supportive of this kind of penalty and review of people’s driving records based on their past driving history and whether or not they are frequent flyers in programs where they have risky driver behaviour.”

He’s hopeful the new law will be key to helping people make the best decision when behind the wheel. “When people actually lose their cars, there is an impact. And when you lose your car, say if it was up to three months or longer, at that point in time, I think it does have an impact and it will send a strong message. And it’s a small number of people who are actually displaying these kind of risky driving behaviours. Ninety per cent of the drivers are really good, but it’s always that 10 per cent are always causing us some grief.”

Dubord says street racing has an incredible effect on BC roads. “The types of behaviour that stunting have, dangerous driving have, street racing — all actually cause us to be concerned in relation to the amount of collisions they cause and to the level of anxiety they bring to other drivers on the road. We’ve all been on the highway before where we’re going 100 km/h and someone comes by you at 150 km/h, 160 km/h or 170 km/h and the level of startle that brings to you when someone comes by that fast — there’s an impact to everyone on the road.”

Victoria says police will still be allowed to immediately impound cars for up a minimum of seven days if drivers are caught either street racing or stunt driving.
Haven't street raced. I know my car is not designed for straight line acceleration anyway.

I remember there was a truck that wanted to race me for some reason. I just ignored it. I mean, beating a 1.3L naturally aspirated engine in a straight line is nothing to be proud of.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Old thread is old, but that's some fucked up logic in the OP.

That is like arguing that it's safer to shoot yourself in the head than it is to drive drunk because only 561 people died from self-inflicted gun shot wounds in Canada (average 2003-2012, Globe & Mail) whereas 1451 people died in incidents related to impaired driving (2013, MADD.ca).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
I keep reading the thread title as 'street racing cafe'

thinking it's some new espot lined with battle gear, wangan midnight and initial D machines
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #71
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
/endthread

I don't think this would be as much of problem if drivers routinely checked their mirrors and stayed the out of the passing lane.
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #72
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The words street racing and safe do not go hand in hand. How can 2 young hot heads (most of which are new drivers with limited experience) with fast cars and no gear on public roads at night comparing the size of their dicks be safe? We've all been there, and now looking back, it was hardly "safe", compared to a track.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #73
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sounds like what Jeremy Clarkson would say.
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote