REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
oh you just look so big

WTF??? 2GB + 2GB = 3GB? What's going on with my RAM?

Help! Up until today I've been running 2.5 GB of RAM (2GB + 512MB) in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite 100 -036), but lately I've been doing a lot of photoshopping while listening to music and surfing the web and it's been a little choppy, so I went out and bought another 2GB stick.

I put it in, restarted my computer, it recognized the new hardware, gave my computer a higher Windows rating and all, but when I check, it says I only have 3 GB of RAM. What gives?

As far as I knew 32-bit Vista (which is my OS) was capable of recognizing up to 3.5 GB of RAM...is my new RAM simply mis-labelled? (it's a Cruical one from BestBuy).

Thanks.

EDIT: well, according to some of the stuff I've read it's because I don't have SP1...is that true?
Advertisement

Last edited by B4N M3; 03-17-2009 at 12:20 AM.
B4N M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
y not update to SP1 and see? plus u should always be the most update to date with any service pack releases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
if you really want to see if its miss labeled just take out your original ram and check with just your new stick in
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
oh you just look so big

I'm downloading it right now (didn't want to start it yesterday 'cuz I wanted to go to sleep lol)

urrrh: while that's an easy way to test it, I don't like monkeying around too much with the computer and if I don't have to take out/put RAM back in if I don't have to, I'd rather not. The screw for the door is already a little stripped haha.

I'll let you guys know if SP1 solves my problem...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

SP1 will just TELL YOU that you have 4gigs of ram, but it won't be able to utilize it.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

32bit OS's only recognizes up to a total of 4gig ram including your video. So if you have a 500mb video card ram, the rest of your system ram is basically un-utilized... I had this same problem too
hoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

if you want to make use of your ram (or more) grab a 64 bit OS and you should be able to see and utilize all the ram
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
oh you just look so big

Thanks for the replies...I tried downloading SP1, but the bastard won't install...I hate Windows.

Even so, it's noticeably faster with the new RAM than it was before...I'm very happy