REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Ontario Stunt Driving Law

Another tough new law in Ontario for people who get caught speeding....

Quote:
Short story for you on this Monday am,

My friend lives on the Qc side of the Ottawa river, and over the w-e, him and his passenger were heading to Toronto from Ottawa on the 401.

When getting close to Oshawa, the highway becomes three lanes in each direction. He said that there was slow traffic on the passing lanes, so he decided to overtake them on the right, and was driving at a fairly high speed, (around 145km/h).

Long story short, an OPP helicopter spotted my friend's new car speeding and changing lanes, so the flying OPP phoned his fellow s ahead. Caught by Eagle one, can you imagine that! Bahahaha!

My friend kept driving unweary that two kilometres ahead, there would be 2 patrol cars and a tow truck waiting for him.

My friend spent over an hour in the back of the cruiser, while his passenger tried to talk the from towing the vehicle. Unfortunatley, it didn't work.

My friend handed over his license and car keys. His car got towed and the vehicle is now impounded for a full week. He lost immediately his license for 7 days, and received a $2500 fine. Plus he will be facing charges under the new Ontario Stunt Driving Law.

Once the trial over, he could have his license suspended for two years!!

I think laws and regulations are definitely getting over the top, specially for motorists. Laws like this one are usually crafted in the comfort of Parliament to please overprotective mothers and other designated voters without thinking of the real life implications for other groups, like in this case average motorists.

For example, my friend is an insurance broker, who needs his car to work. He is very succesful, and will undoubtedly hire a good lawyer to fight and win this, or in case he doesn't win, the company will surely provide a driver, and deduct it from their income taxes. But imagine others who cannot afford this luxury and could potentially lose their jobs for several years because of a single speeding incident. A thousand dollar fine is not enough, let's take his car for a week and license for a year. You're not really disuading anyone from speeding, you just increasing the penalty; what's the real intent of this kind of repressive measures?

Anyway, my friend took this as well as he could, and was only insulted by the fact the OPP left him, his passenger and their luggage on the highway exit, without offering a ride, or calling a cab. "You're on your own"

I took a look at the new law and it will be considered "stunt driving" if you do any of the following:

- Lifting any tire from the surface of the road
- Intentionally causing any tire to lose traction while turning
- Left turn at a green light before allowing straight-through traffic to proceed
- Having the intention of causing a vehicle to spin
- Driving a vehicle in oncoming lanes next to another vehicle longer than is "resonably" required to pass
- Driving with someone in the trunk
- Driving while not sitting in the driver's seat
- Driving more than 50kph (approx. 30mph) over the speed limit
- Driving in a way that prevents others from passing
- Slowing down with the intention of slowing or interfering with another vehicle
- Driving with the inention of driving as close as possible to a vehicle

The Act also bans driving a motor vehicle on a highway with a connected nitrous oxide system; and bans cars adapted for street racing (can be seized and destroyed, even if charges haven't been laid and a race has not taken place). This is ridiculous. What if I have a street legal track car!? Don't drive your track car to the track, they might mistake it for a street racing car!

The expression, "pedal to the metal" is now officially overrated in Ontario.
Drive safe.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241136
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Driving with someone in the trunk
ok, peanut butter jelly time
Kang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
it should also be noted that the OPP are also targeting cars at performance shops getting work done as possible street racing cars and seizing them i believe..

so they will crush your car before you even get to drive it, thats just ridiculous...

like the article says, what if you have a street legal or even a DD track car, how are you supposed to get it to/from the track? not everyone can afford a trailer and a truck to pull it.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
They don't have enough shooting and gang violence over there to occupy the politicians.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't know where some people are getting their information, but they don't go out and crush cars at performance shops. Fear-mongering anyone?

If you read up on the situation in Ontario you'll find that a large majority of people who have been charged have not been convicted as the charge doesn't hold up in court. Of course, anyone could see this coming - the wording of the law is just too vague.

The guy in this example is whining about doing 145 km/h and swerving into the right lane to pass? Did you know that he's an insurance broker? I say he got what he deserves and has nothing to complain about.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
- Lifting any tire from the surface of the road
- Intentionally causing any tire to lose traction while turning
- Left turn at a green light before allowing straight-through traffic to proceed
- Having the intention of causing a vehicle to spin
- Driving a vehicle in oncoming lanes next to another vehicle longer than is "resonably" required to pass
- Driving with someone in the trunk
- Driving while not sitting in the driver's seat
- Driving more than 50kph (approx. 30mph) over the speed limit
- Slowing down with the intention of slowing or interfering with another vehicle
- Driving with the inention of driving as close as possible to a vehicle
Damn, I think I've done all of these at some point or another in my life.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
This idiot is posting all over, its on 2 local Ottawa forms. NONE of us feel sorry for him (I moved from Ottawa 5 months ago).

Everyone in Ontario is well aware of this law, and passing cars doing ~150 (notice he states 145, he was probably doing > 150 for awhile since the chopper was following him) in the SLOW lane is not advised in any circumstance. Even without this law he could've easily got a dangerous/careless driving ticket.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
I don't know where some people are getting their information, but they don't go out and crush cars at performance shops. Fear-mongering anyone?
There's lots of mis-information on this law. It was meant to target street racing, yet was broad enough to include many different "stunt" offenses. People are upset at how much discretion the officer has to define "stunt", ie if you spin a tire cause its wet you COULD be charged, yet several officers have posted online that common sense prevails.

There is a PACER program where cops are targeting modified cars, since lets be honest, modified cars are more likely to drive illegally. They are checking for illegal mods, which they have every right to. Fart cans are annoying, and limo tint unsafe for officers.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
like the article says, what if you have a street legal or even a DD track car, how are you supposed to get it to/from the track? not everyone can afford a trailer and a truck to pull it.
That's not an article, its some idiot's rant.

If your car is street legal you'll beable to drive it to the track. Don't let one idiot's exaggeration of the law sway you.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i think it's silly for him to claim how it's unfair to other groups IE regular motorists that these laws are too over the top

YOU GO 145 KM/H on a highway where you're not allowed to and you think you should just be let go?

what reasoning does the OP have for that?

and the part where he said his friend can afford to get a lawyer and win the battle and normal people wouldn't be able to.
Well fuck normal people don't go those speeds. common sense has failed this individual.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

That's an interesting combination of:
1. Driving too fast
2. Driving too slow
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

these 2 can b a real big dilemma
ChyahGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
lol where is "teaming up with another motorist to block the whole road at no less than 5km/h below speed limit"

ROFL.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
There's lots of mis-information on this law. It was meant to target street racing, yet was broad enough to include many different "stunt" offenses.
Now you're the one providing mis-information.

The law was meant to catch dangerous and aggresive drivers and street racing was also included. Big difference in the intention of the law. The media and a few police officials called it a "street racing law" and it seems to have stuck.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Driving in a way that prevents others from passing

the guy in the left lane should be charged with this lol
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Now you're the one providing mis-information.

The law was meant to catch dangerous and aggresive drivers and street racing was also included. Big difference in the intention of the law. The media and a few police officials called it a "street racing law" and it seems to have stuck.
Dangerous and aggressive drivers could always be charged under dangerous and careless driving, a new law was not needed.

This law is a result of the police commissioner campaigning after a few recent deaths in Toronto from street racing.

"a few police officials" is a very lame way of saying the "top police officials". From the top down, this law was designed for street racing and implemented in the wake of street racing deaths.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #17

^ Sorry, but that is just plain wrong. I challenge you to find me a single government source that uses the words "street racing" in this bill.

It's only 1 or 2 cops and the media who keep using the word street racing, because it's "sensational".

If you actually read up on statistics (provided by the government of Ontario) when they were tabling this bill, street racing was way, way down the list of problems they were trying to combat. In terms of "deaths" street racing is also way down the list.

If you look at the statistics for convictions under this new law, you'll also find very few are street racing related - the vast majority are single vehicle incidents.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
^ Sorry, but that is just plain wrong. I challenge you to find me a single government source that uses the words "street racing" in this bill.

It's only 1 or 2 cops and the media who keep using the word street racing, because it's "sensational".

If you actually read up on statistics (provided by the government of Ontario) when they were tabling this bill, street racing was way, way down the list of problems they were trying to combat. In terms of "deaths" street racing is also way down the list.

If you look at the statistics for convictions under this new law, you'll also find very few are street racing related - the vast majority are single vehicle incidents.
If you lookup when the law came into affect, who supported the law and why, you'll find the reason its been labeled the "street racing" law.

There was no reason for this law, all offenses were punishable by existing dangerous/careless driving infractions, and agreesive driving was not a problem.

What was the problem is a couple deaths from street racing in the district of the bill's original sponsor, backed by the police commissioner who was campaigning.

I don't need to find "street racing" written down, you need to prove who sponsored this law, when it was sponsored, and why. I've given you enough hints.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

I'm from Ottawa, recently moved here, so I am very familiar with this law. Please read this for more history of bill 203, especially concerning the "street racers" that that brought the bill back into the limelight after having been defeated.

http://blog.legalaction.ca/does-onta...ter-of-rights/

After the bill passed and the details of the drunken idiot that pulled out infront of the "street racers" barely made the news. Sadly, this is politics at its worse, and the "street racing" name fits regardless whether its written down or now.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

145 isn't that fast. Hell I'll drive 145 on an open highway if I can, and I don't consider that speeding, just cruising.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
145 isn't that fast. Hell I'll drive 145 on an open highway if I can, and I don't consider that speeding, just cruising.
Well, to qualify for this stunt driving law, you have to be going 50kmph over the speed limit, so unless the highway has a 90kmph limit, you wouldn't have exceeded the threshold just yet...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #22
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Arent the highway speed limit in Ontario 110km/h? 145 sounds too harsh for 2500 and 7 days. and possible 2 years?
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

NO!! Street racing is bad. End of discussion, this thread's going to fight club.
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Teen clocked at 194 km/h latest charged
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
Arent the highway speed limit in Ontario 110km/h? 145 sounds too harsh for 2500 and 7 days. and possible 2 years?
100 kmph limit

OP has admitted on other forums it was > 145.

Before this law the fine for 50+ over was:
- automatic court summons
- minimum $600 fine
- judge can suspend your license.

This law has tripled the fine and added impounding your car for a week.